AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to put together a budget system.


I have a PS3 that I primarily use for games, dvds and blu-ray. Not a big music buff but I do listen to it from time to time.


I just bought 2 Polk Monitor 50s for my fronts.


I have in the closet, an Onkyo TX-SR373, it doesn't even do Dolby Digital so thats pretty much out of contention.


My boss wants to sell me his Sony STR-DE945, It seems like a good receiver, lack of HDMI kinda sucks but I can deal with that. I'm not really sure what price I should offer him for this, or if I should just go ahead and get a new receiver like a HK 254 or a Onkyo TX-SR606..


If you think I'd be ok with just the Sony (which I don't see why not) What would be a fair price for both of us?


Thanks, and sorry for the noobishness...
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,657 Posts
Get something newer. That Sony is 6-7 years old.


The Onkyo 606 is a great entry level receiver and can be found here for $279 (minor cosmetics). Get the one for $319 if cosmetics are important.

The Onkyo 576 is still available and is a nice sounding AVR. I had a 506 for a while - sound quality was very good for the price.


Harman Kardon's ebay store sells many AVRs every day for cheap. Take a look at
the long list of AVRs - 21 will be sold today - prices vary - the 154 is the bargain basement model - goes for around $125 - the 247 and the 254 have the exact same amp - prices are from $160-200 for the 247 - $220 and up for the 254. If you want to step up a bit there is the 347 - not much different than the 247 - a bit more power - the 354 is the powerhouse of the current offerings - but power isn't all that important. Look for features.


The HK 247 is probably the best deal going on AVRs lately. Selling them on ebay gives the appearance of 'dumping' them - but its no different than what Onkyo or Marantz does with their refurbished AVRs on Accessories4Less - but HK makes a bit more by cutting out the middle man - Accessories4Less as an example - and pockets the savings - and you get a better deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16993418


Get something newer. That Sony is 6-7 years old.


The Onkyo 606 is a great entry level receiver and can be found here for $279 (minor cosmetics). Get the one for $319 if cosmetics are important.

The Onkyo 576 is still available and is a nice sounding AVR. I had a 506 for a while - sound quality was very good for the price.


Harman Kardon's ebay store sells many AVRs every day for cheap. Take a look at
the long list of AVRs - 21 will be sold today - prices vary - the 154 is the bargain basement model - goes for around $125 - the 247 and the 254 have the exact same amp - prices are from $160-200 for the 247 - $220 and up for the 254. If you want to step up a bit there is the 347 - not much different than the 247 - a bit more power - the 354 is the powerhouse of the current offerings - but power isn't all that important. Look for features.


The HK 247 is probably the best deal going on AVRs lately. Selling them on ebay gives the appearance of 'dumping' them - but its no different than what Onkyo or Marantz does with their refurbished AVRs on Accessories4Less - but HK makes a bit more by cutting out the middle man - Accessories4Less as an example - and pockets the savings - and you get a better deal.

Thanks for the reply, I had actually been watching those HK AVR 254's on eBay for a couple weeks, and posted in the slick deals thread about them..


All the other info you gave me is very helpful as well, thanks for taking the time to reply!
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintz /forum/post/16993479


Thanks for the reply, I had actually been watching those HK AVR 254's on eBay for a couple weeks, and posted in the slick deals thread about them..


All the other info you gave me is very helpful as well, thanks for taking the time to reply!

It would be difficult to go wrong with the 254 - or even the 247 - which I own one of and use in the bedroom setup.


I take it you will be filling out the Polk 50s with a center and surrounds? Polk Audio is also on ebay - the Monitor 30s and 40s are great sounding speakers and matches perfect with the 50s - and you can get the matching CS1 center from them also. The Monitor 30s would be best for the surrounds - they are smaller and easier to place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16993835


It would be difficult to go wrong with the 254 - or even the 247 - which I own one of and use in the bedroom setup.


I take it you will be filling out the Polk 50s with a center and surrounds? Polk Audio is also on ebay - the Monitor 30s and 40s are great sounding speakers and matches perfect with the 50s - and you can get the matching CS1 center from them also. The Monitor 30s would be best for the surrounds - they are smaller and easier to place.

Yes, I had planned on getting a CS1 center, and had not yet looked into the surrounds, but those Monitor 30's are an obvious choice



I'm upgrading from a decent little Panasonic HTIB, I'm hoping the difference will be signifigant enough that my wife won't yell at me too much!
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintz /forum/post/16993865


Yes, I had planned on getting a CS1 center, and had not yet looked into the surrounds, but those Monitor 30's are an obvious choice



I'm upgrading from a decent little Panasonic HTIB, I'm hoping the difference will be signifigant enough that my wife won't yell at me too much!

It'll be significant - if you don't buy that Sony.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:-D


I actually have the sony sitting on my desk playing some tunes through my monitor 50s as we speak. It's not too bad at all, but I've already told him I wont be buying it.. HDMI switching and cosmetics are two big thumbs up for the HK that this sony lacks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,909 Posts

Quote:
HDMI switching and cosmetics are two big thumbs up for the HK that this sony lacks

and real 7 channel power, sound quality, HD audio decoding, Logic7 processing, Zone 2 outputs, and so on and so on....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16994041


and real 7 channel power, sound quality, HD audio decoding, Logic7 processing, Zone 2 outputs, and so on and so on....

=] I know.. the list goes on and on... Those were just the top 2 off the top of my head... thanks for the input!



Now I just have to figure out how to slip all this past the wife, haha
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16994041


and real 7 channel power, sound quality, HD audio decoding, Logic7 processing, Zone 2 outputs, and so on and so on....

So many good reasons
not to buy the Sony.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my wife and I laid out the terms of an agreement, as long as I put at the very minimum $500/month into savings, she won't yell if I buy stuff, so its on..



(something I really should have been doing for a long time anyhow)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top