AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to how the good folks here feel about the picture quality of the Sony SXRD 60XBR1 versus the new, current crop of LCD tv's like the Sony 60EX500?

I choose the 60EX500 because it is sort of the middle of the pricing pack of Sony - neither the highest nor the lowest, yet, it is clearly a much more current technology than that of the 60XBR1.

Would be very interested in your opinions.

Thx!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the SXRD for over five years. It's broken twice, once for a full insides replacement and recently for a new projection bulb. This TV breaks a lot as can be seen by class action suite that was won against sony because of all the problems....That's the negative.

The positive: After spending extensive amounts of time looking at the new replacements available up to date, new Samsung 6300 series 55in LCD among others, and my wife and I agree, the picture you get from the SXRD is so far superior, we plan on stocking up on the projection bulbs and maybe even finding a projector block so we can fix it immediately when it breaks. This tv is like a beautiful woman and an exotic sports car. It is awesome to look at and will provide the absolute best performance, but it is HIGH maintenance!

Worth it? That's a personal decision.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjames /forum/post/18429991

I've had the SXRD for over five years. It's broken twice, once for a full insides replacement and recently for a new projection bulb. This TV breaks a lot as can be seen by class action suite that was won against sony because of all the problems....That's the negative.

The positive: After spending extensive amounts of time looking at the new replacements available up to date, new Samsung 6300 series 55in LCD among others, and my wife and I agree, the picture you get from the SXRD is so far superior, we plan on stocking up on the projection bulbs and maybe even finding a projector block so we can fix it immediately when it breaks. This tv is like a beautiful woman and an exotic sports car. It is awesome to look at and will provide the absolute best performance, but it is HIGH maintenance!

Worth it? That's a personal decision.

My neighbor needed a replacement for his 50 CRT rear projection. It was sitting in a cavity on a fireplace hearth so a RPJ unit was the best option. He was looking at DLP units but I suggested the SXRD. He totally loves the television.

These televisions have the best picture quality to date. Not only do they have awesome black levels, they reproduce non HD material quite well. Other than the fact that they are quite bulky, you would have a very enjoyable experience watching one. They were way ahead of their time but the need for flat displays that could be hung on a wall pretty much killed them.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran /forum/post/18434189

My neighbor needed a replacement for his 50 CRT rear projection. It was sitting in a cavity on a fireplace hearth so a RPJ unit was the best option. He was looking at DLP units but I suggested the SXRD. He totally loves the television.

These televisions have the best picture quality to date. Not only do they have awesome black levels, they reproduce non HD material quite well. Other than the fact that they are quite bulky, you would have a very enjoyable experience watching one. They were way ahead of their time but the need for flat displays that could be hung on a wall pretty much killed them.

My SXRD was not even close to as good as most newer plasmas and LCD's. Color uniformity was bad out of the box, blacks were not inky and glowed with a blue cast, plus you had silk sceen effect and bad off side viewing angles. You could not give me another one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts