Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

My 16-year-old Realistic P.O.S. receiver finally died, so I went out looking for a replacement. Not surprisingly, there have been a lot of advances in receiver technology in the last 16 years. :) (They're still really big, though...) Anyway, my needs are really pretty modest, so I purchased the Sony STR-DE595. This has what appears to be a decent trade-off between features and price. (Admittedly, I did not do a lot of research in this area, and don't want to get off on a tangent of "you should have bought...") I only have two speakers, I may add more now that I have a place to hook them...but I digress.

The real reason for this post is that none of the codes in my RS 15-2104 remote seem to work with this receiver. After reading some of the posts in this and other forums, I decided I liked the added simplicity that the RS 15-2116's LCD screen brings to programming, so I picked one up.

I was disappointed, although, not entirely surprised that this remote also does not seem to work with my new receiver. I was able to learn enough buttons to make it fairly useful, but wanted to ask if anyone had any other suggestions for me. Although, I had to make the guide button act as the power button for the receiver...

I don't understand why the Sony receiver doesn't work with any of the Sony codes. I thought about buying a JP-1 cable...I have the ability, but not the time to make my own...I've read pretty much about them, and I'm sure that would allow me to solve my problem. I'm just not sure I want to invest that much time into this. I may still do it, but it just seems like the brand new universal remote should program the brand new receiver I just bought.

The new 2116 is easy to program, but it doesn't look like I can program advanced codes on it. (Can I?)

Radio Shack has a fairly decent return policy, so I could return the RS remote and get something else, but I don't want anything with a touch screen, and I really don't want to spend more than $50...

Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Don't blame the makers of the universal remote, lay all the blame on sony for adding a second code set and then making it the factory default. You can change your receiver to accept the old code set,which you'll find in the 2116. But with your particular model, you can change the receiver, but not oem remote. See this thread at RC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Edmund
Don't blame the makers of the universal remote, lay all the blame on sony for adding a second code set and then making it the factory default. You can change your receiver to accept the old code set,which you'll find in the 2116. But with your particular model, you can change the receiver, but not oem remote. See this (URL removed because I can't post URL's yet...)
Wow, that is a great page. I did all kinds of seraches on this and didn't find that post. Thanks.

It looks like this might get me closer, however, when I set my receiver to AV1, I can only get my universal remote to turn it on and off and to mute it. Nothing else works. I can't change the volume, I can't change the channel and I can't choose the input. And since I can't set my factory remote to AV1, I can't "learn" these buttons. Close, but not quite.

After looking around some more, I decided to purchase the All For One version of this remote. Mostly because it has more buttons than the equivalent Radio Shack remote. Looking at the OFA manual online, it looks like this remote is exactly the same internally as the RS version. So, I will probably have the same situation with that remote. I just wanted more buttons. I also ordered a JP1 cable.

Barring using the JP1 cable, is it possible to program advanced codes with this remote? I thought about using my old RS remote to send the advanced code and "learning" it with the new remote, but it seems like there should be a more direct way.

At this point, I have a macro to turn things on, but I'd like to use the discreet code for my tv to select the input source, rather than the channel up, input toggle hack. Also, discreet codes for on and off would be nice to make sure I don't turn off something that is already on.

I know I am rambling in this post..sorry...

-Todd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by toddtmw
After looking around some more, I decided to purchase the All For One version of this remote. Mostly because it has more buttons...
Forgot to mention that the OFA version, the 8910 is upgradable. If I read correctly in the other posts, I can call customer service and they will upgrade the remote to work with my stereo...

-Todd

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If the vol commands aren't working your receiver, the vol lock might be on? You can set the vol lock to a certain device( say TV), then you can unlock it for individual devices(like your receiver). The new setup code for Sony receivers found in ofa/rs remotes nowadays don't accept advanced codes. But there's a workaround, by using the Sony Tape deck code, see this thread. Using these Advanced codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.