AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my Sony STR-DN1000 receiver that has been driving me nuts for months. Basically, when the receiver gets LPCM output from my PS3 over HDMI, the bass is incredibly boomy and overdriven. If, however, I force Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS-HD output over HDMI from the same game or movie, leaving all other settings exactly the same, the bass sounds balanced and normal, the exact same as the Dolby Digital 5.1 coming from my Xbox 360, for example. I tested this with the same content on both consoles.

The PS3 doesn't have any settings to adjust bass for LPCM. I don't understand why there would be such a huge difference in audio between LPCM 5.1 where the PS3 is doing the decoding, and Dolby Digital 5.1 where the receiver is doing the decoding?? I know in that in my test case game demo, the source material is straight DD 5.1 in both cases. The difference is just wether the PS3 or the receiver is decoding it. When the PS3 does it (LPCM shows up), I get absurd monster bass. When the receiver does it (DD 5.1 shows up), bass is normal. The solution is not as simple as unchecking LPCM output options on the PS3, because a lot of content seems to be LPCM only, with no corresponding DD or DTS available.

Am I cursed with adjusting my subwoofer settings or my sound output settings in the PS3 menu on a constant basis!?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There is some madness related to LFE, which could be tested with a proper test source.

Peak LFE level should be 10 dB higher than peak level on all other channels (this is ignoring bass management, in other words, no bass crossed over from other channels.)

I find it hard to believe this is your problem, but I mention it, because some receivers have not handled this boost correctly.

If it was me, I would get a disc which can test the LFE channel vs other channels with test tones, and an SPL meter, and try to verify what's going on.

·
Registered
279 Posts
make sure your PS3 settings are set to 1 or below. Sounds like you have set to high on volume.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
There is a digital level control for the PS3, which should be set to the default, or digital clipping could occur. What other settings could be involved with his issue though?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To further clarify, I have a JBL Venue Sub 12 in LFE mode and some small Yamaha sattelites.. I've tried adjusting the crossover frequencies and phase, but these do not affect the issue.

Also, it is not just the bass that is affected. The surround loudness, seperation, whatever you want to call it, is also affected. I have a scene in my source where there is pouring rain. In DD 5.1, the rain is loud and crisp from my rear speakers. In LPCM, it is more muffled and less distinct. All I can surmise is that the PS3's decoded interpretation of the DD 5.1 track varies significantly from my receiver's decoded interpretation. Why this should be is beyond me.

And I'd calibrate everything for LPCM, BUT, the Xbox 360 does not support LPCM output, hence I need to calibrate for DD 5.1, DTS HD, all the bitstream formats.

A nice solution would be to calibrate my Subwoofer levels different for each input, that is, turn down the bass for PS3 and do LPCM for everything, and up the bass for 360 and use DD 5.1 bitstream for everything. But, incredibly, my Sony STR-DN1000 does not allow this!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you guys putting my thinking on the right track, I fixed it!

There was a hidden setting on my receiver under HDMI for Subwoofer Level affecting LPCM source ONLY. Why this exists, I have no idea. It had been set to AUTO. It turns out that Auto is the same as setting it to +10db! I set it to 0db, and the overwhelming bass is gone!

I STILL have an issue where the DD 5.1 has louder surround channels and slightly less bass than LPCM with the same source. This still baffles me, but it may have to do with decoding quality of my PS3 vs the receiver? Shouldn't it sound identical? At least LPCM is now usable without the huge problem bass problem I had before. I had been in the wrong setting for months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a str-dh520. This seems to be a MAJOR issue with this line of Sony. I have a ps3 xbox 360 and blu-ray hooked hdmi to unit. When I have all connections made and get everything checked it works like a dream...sees dts, dd 5.1 etc. Then I set the unit to HD-D.C.s & thats when my issue happens. I turn everything off and upon turning everything back on...it only reads LPCM 48kz from every HDMI input. Been having it out with Sony; they're trying to say its a defective unit but it looks as though they did not fully test this unit in the slightest and it just won't do what it should. WE NEED TO UNITE AGAINST SONY TO FIX THIS ISSUE. These are brand new "quality" receivers and this should be a base feature.

Yours is only outputting LPCM 48kz!!! STEREO.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.