AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a Sony SXRD and am considering returning it for the Pioneer 5070 because the SD picture seems too soft (fuzzy) at times. I use Direct TV as my source. I'm not sure the Pioneer will be better as I recognize that the source of SD can be the real problem. DVDs at 480P look great. In any event, with the Sony SXRD (50A2000) will ISF calibration improve the SD picture quality noticeably? Also, it seems the adjustments for SD and HD pic quality would likely be different. If you use the same source device for both (DTV receiver), how do you handle this issue?

Thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

It will make it a bit better ... more accurate colors. It won't magically add detail to images that do not have any detail. Only the infusion of 1 trillion dollars (or more) can fix this issue. New satellites ... new broadcast equipment ... take your pick ...

Regards

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses; that was helpful. How do you handle calibration for SD and HD when using the same STB for both on the same video input of the set?

Also, if you eventually change the STB for satellite and/or change the DVD player after the TV has been calibrated, do you need to have it re-calibrated?

·
Registered
58 Posts
You have a few choices when dealing with scaling of broadcast sources. Remember that you will always end up with the TVs native resolution. You can let the box output the TVs native resolution (or 1080i for a 1080p TV). Or let the box pass the signal through un-scaled and let the TV do the processing. It depends on your particular combination of equipment which one will be better. You also can use component or HDMI connections. Again, it depends on your equipment which one is better. Calibration is then handled accordingly: if the cable box passes the signal un-processed then you have to calibrate for each scan rate. If you output only one resolution from the cable box, then you calibrate for that one scan rate.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Since calibration for satellite and cable is usually done with an hd signal generator anyway ... swapping boxes won't change things.

Swapping DVD players is another matter. SD sections of TVs (and Hd sometimes) are optimized for the DVD player in the system. change out this component in the system and stuff changes. Maybe a little ... maybe a lot.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.