AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum and appreciate the wealth of information here. Anyways I have a weird problem with my Sony STR-DA2000ES(7.1 setup) and Sony S350 Blue-ray/PS3. player. From my PS3 going into my receiver through an optical port I get a weird popping sound coming from the right surround speaker, and right surround back speaker. The right front, left front, left surround, left surround back, and subwoofer are all fine, no issues. I notice the popping a lot more in Dolby Digital/DTS mode. Now when I take the S350 Blu-ray and plug it into the optical port I get the same popping sound. I have four optical ports in the receiver and all of them reproduce the popping sound. It's even worse when I switch chapters on a BD. Now interestingly enough when I connect the S350 through the digital coaxial input of the receiver I don't get any popping sound, but on occasion I will hear one from time to time(hardly noticeable). If the PS3 had a coaxial output I'm sure I would of gotten the same result. Judging from the tests I did, it looks like receiver has an issue with Blu-ray players. I never had this issue with my standard GE DVD player connected optically. Fortunately the coaxial input is working fine otherwise I would have to buy a whole new receiver. Can anybody explain this weirdness to me, and maybe a solution?

Thanks DRC72

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg /forum/post/15440221

Is your S350 up-to-date on firmware? If it is, and since all four optical-ins do it, I'd bring the receiver in for (warranty?) service. Good luck!

I updated the S350 on the first day I got it, and I keep up with the PS3 firmware updates as well........ The receiver is about 5 years old, so I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty. Most likely I'll be getting another receiver down the road. I was hoping maybe there was a setting somewhere that I could change to fix this. Standard Dolby Digital and DTS sounds fantastic on this receiver and that is why I am little hesitant on upgrading at this point. With the S350 on Coax I'm fine, but I can't really use the PS3 audio, except through the TV speakers, and I guess I can live with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably you´re sending a higher bit data rate than your old receiver can manage.

I read about something like this and the solution was to select a little low setting at the player, kind of 96 KHz instead of 192 KHz.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linconln /forum/post/15440757

Probably you´re sending a higher bit data rate than your old receiver can manage.

I read about something like this and the solution was to select a little low setting at the player, kind of 96 KHz instead of 192 KHz.

Cool!!!!! I'll check that out.. Do you know why the digital coax input doesn't give me trouble?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.