AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Little perplexed here with my near new Sony (3 months old). So far all I have used this thing for is to watch video from my laptop via a 12' long HDMI cable (daily) and occasionally a movie/game from my PS3 or music via iPhone/bluetooth. Yesterday I lost sound when trying to watch TV from the laptop. Here is what I have tried:

Laptop direct to TV via HDMI = sound and video works
Laptop into different HDMI port on receiver = video but still no sound
PS3 = video but no sound
Music via bluetooth = sound works fine
Changed sound fields = still no sound

So it would seem that the amplifier and speakers are fine but for some reason audio still wont play. The stereo is set up for auto update notifications for firmware and I tried doing a manual one just now but it came back as no updates available.

The only thing I MAY have done between the time the stereo last worked and when it did not was change the "Advanced Auto Volume" from "On" to "Off". I was noticing about a .5 second delay whenever playing something over a bluetooth connection and wondered if the auto volume might have caused this. I have tried returning this to on position but still no sound.

I called the store where I purchased it from and the tech said 'do a factory reset...one of the drivers may not be working'. Yeah whatever. How do I do a factory reset?

Anyway, thoughts before I have to pack this beast up?
Randy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. Little perplexed here with my near new Sony (3 months old). So far all I have used this thing for is to watch video from my laptop via a 12' long HDMI cable (daily) and occasionally a movie/game from my PS3 or music via iPhone/bluetooth. Yesterday I lost sound when trying to watch TV from the laptop. Here is what I have tried:

Laptop direct to TV via HDMI = sound and video works
Laptop into different HDMI port on receiver = video but still no sound
PS3 = video but no sound
Music via bluetooth = sound works fine
Changed sound fields = still no sound

So it would seem that the amplifier and speakers are fine but for some reason audio still wont play. The stereo is set up for auto update notifications for firmware and I tried doing a manual one just now but it came back as no updates available.

The only thing I MAY have done between the time the stereo last worked and when it did not was change the "Advanced Auto Volume" from "On" to "Off". I was noticing about a .5 second delay whenever playing something over a bluetooth connection and wondered if the auto volume might have caused this. I have tried returning this to on position but still no sound.

I called the store where I purchased it from and the tech said 'do a factory reset...one of the drivers may not be working'. Yeah whatever. How do I do a factory reset?

Anyway, thoughts before I have to pack this beast up?
Randy
This just happened to me. Bought the thing about 6 months ago, and just today the HDMI audio just stopped working.

I've worked around it by re-wiring my system so every device plugs into my TV and I use SPDIF to run audio to the receiver, and it sounds great, but now I can't make any adjustments to the receiver because I can't see the GUI.

Did you have any luck with yours?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This just happened to me. Bought the thing about 6 months ago, and just today the HDMI audio just stopped working.

I've worked around it by re-wiring my system so every device plugs into my TV and I use SPDIF to run audio to the receiver, and it sounds great, but now I can't make any adjustments to the receiver because I can't see the GUI.

Did you have any luck with yours?
Interesting.
Well, try the resets as suggested here. I have enough power outages here that a soft reset happens all the time.
I contacted Sony and cannot recall if they suggested a hard reset; I think probably not because today was the first time I've heard of it.

I packed the unit up and shipped it off. Have to say, I was extremely impressed with Sony. The tech over the phone was super professional. The turnaround time was lightening fast. And - they returned the unit to me with an older model (albeit more sophisticated remote). I wanted the newer simpler one and they had that in the mail in less than 48hrs, and told me to keep the old one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts