AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a Sony stand alone broadcast quality NTSC tuner for their cable source? I am picking one up today. It is a Sony TU-1041U Tuner Unit. It costs about $350.00

Yes, I have D-VHS, three HD Sat receivers, Bravo DVD, etc. but I still watch some cable TV and do not feel my JVC VCR may provide the best picture quality.

Any experiences out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have tried NTSC video from a Holo3D card, MyHD card, Dscaler/BT878 card, Panasonic AG-1980 vcr, and JVC 3800 vcr. The best picture resulted from the Panasonic vcr feeding the Holo3D via s-video. It was more smooth and film-like, with very good blacks and no perceptable noise, but not as sharp as dvd. Still, it is the best I have seen in regular video.

Al

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Where do you get this Sony tuner?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I just wanted to add that I am using a Directivo that goes through an H3D card and this is the method that I have found provides the best picture. The picture quality of the network channels on Directv is significantly better than the quality of the same channels on Cox Cable. Cable is fine for 27" tv's and smaller, but when I blow it up on my 10 foot screen it is unwatcheable. I wish I could recieve OTA in my area but I can't so my only choices are Directv and Cable.

The cable picture is soft and fuzzy on all tuners I have tried that can decode it. Isn't there a Garbage in Garbage out issue here?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've used an earlier Sony tuner - the ST92 for years now, great picture - but useless now that I have had to switch to digital cable, sigh...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.