AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just plunked down a bit of change for an entire new home theatre system, all centered around the new Sony receiver. I've noticed on a lot of other boards that people are not real excited about the Sony units? Does anyone out there have one of these, and if so how do you like it?

The only other "alternative" I was even considering was the Denon 5805, but since it's not released for at least another month, and is $1500 more, I went with the Sony.

Any thoughts?

p.s. I need a unit with a minimum of 2 DVI/HDMI inputs + 1 DVI/HDMI to DVI out, and 3 optical inputs, so that limits me somewhat to what is out there. I also would prefer NOT to go with separates due to rack space limitations.

Thnx

·
Registered
339 Posts
The latest line of Sony ES receivers have had some problems with noise, upconversion and level adjustment. This has been primarily the 2000/3000/5000 units. The problems appear to be resolved, but initially they were so prevalent that the ES image is still a bit tarnished. The 9000 didn't seem to have anywhere near the problems (probably due to fewer units sold and catching the problems early in the production). When the units work properly, they are excellent by nearly all accounts.

Paul

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Did anyone notice, the specs for this 9000 say it weighs 62 pounds!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by paulbf1
The latest line of Sony ES receivers have had some problems with noise, upconversion and level adjustment. This has been primarily the 2000/3000/5000 units. The problems appear to be resolved, but initially they were so prevalent that the ES image is still a bit tarnished. The 9000 didn't seem to have anywhere near the problems (probably due to fewer units sold and catching the problems early in the production). When the units work properly, they are excellent by nearly all accounts.

Paul
i did see the details on the lower end units, but the few folks i talked to on agoraquest that have them swear that this is a non issue on the new ones. having said that, they are a BIT biased as that is a Sony only board for the most part.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ZZtop
Did anyone notice, the specs for this 9000 say it weighs 62 pounds!
you should see this thing, it's 16 inches tall and i'd be suprised if it ONLY weighed 62 pounds. it's a BEAST

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've heard the 9000es and it sounded terrrific, no hiss, clean, tons of headroom. Haven't heard the 5805 but I'm not a big believer in the specs Denon claims for their recievers.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The DA9000 is a great receiver. It's the best sounding receiver for music and movies. The Z9 is close in multi-ch and the 59TXi is close in stereo, but overall the DA9000 beats both.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Landroval
The DA9000 is a great receiver. It's the best sounding receiver for music and movies. The Z9 is close in multi-ch and the 59TXi is close in stereo, but overall the DA9000 beats both.
the rx-z9 was my initial choice until i saw the Sony's video capabilities. That sealed the deal for me. I also looked at the 59TXi, but it was a distant 3rd to the other two.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
for pure sound quality I found the oppposite. The 59 Txi sounded best, detailed but not bright and clean all the way to max output. The latest version of MCACC is nothing short of amazing. The Sony was a close second and if i didn't already spend $$ on DVI switching I would have seriously considered it. The Z9 I heard was very nice and very different from other Yammies I've heard (usually thin to my ears) but not as good as the other two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to avs... have been reading on and off for a couple of years now. I'm getting ready for a system upgrade and am looking at the the da9000es and poineer elite 56txi. I have a couple of questions for owners of these units: can I drive my old martin logan sequal ll speakers for the front channels and 4 rear much more efficient speakers in a 7.1 setup? also, I notice that sony doesn't have dpllx, or auto calibration. thanks for any info on this,

wsbs

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Landroval
No way, IMO.

9000 has no acoustic calibration, can't process DVD-A through i-link, has significantly worse DACs (for AV processor mode to connect additional amps) and other elements, such as operational amplifiers in the analog pathway. It uses the same DSD->PCM converter SM5819A, as both of the mentioned receivers, but after it for DSP processing has significantly less powerful and quite old DSP CXD9718Q (formats decoder, actually the main DSP), used in almost all Sony models, including the budget ones with only 1 DSP.

In comparison both 59TXi and Z9 use the modern AD Ultra Sharc DSP (ADSST21161N or ADSP21161N) as the formats decoder ..., High-End DACs, can perform acoustic room calibration, can process all formats through i-link, etc.

5805 can do even more, but it is a new, almost twice more expensive model.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.