AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, new here and im in need of some assistance if possible.

so the other day i bought me a Sony STR-DH520 and im liking the way its sounds and all but im having an issue ( i think? ). im new to the whole av receivers stuff but here goes. so far i have only tested it out on my pc since im a gamer and i notice that when i play music, games, or any other type of audio source on the pc it says on the display "LPCM 48".

i've done some searching on the net and few leads took me to this site (main reason why i joined lol) and apparently it means its not putting out 5.1 audio or "real" surround.. thats what ive gotten from what ive read so far.

any ideas on what might be the issue? heres my setup...

I got it hokked up from HDMI port on my GTX 570 to the Sony STR-DH520 HDMI in and from there ( along with my other equipment) HDMI out to tv.

im using the audio from the HDMI, i do have an optical cable at hand if maybe that will fix it? HDMI control is set to OFF and audio out is on AMP. ive checked the sound settings on my control panel and it detects the receiver and shows its compatible audio formats and everything but still have that LPCM 48 on display.

any ideas? like i said im pretty noob on this kind of stuff so ask away if u need any more info on anything of mine xD.

## EDIT ##

so i threw on a DVD that has dolby digital and that worked perfect, so then i guess its just that whatever im playing isnt encoded with real surround sound then? but battlefield 3 has home theatre settings and its still has that LPCM on display...not gonna lie it still sounds awesome jsut that it erks me everytime i see it i feel as if im being cheated T__T.

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Audio over HDMI is controlled by the source device -- your computer. It'd be better to ask in the HTPC forum where people can suggest appropriate player software packages.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You just have to change the audio settings on your device, pc, ps3, xbox 360 or whatever. After you change it you would see Dolby 5.1 on the display.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts