AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend got new Sony STR-DE685 a week ago and has been using it a little, it is in perfect condition, but he doesn't want it anymore, wants something more high end, so he said he'd let me have it for $140, and it goes for like $250 or something, is the sony worth it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here'a link to its specs:
http://www.nowonsale.com/itempage.asp?item=STRDE685

Has anyone had any experience with this reciever? It's not in the same price range as the Pioneer VSX-D411, but with the good price my friend is giving me it is. Would the Sony be better than the Pioneer? Price isn't always everything, so if the $250 Sony (which I'm getting for $140) isn't as good as the Pioneer for $140, I'd rather go for the Pioneer rather than Sony just because its more expensive. Thanks!

Suke

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
For general HT applications, the lower end Sony AVRs are pretty good deals. They can't crank out zillions of watts of power, but they can still crank out some sound. I'm using a DE series model from a couple generations back (got it November 2000) and have been quite happy with it.

Granted, it's not as clean as the ES or Pioneer Elite models, but unless you have pretty high end speakers, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Your satisfaction with this unit will depend on your expectations and your speakers. If you are using moderately priced speakers, you really wouldn't notice much of an improvement by moving up to some of the more expensive units. Also be aware that most, if not all, of the receivers in the $300-$500 price-range are fairly equal when it comes to moderate sound levels with surround sound sources.

If you like it, go for it...the price is very reasonable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.