AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing the low-end SONY STR-DH500 Receiver for Back Yard Theater use. The HDMI Connections do not do audio (only video).

My questions are very basic.

As long as I hook my blu-ray players (either Sony BDP-S360 or Panny BD60) optical cable to the receiver, everything should work, right? And, as long as the blu-ray player has on-board decoding of all HD audio formats, it should be able to decode these and send them to (through) receiver, right?

Additional info: My video device will be a pj via HDMI.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
If you using optical, you're not going to get TrueHD or DTS-MA from Blu Ray discs. It'll only be Dolby Digital and DTS which is still pretty good.

If you haven't purchased a receiver yet no point getting one that doesn't do what you want. Shell out the extra bucks and get the Pioneer vsx-519 or even better the Insignia HDMI receiver which has decoding of HD audio formats. It comes on sale for $179 at least once a month.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...0335&cp=1&lp=1

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait a sec. Can't I use the HDMI In on the receiver (from the blu-ray) and the HDMI Out to the PJ and be okay (unless I am still missing something).

I'm going to look at the other models you mentioned as well (I hope they are at least 100 W per channel, baby).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surely someone can answer this one.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
And, as long as the blu-ray player has on-board decoding of all HD audio formats, it should be able to decode these and send them to (through) receiver, right?

Only with a receiver that can accept audio over HDMI which you already know the Sony 500 cannot.

Quote:
Can't I use the HDMI In on the receiver (from the blu-ray) and the HDMI Out to the PJ and be okay (unless I am still missing something).

Yes but you'll need the optical and won't be able to do anything with HD audio like you wanted. I would suggest the Onkyo 507, Yamaha 465, Denon 590 or 1610 in addition to the models the previous poster mentioned.

Honestly, since you're using a projector and may be limited on inputs, you'll also want a receiver that can send both analog and HD video through the single HDMI to you're pj. These models include: Yamaha 565, Denon AVR590/1610, Sony STRDN1000, Onkyo 607.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has finally sunk in. The STR DH500's HDMI does not carry audio, period; so the HDMI from the blu-ray to the receiver is a useless connection. Hence the need for optical which will only be DTS or Dolby. I get it. I'll go with a different receiver, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts