AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just got my new STR-DG720 set up and loving it with my PS3. The problem is, when I try to get it to push the sound from the TV through the speakers, it doesn't work -- it just uses the TV speakers instead.

I tried switching to TV + Amp, have the input on TV, and still nothing. I have the HDMI cable connected properly, since I get video through the PS3. Any help would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you meant the receiver, it is connected by HDMI to the HDMI Out slot, as it says in the manual.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
What do you mean when you say you are trying to push the sound from the TV to your speakers? What is the source of the audio you are trying to hear - is it the PS3 audio or something else?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the HDTV doesn't output audio over HDMI? I just want to know, since I didn't connect an optical cable. I don't really have one. lol

The source of the audio is the TV itself. I'm trying to watch cable with my speakers. Maybe I am too used to have sound through my PS3 to tell.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
I think he wants to be able to hear his tv through the amp, but doesn't have an output connected, he might be thinking the tv will "push" audio back out the HDMI input and into the HDMI output on the amp...I could be worng though.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuto /forum/post/15564619

So the HDTV doesn't output audio over HDMI? I just want to know, since I didn't connect an optical cable. I don't really have one. lol

The source of the audio is the TV itself. I'm trying to watch cable with my speakers. Maybe I am too used to have sound through my PS3 to tell.

If you have a cable set top box, you need to run an optical audio cable from it to an input on your receiver. Or, if you you have a direct cable input to your TV without a set top box, you need to run an optical cable from the TV's digital output to an input on your receiver. Then, switch your receiver to that input.

The HDMI cable is an output from the receiver to the TV. Video and audio only go out. You can get inexpensive optical cables at monoprice.com.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have the same receiver, and I am taking HDMI from my cable box to my receiver's HDMI-in, and using HDMI-out from the receiver to my TV's HDMI-in, and I am able to get sound from my TV speakers if I turn on the 720's AMP+TV.

I was trying this method in order to have the choice of cable sound from my either my receiver or from my TV (the solution involves muting one or the other). This way I could use the receiver to do the switching of either blu-ray or cable.

For unknown reasons, the sound quality from the TV is then bad (very echo-y), but I do get it (of course I am muting the receiver's output to the speakers). So I have taken down this wiring solution and am working on my next iteration.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Diddo XBR11. Setting on 720. the 720 will pass audio to Tv after setting change. Also you can adjust audio delay issues in the settings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have a cable box in my room, because it is in the bedroom. Am I still able to use the HDMI Out to the TV to get sound to come from my speakers? I try to set it as TV+AMP, but nothing happened. If you can give me sort of a step-by-step guide, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for the help, everyone!

·
Registered
9,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuto /forum/post/15568001

I don't have a cable box in my room, because it is in the bedroom.

How are you getting TV reception? A direct cable feed without a set top box? An off air antenna? If you are using an antenna, is it analog or digital?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
So if I understand you correctly, it sounds like you have ONE hdmi cable going from PS3 to the TV....or do you have one from the PS3 to the receiver and then another one going from the receiver to the TV? Did you lose the manual for the receiver?

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuto /forum/post/15568001

I don't have a cable box in my room, because it is in the bedroom. Am I still able to use the HDMI Out to the TV to get sound to come from my speakers?

No, not if the TV (broadcast or cable) is the source. Your HDMI is only going to be audio/video for your PS3, from what you've described. Your TV should have some kind of audio output, either optical, coaxial, or just L/R stereo RCA. You need to hook one of those to the receiver then set the receiver to that input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is pretty bad. I bought the digital optical cable, but stupid me, I can not find any sort of input on the HDTV I own. Is there any way to fix this? Is it really possible not to have both video and audio over HDMI to my receiver so I can watch TV with my home theater set, or do I now need to spend even more money for a converter? :-(

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
Is it really possible not to have both video and audio over HDMI to my receiver so I can watch TV with my home theater set,

If your TV has an HDMI output....which I've never seen on a TV, the you could do what you want to do. However, as mentioned in this thread, you have to connect the audio output of your TV's tuner to your amp in order to be able to hear the TV sound through your amp.

If there are no audio outputs on your TV (no optical, coax or analog) the you're out of luck. If there is an audio output, then you need to connect it to your amp.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuto /forum/post/15634776

This is pretty bad. I bought the digital optical cable, but stupid me, I can not find any sort of input on the HDTV I own. Is there any way to fix this? Is it really possible not to have both video and audio over HDMI to my receiver so I can watch TV with my home theater set, or do I now need to spend even more money for a converter? :-(

Are you ever going to answer the questions about how you get TV reception? No one can give you the help you are requesting without that information.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sorry. I have a coax cable running from the wall. There is no set-top box or anything in the room itself -- that would be in the living room. That is how I am getting TV reception.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuto /forum/post/15639006

I am sorry. I have a coax cable running from the wall. There is no set-top box or anything in the room itself -- that would be in the living room. That is how I am getting TV reception.

You will need to run an optical cable from the digital output of your TV to an optical input on your receiver. You said your TV doesn't have an optical input, which is likely the case. But, that's fine, because you aren't feeding audio into the TV. You are feeding it out. Most (all?) HD sets have optical OUTPUTs, which is what you will be using.

The TV will feed out whatever audio it is receiving on the channel you are watching. If the channel has DD 5.1, that's what you'll get. If the channel only has stereo, you'll get that instead. Check your TV manual to see if there's a setting needed to activate digital audio output.

On your receiver, switch to the input you used for the optical cable from the TV. That's where you'll find the sound. You'll probably need to mute the TV as well.

The HDMI cable and the PS3 have nothing to do with any of this. The cable feed from the wall goes in to your TV's QAM tuner. The tuner produces video for the display and audio that gets sent to your TV speakers and to the optical output.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It looks like my HDTV doesn't have an optical output. I couldn't even find it mentioned in the manual. It just says to use red and white audio cables. Maybe I should go ahead and try to find a better TV since my friend wants to buy mine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts