AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a 1st time shopper for a reciever with limited funds. I'm stuck either buying the Sony str-dn1000 or the Onkyo HT-RC160. Can anyone pass any good advice or a better alternative thats mid $300 range?

I'm looking for a 7.1 set-up with video up conversion.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am looking at these 2 receivers as well, along with the Harmon Kardon AVR-254. I have been getting caught up in the 1080P upconversion dilemma as well. Now, I am not sure it is much of an issue. Are we really better off letting the receiver upconvert a 1080i signal, such as from an HD cable box, to 1080P, rather than letting the TV do it? Is the receivers convertor superior? BluRay is 1080P already so most people really have almost no upconverting to do. I know the only other thing I have is a Wii and I don't think that is going to look good no matter what. HDMI carrying audio is more important in my opinion and all 3 of these receivers do that. We need to focus more on which receiver sounds better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had the Sony str-dn1000 since December and I'm not sure it up-converts to 1080p. I guess I don't understand what signals will up-convert. I have a Directv HD DVR and the SD stations do not up-convert. In fact the HD channels are 1080i.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the rc160. I absolutly love it! It's pretty much the same as an Onkyo 607, but with 10 watts per channel less and no front hdmi port. All I can say, is that it does everything I want it to well. Yeah, it runs a little warm but not as bad as some make it out to be. For $328, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchase SONY STR-DN1000 to replace my Onkyo TX-SR504. From experience Onkyo runs very warm, don't have any complains about SONY STR-DN1000 running warm. The new reciever sounds much brighter and makes my VELODYNE DPS 10" SUB hit much more accurate and tighter than my old ONKYO. I would strongly recommend SONY STR-DN1000 great receiver. Audio in DOLBY DIGITAL HD and DTS MASTER AUDIO HD sound amazing coming from the DN1000. I read on CNET report ( http://shopper.cnet.com/av-receivers...-33539697.html ) that SONY STR-DN1000 has greater dynamic life than DENON AVR 1910 resulting in more vivid audio. I have read some forums were people complain about not being able to upconvert to 1080p the receiver does just fine upconverting to 1080i and beautiful pass through 1080p/24p. If you dont have any analog componets you dont have to worry about upconverting and like I mention this receiver repeats any signal that is being fed via hdmi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.