AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Sony str-6055 today at goodwill for $8.00. It is dirty and has some issues like when you listen to fm you have have the volume just about all the up just to hear it. And I know most of the pots and switches are dirty. The inside of this receiver is very very dirty. I kind of have a thing for anything made in 1971 which this is. Does anyone have any experience with these? I am thinking about spending a little time cleaning it up and see if it comes back to life. Any suggestions on what to do to this rig since it's my first Sony?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-465482.html

Distilled water... Less than $1/gallon.

A little paintbrush...

Maybe some isopropyl alcohol for gummy stuff...

Keep water out of transformers and pots...

Don't be too aggressive...

Let it dry out completely before plugging it back in. Set it in front of a box fan for a day or two.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I picked up a Sony str-6055 today at goodwill for $8.00. It is dirty and has some issues like when you listen to fm you have have the volume just about all the up just to hear it. And I know most of the pots and switches are dirty. The inside of this receiver is very very dirty. I kind of have a thing for anything made in 1971 which this is. Does anyone have any experience with these? I am thinking about spending a little time cleaning it up and see if it comes back to life. Any suggestions on what to do to this rig since it's my first Sony?
Set the volume very low and flip the Tape Monitor switch to Off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts