AVS Forum banner

Sony STR-DN1010 or Yamaha RX-V1065 for similar $

  • Sony STR-DN1010

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yamaha RX-V1065

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 receivers arriving tomorrow, the Sony STR-DN1010 and the Yamaha RX-V1065. The Sony was $316 and after ordering it, the the Yammy went on lightening deal for $279 so I quickly ordered it too because I am not sure which is better.


I am wondering if anyone would like to offer some advice on making the decision on which one to keep. Prices were close, so leave that factor out.


I know the Sony has HDMI 1.4 and is 3D compatible and Yammy isn't. I don't have a 3D TV and probably won't for a long time. Yammy has 7.2 vs. 7.1 on Sony but I only have one sub. The Sony will match my Sony 400 disc DVD changer and my Sony 400 disc blu-ray player in appearance better, but that's not a big deal.


While I can compare the external physical differences (inputs, outputs, etc.), I am wondering if there are differences in how well they function (which will sound better, etc.). I will hook both up to hear for myself, but having just one setting tweaked will skew the test and I don't have long to decide. Also, I won't have time to test all the different scenarios. I will primarily use the receiver for watching DVD's, BD's, and HDTV. We also have a Wii and PS3. All of my connections will be via HDMI with the exception of the Wii. My speakers aren't high end, but I may slowly upgrade them over time.


It's hard to compare reviews online because they are in two different price categories of MSRP, so they are compared to different groups of receivers.


Any suggestions on things to look or listen for? Maybe a good comparison test to try? I am upgrading from a Sony STR-DE995, so they should both sound better than what I am used to.


Thanks in advance for any input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts
Leave the Sony in its box and send it back. Keep the 1065. Thats easy. The 1065 will come closer to its specs than the Sony. Sony's Es series have been testing badly on some sites, so there's no telling what their lower tier models will actually do. That 1065 also has discrete amps and I doubt very seriously that the Sony does. Below is a comparison chart with the Sony going against some other AVR's. Notice it is going against a lower although newer model Yamaha. Give this a look and decide for yourself. Good luck and enjoy.

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-gu...mparison-guide
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
FWIW, I picked up the sony for my parents and they seem to like it. I'm not going to sugar coat it though, the sony is lightweight and thin on sound. I definitely wouldn't buy it for myself or recommend it to anyone who even has a remote interest in sound quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! That was quick! Thanks for the insight, phantom.


My only real concern with not going with the Sony was that the 3D compatibility made it sound more future-proof. That, combined with the fact that the Sony model is quite a bit newer than the Yammy. Didn't notice any important processing stuff missing on the Yammy, so maybe that isn't important. I want this baby to last a long time and while I don't plan on getting a 3D tv any time soon, you never know if the current one ever fails.


Sounds like the Yamaha is much higher quality.


Thanks again for your advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- /forum/post/19515101


FWIW, I picked up the sony for my parents and they seem to like it. I'm not going to sugar coat it though, the sony is lightweight and thin on sound. I definitely wouldn't buy it for myself or recommend it to anyone who even has a remote interest in sound quality.

Do you think the quality is so different that I will actually be able to hear it? I first thought I had a good deal with the Sony. Now I am even more excited about the Yammy deal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoptone /forum/post/19515137


Wow! That was quick! Thanks for the insight, phantom.


My only real concern with not going with the Sony was that the 3D compatibility made it sound more future-proof. That, combined with the fact that the Sony model is quite a bit newer than the Yammy. Didn't notice any important processing stuff missing on the Yammy, so maybe that isn't important. I want this baby to last a long time and while I don't plan on getting a 3D tv any time soon, you never know if the current one ever fails.


Sounds like the Yamaha is much higher quality.


Thanks again for your advice!

Your'e very welcome. You can get the newer Yamaha 667 for more of course if you are a little worried about so-called future proofing. Go look at Newegg for their prices for what they have on sale now. If you have no plans though for the immediate future on that 3D display I would not worry about the 1065's capabilities. It will do 3D with the right player and display anyway. Just have to be choosy on what you buy in the future for sources. Anyway by the time you decide to upgrade to 3D you will probably want another AVR by then. And you won't be out of pocket with a whole lot of money with that 1065. It could always go into another room. Good luck and enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoptone /forum/post/19515159


Do you think the quality is so different that I will actually be able to hear it? I first thought I had a good deal with the Sony. Now I am even more excited about the Yammy deal!

I would think it comes down to room size and how loud you would have to have the receiver dial. If you are in a small area and don't need the volume up very high(like my parents situation) then you would probably not hear much difference. In my opinion it's when you start creeping the volume level up, that's when you'll "hear" the difference in quality.


Like I said, my parents are happy and the sony has never given them problems. I find it thin and flat and wouldn't buy it. Different strokes for diff folks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys.


I have decided to go with the Yamaha (Based on what I heard hear and a few other sources, I took Phantom's advice and left the Sony in the box! I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting it up when I like the Yamaha so much any way.) Even though I have low quality speakers, I am amazed at how great it sounds now! Ran the auto config with mic and it sounded good. Made a few more tweaks (like setting fronts to small) and now it sounds great! I can't imagine having good speakers.


Now I just have to figure out what sound mode to have it in while watching BD's, DVD's, HDTV, PS3, Wii, etc. So many to choose from it's really confusing. It seems like "pure direct" is the one to use to get the full potential from a BD, but I am not sure. I have speakers set up in a 7.1 configuration, but it seems like a lot of the modes don't use the surround backs.


Oh yeah. Tonight I need to reprogram the Harmony One! That should simplify things.


Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts
On the Movies let the Movie decide. True HD,DTS Master DTE, or DD. Music is now left to what you like best. Pure Direct is not going to be using any processing at all. YPAO is off. Pure Direct won't be your best option for movies IMHO. Let the player or AVR decide that for you. You do want to do this in order to have that 7.1 sound you are looking for. Glad you like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19527374


On the Movies let the Movie decide. True HD,DTS Master DTE, or DD. Music is now left to what you like best. Pure Direct is not going to be using any processing at all. YPAO is off. Pure Direct won't be your best option for movies IMHO. Let the player or AVR decide that for you. You do want to do this in order to have that 7.1 sound you are looking for. Glad you like it.

Thanks. I am kind of glad to not use pure anyway. While the blue light on the front of the unit is pretty cool when using pure, I didn't like having nothing on the display. It's probably less distracting to have the display blacked out, but I like being able to see what's going on.


Now I just have to find the time to tweak and watch some movies!


Thanks again!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top