AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Sony is not a well liked brand here, but I still like this receiver. I had it for 11 years, used every day and not a single problem with it. Tons of inputs. Great Bass Management. Great equalizer. Happy with it's sound fields. Never needed any more watts. I was looking at upgrading, but decided I don't need to. I know the newer receivers have more bells and whistles, but I don't need them.

My Inputs:

Dish Hopper

Oppo Blu Ray

PS3

Sony XBR-52 LCD

Basically, the only multi channel sound is on Blu Ray and SACD. I use my Oppo's multi channel outputs for this. This receiver really rocks for that. Most of my viewing is the Dish.

Bottom Line: This is all the receiver I need. It will be a sad day if it ever dies.

Reactions: Philip Hamm

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've always had good experiences with Sony gear, and I have a ton of it come to think of it. Even the cheap Walmart-bought 4x50w amp in my kid's car soldiers on with zero problems. Just bought two refurb Sony Blue Ray players for $50 apiece, and they do the job too. Love their headphones.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know Sony is not a well liked brand here, but I still like this receiver. I had it for 11 years, used every day and not a single problem with it. Tons of inputs. Great Bass Management. Great equalizer. Happy with it's sound fields. Never needed any more watts. I was looking at upgrading, but decided I don't need to. I know the newer receivers have more bells and whistles, but I don't need them.

My Inputs:

Dish Hopper
Oppo Blu Ray
PS3
Sony XBR-52 LCD

Basically, the only multi channel sound is on Blu Ray and SACD. I use my Oppo's multi channel outputs for this. This receiver really rocks for that. Most of my viewing is the Dish.

Bottom Line: This is all the receiver I need. It will be a sad day if it ever dies.
Still using it? I'm betting you don't use the generally hated remote.

In my office 4.1 system I just picked one up used to replace a humming Onkyo Integra DTR-7 with blown out channels. Running SACD and DVD-A multichannel as well as LD/CD, Phono, Cassette, and a computer. Hope I'm as happy with it as you are.

The setup/UI/Ergonomics of set up are horrible coming from the Integra.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I had a Sony receiver for many years (consumer line, not ES) and have nothing but good things to say about them - great sound, lots of features, the included auto calibration was just fine, and it was much cheaper and was reliable.

Sony will never be as liked as the other brands, doesn't mean they are not as good. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This beast is still running perfect. Yep the UI isn't very friendly. No HDMI Inputs. So what, I like going straight to the TV anyway.

I sometimes look at new receivers. But I hesitate that I may get a lemon.

Like I said, lossless audio is only on Blu Ray. My Oppo and Analog Ins take care of me when I want to rock out.

The new receivers all boast 4K stuff. How much 4K is out there? Cripe, how much 1080P is out there? And 1080P has been around for years.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I had a Sony receiver for many years (consumer line, not ES) and have nothing but good things to say about them - great sound, lots of features, the included auto calibration was just fine, and it was much cheaper and was reliable.

Sony will never be as liked as the other brands, doesn't mean they are not as good. I would not hesitate to buy another one.
I'll weigh in too. I have a Sony STR-DG1000 that's now 9 years old. It's never missed a beat. Although it's also a "consumer line" AVR, it's reputed to be an STR-DG3200ES with a things omitted (e.g., RS-232 connector).

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yep, Sony is not well respected on this site. Sony made some really great electronics and was a great innovator. Also I have a Sunfire HRS-12 Subwoofer that I am really happy with. If you follow the Subwoofer Forums, Sunfire is barely mentioned there. What it all boils down to is to buy what you like and can afford and what is reliable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ive just replaced my old Sony STRDE835 that's around 20 years old with a newer Denon model.. Mainly I replaced it for the HDMI, (not necessary) The built in wifi so I can stream my favorite internet radio station in AAC, it does have audyssey , and I control it with my iphone remote app.

But I will say this, this thing was a trooper and used ALOT. It was on more than it was off and one time I forgot the B set of outdoor speakers were on and I was cranking some of my favorite stuff. I kept smelling hot metal and couldn't figure out what was up...Dang I was overheating that sucker bleeding that poor amp for all it was worth, but it never stumbled and still works perfect. It now has a new home in my basement improvised home theater area and I don't plan on getting rid of it.

Reactions: Philip Hamm

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Ive just replaced my old Sony STRDE835 that's around 20 years old with a newer Denon model.. Mainly I replaced it for the HDMI, (not necessary) The built in wifi so I can stream my favorite internet radio station in AAC, it does have audyssey , and I control it with my iphone remote app.

But I will say this, this thing was a trooper and used ALOT. It was on more than it was off and one time I forgot the B set of outdoor speakers were on and I was cranking some of my favorite stuff. I kept smelling hot metal and couldn't figure out what was up...Dang I was overheating that sucker bleeding that poor amp for all it was worth, but it never stumbled and still works perfect. It now has a new home in my basement improvised home theater area and I don't plan on getting rid of it.
That little guy served you faithfully and didn't give up, you better not get rid of him :) Now if it had been an Onkyo.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts