AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that there is only 7 1/4 inches of clearance for the SU-GW1's lower shelf, and that is not sufficient for many better center channels. i also noticed but didn't measure the clearance for the very slender top shelf.

i thought that it must be only like 3 inches or so, so little that it might be of minimal value, don't even know what components i can put there and still have a little bit of air flow for cooling. anyone with experiece with this SU-GW1 stand? also does anyone know what a good price is? the list is at $599. is $499 good? or are there better prices out there?

my direct email is: [email protected]

many thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the 60" GWII sitting on this stand. The bottom shelf has 8 1/8 in. clearance. I'm running an Infinity center channel speaker that I was lucky enough to be able to fit on the bottom shelf.

I'm running a Sony HD-200 DirecTV Receiver on the top shelf. You're right that the top shelf has to hold skinny components. It would hold most DVD players.

Remember with the width of this stand that you could also fit components side by side.

Most of my audio equipment sits in another cabinet so it's not a big issue for me.

Center channel postioning has been an issue for some folks.

Be careful with other stands though. This stand sits fairly low for optimal viewing of the picture. Any replacement stands, you need to consider that caveat.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Irc, I have an Infinity center channel speaker too and am considering getting the Sony stand and wanted to make sure it would fit. Mine is the Inifinity Kappa Center Channel and it measures exactly 8" high. You telling me it will fit?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bagman,

My Infinities are "Compositions" model, 3-way Center Channel, Model P-CC.

Not the same as yours. My suggestion would be to take your center speaker into a store that is displaying the stand and try the fit.

I was lucky, since I bought my GW and the stand on the spot when I found it in inventory at CC. Center speaker fit didn't even enter my mind. It just so happens that it fit.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lrc: you mentioned that the bottom section has 8 1/8" clearance on the SU-GW1 stand. i had a chance to see one today in nyc and measured it. there are metal bars underneath the glass shelf that are used to support the glass shelf, and, from what i can see, the clearance cannot be measured to the glass shelf itself, instead, we need to deduct the height of the metal supporting the shelf as well.

you cannot put a center channel speaker on the lower shelf (or any other components) that will go all the way up to the glass shelf because the metal supports will block the component/speaker.

am i correct in my understanding?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oops, forgot to say that by my measurements, i still see only a "real" clearance (to the bottom of the metal bars supporting the glass shelf) of 7 1/4". Somehow, there was no way i could see a full 8" at all!

·
Registered
349 Posts
remember, when putting a center channel down that low, make sure to angle it upward, so the sound is not going directly into a coffee table or something. if your center has adjustable feet or spikes, then these will be good for the upward angle. this will also use up more of the room that you need. if you can, take out the shelf and just use the center in the stand. enjoy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
eieio,

You are correct. I forgot about the metal bars (should have remembered from the assembly of the stand). You almost have to lay on the floor to see the bars.

Still, I was lucky on my fit, obviously a 3 speaker center channel that fits your 71/4" measurement.

By the way, one more advantage of this stand that I didn't know about until I assembled it. The top of the stand has two "nodules" that stick up to lock the set into position when it's set onto the stand. Keeps it from sliding if a child or someone were to push on it. In addition, there's a safety strap on the back of the stand that snaps into the back of the GWII to prevent it from tilting forward should a child or someone decide to push on the set.

I still like this stand for it's match to the GWII but it is a slight disadvantage as to where to put that center channel speaker if it has any size to it.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Yea, I have the SU- stand for my 50" XBR800 (Sony has it as "one size fits all...50" or 60"...the 60" would just hang over on the ends, and bee too tall to the center of the screen). The stand IS the perfect height for their 50". The two-shelf system is VERY poorly thought out, quite frankly. The lower area "sorta-kinda" accommodates my Infinity center channel...but that is with the upper glass shelf left OFF so that there is enough head space to for the CC. The metal brace is about 1/2" too low for a normal CC to fit well, but Sony HAS figured out how tall the average person is and their eye height on the average sofa. I guess it was just too much to ask that they would be able to determine the average height of a CC.:rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lcr: may i ask if the metal bars holding the top glass shelf is structurally important? or are the metal bars there solely to hold up the glass shelf?

my center channel speaker measures: 12" H x 10.5" D x 25" W!!

if i were to put it on the lower shelf, i would have to remove the top glass shelf and, of course, the metal rods there to hold the upper glass shelf. wonder if that compromises the structural integrity of the tv stand.

also, if i were to put the center channel in the center, it would mean i ONLY have 11 1/2" on each side of the speaker!!! that is NOT sufficient to put virtually ANY of my components to the left or the right. thereby rendering the stand's storage space virtually useless for anything except a very large center channel! that is not a good solution only!

anyone have thoughts about putting the center channel slightly off center? is that horrible? that way, i have 23" and can stack one main stack of components there. BUT, that means my center speaker is off center by probably 1 to 2 feet. is that really poor?

i also have not found any center speaker stands that are very low, AND angle up slightly. does anyone know of a simple, unobtrusive one?

thanks.

my direct email is: [email protected]

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ok, I really quite like the Sony stand (especially given the safety features and that I have kids), but a center-channel fit is a must. As I mentioned before, my center channel is 8" tall (exactly) and is sort of triangle-shaped when you look at it from the side. I am thinking I can likely slide it underneith the metal bar then prop it back up. If that does work, my question is, can I simply put the speaker into the spot while assembling the stand and avoid the lower clearence problem created by the metal bar?

·
Registered
92 Posts
BagMan,

The assembly instructions have you put the metal bars in between the side pedestals first, then comes the top, then you slide the glass shelves in as a last step.

So, you could put your center speaker in before putting the top on, then not put the top glass shelf in.

Sounds like it would work. Like I told Eieio in a PM, you can always take it back if you buy from a B&M, usually with 30 days to return.

Now, with a little engineering, you could probably have the top shelf glass cut to size to go on either side of the center speaker on the top shelf. The bars would still be there for support. The glass secures from the pedestals with a back bracket padded screw slotting.

Given enough space, you might be able to set a couple of components on the top shelf.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
despite what you said about putting the center speaker in before the glass, if the center speaker is a deep speaker, the two bars will still not allow the speaker to be put there, right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone measured the available space of the top shelf? Trying to figure out if I can fit a DVD player or DISH receiver in that space.

Thanks...David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.