AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending several hours with the Sony STRDA5200ES, and reading some feedback from a couple other people here, I've come to some conclusions:

1. If you run HDMI out to a display device (in my case a projector) and are forced to use an HDMI / DVI adapter, be prepared for trouble. The video comes through (I have DirecTV, Blue-ray & HD-DVD) but the sound is disabled. I've had a couple of other users confirm it.

2. If I run an optical cable from the attached devices (on the Sony they're labeled VIDEO-1, VIDEO-2, & SAT) there is no way I can find to watch HDMI video through the unit and somehow select the sound coming through the optical input at the same time.

I guess I'm going to have to re-install my Gefen DVI switcher for the video, and use the STRDA5200ES for digital audio using the Video1,2, & SAT inputs. I'm on the JVC-RS1 pre-order list (which has an HDMI input) so hopefully I'll be able to fully utilize the Sony unit.

This is the third time I've been bitten by HDMI issues. First, My old Infocus 7200 wouldn't work with the HD-XA1 DVD player (projector since replaced. 7210 is no problem but *still* needed an HDMI/DVI adapter.

My second experience was I tried to use an HDMI/DVI cable to connect an HD-A2 DVD player to a Sharp LCD TV via its DVI connector (HDMI occupied by another device). It wouldn't work properly or was down-rezed.

Sony STRDA5200ES via HDMI into an Infocus 7210 via HDMI/DVI cable = no sound through the attached speakers.

Ain't the future wonderful? We Early Adopters pay the price, let me tell ya. . .

TA

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jfinneru-

I tried it both ways. I'm just going direct to my projector with the HDMI, and am using the amp's optical audio on Video 1,2, and Sat. When I get a new projector in a couple months with HDMI in, my issue with the STRDA5200ES should go away.

TA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.