AVS Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Thank you! Sorry for my delay. I ended up going with an old retiree who does electronics repairs (mainly TV) out of his garage, via Craig's List. He charged me $75. Not bad since then I did not have to acquire the tools, etc., plus the unit was free with stand. I have since acquired a 34960 for $20 and found another 34960 with stand for cheap (so I may have four of these soon). I will probably keep two and sell the other two to keep them out of the landfill. I also have two Sony SAT-HD200, one brand new, and the other won't power on (another project!).

Great TVs, and great tuners.
keep me posted on your progress and project(s) :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Update summary: My replacement chips lasted from March of 2015 until August of 2017 (so about 2.5 years) and new ones from Aliexpress seem to work.

I started to get the six or seven blinks and had to try to turn the TV on a couple times before it would stay on. When that stopped working I did the "secret menu" trick to get it to stay on (from off state press display, then 5, then vol -, then pwr). I left it on for a few weeks while the replacement MCZ3001DB chips came from China. I ordered six chips for less than $10 total shipped via aliexpress instead of ebay this time. It takes about a month to arrive from China using the epacket shipping, but they are cheaper and the same thing you get from US sellers without their markup. If you need them quickly, order from a US seller on Amazon or ebay.

Here's a direct link to my AliExpress purchase: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MCZ3001D-MCZ3001DA-MCZ3001DB/32820408988.html

They were the cheapest but the seller seems to have taken over two weeks to actually ship the item (eight days to mark it shipped and then over one additional week to actually get it to the shipper), which then took 10 more days to arrive (10 days is about right for an epacket).

The day my chips arrived, the TV had been on a couple weeks and was starting to have a red tint on dark scenes. It was kind of odd. Bright scenes would display normally, but dark scenes (like a space star field with one ship) would slightly shrink the screen and add a red tint. Knowing I was about to replace the chips, I tried turning the TV off to see if the red tint would go away. The TV would not turn back on even when I tried unplugging it or using the secret menu.

I had previously soldered sockets, so this time I only had to rotate the heavy TV, unscrew 18 screws, slide the back cover off, pop out the old replacement chips, and install the new replacement ships. Then I tested it and put it all back together. Still a bit of work but less than last time (socket idea was brilliant). The red tint issue is gone and the TV works normally again. We'll see how long these last or if I finally spring for a new OLED TV before these replacements fail.
Six months later, those chips (or at least one) failed, and the TV would not turn on. Unplugging didn't work, nor did the secret menu trick. Installed some more of the AliExpress chips (I ordered three sets when I did this last year) and now it's working again. My improved technique this time was putting this heavy beast on cardboard (instead of an old towel) so I could rotate it without scratching the stand. Cardboard worked better because it didn't bunch up and get stuck when putting the cover back on like the towel did. At a relaxed and detail-oriented pace, it still takes over two hours of fiddling with 18 screws and the two chips to do this at an awkward angle on the stand near the wall (including time to cut the cardboard, disconnect/reconnect cables, move speakers and other crap, shift the tubby tele', etc.). I should probably buy a chip puller tool to more easily remove them from their sockets, but oh well.

So yeah, these new chips lasted six months. We'll see how long the second set from the same batch lasts (unless OLED fever finally catches me). I'm not sure if the chips are of a lower quality than the other ebay set that lasted over two years or if it was the goofy two-year-old visitor who pressed the power button a week before the failure signs started (I caught her doing it once, but she might have been pressing it repeatedly up until I saw her). It could also be that something else causes these chips to burn faster as the TV ages. Original factory-installed chips lasted 13 years. First replacement set from ebay lasted 2.5 years. Next replacement set (AliExpress) lasted 0.5 years (but again, that might have been due to a hostile toddler).

·
Registered
694 Posts
Six months later, those chips (or at least one) failed, and the TV would not turn on. Unplugging didn't work, nor did the secret menu trick. Installed some more of the AliExpress chips (I ordered three sets when I did this last year) and now it's working again. My improved technique this time was putting this heavy beast on cardboard (instead of an old towel) so I could rotate it without scratching the stand. Cardboard worked better because it didn't bunch up and get stuck when putting the cover back on like the towel did. At a relaxed and detail-oriented pace, it still takes over two hours of fiddling with 18 screws and the two chips to do this at an awkward angle on the stand near the wall (including time to cut the cardboard, disconnect/reconnect cables, move speakers and other crap, shift the tubby tele', etc.). I should probably buy a chip puller tool to more easily remove them from their sockets, but oh well.

So yeah, these new chips lasted six months. We'll see how long the second set from the same batch lasts (unless OLED fever finally catches me). I'm not sure if the chips are of a lower quality than the other ebay set that lasted over two years or if it was the goofy two-year-old visitor who pressed the power button a week before the failure signs started (I caught her doing it once, but she might have been pressing it repeatedly up until I saw her). It could also be that something else causes these chips to burn faster as the TV ages. Original factory-installed chips lasted 13 years. First replacement set from ebay lasted 2.5 years. Next replacement set (AliExpress) lasted 0.5 years (but again, that might have been due to a hostile toddler).
Update: Next set lasted until a couple weeks ago, so about nine months. Got a little IC inserter/extractor kit since last time that helped speed up the process. Still can't justify the price of a Sony A9F when I can keep repairing this :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is great information; thanks for the write-up. I have a widescreen HD Sony KV-34XBR800 that I need to perform this procedure on. At first it seemed to only have trouble turning on when the temperature was cold.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Update: Next set lasted until a couple weeks ago, so about nine months. Got a little IC inserter/extractor kit since last time that helped speed up the process. Still can't justify the price of a Sony A9F when I can keep repairing this :)
Next pair of chips lasted around 1.5 years (since that quoted post to this week). Not too shabby. TV was reluctant to turn on on the first try, so I left it on for several days until a power outage killed it for good. It wouldn't turn on at all no matter how I tried to power it, so I was forced to do another repair. I still had chips from my previous order. Since last time I now have a long magnetic hex driver to use with a cheap little power screwdriver that makes getting those 18 screws out and back in faster. The magnetic tip is key for the deeper screws around the edges of the TV. Something like the long one here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33060882671.html

101 - 106 of 106 Posts