AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my Sony 27'' has got damaged by a sudden power surge. Does any one know what is the possible extent of damage. Is it still salvagable?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goos point. TV is not starting up. I just want to know if you all think that the extent of damage may be limited to the power supply and the rest of the circuitry may be intact.

The RV was in stand-by mode.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Sorry, don't know much about power surges. If it's under warranty, call Sony. They may not cover the set under warranty (I'm sure power surges are excepted), but perhaps you could play dumb and say the TV won't turn on. At least you will get a serviceperson who will then tell you if the set is worth repairing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have not seen a mfg. who will cover power surges, but if you have a service agreement on it, or if you surge protector still has a warranty (you do have a surge protector, right?)and you sent it in, you should be coved, Joe.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rohit.verma
Good point. TV is not starting up. I just want to know if you all think that the extent of damage may be limited to the power supply and the rest of the circuitry may be intact.

The RV was in stand-by mode.

Thanks
Most electronics do have some protection in the power supply. There maybe a fuse or fusible resister in line and that is a simple and (relatively) inexpensive fix. Maybe just a matter of pulling off the back and finding it and replacing it. But don't do it yourself unless you have some experience with such things.

If it is under warranty, take it in. At 27", I suspect it may not be. But many shops will give you an estimate for some nominal cost (e.g., $50).

Phil

p.s. What does "The RV was in stand-by mode" mean?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MSmith
I had to have a fuse replaced by service - it ran about $100. Maybe it's time for a new TV.
Good point. I can do many repairs myself (build my own ham radio transceivers and such).

But, depending on what the set is (e.g., HD or SD) and how old it is, a new replacement could easily be the best way to go if you must pay for the repair (and $100 for a new fuse is not a surprise, these days -- $99 for labor and $1 for the part :().

Phil

·
Registered
48 Posts
Power surges can blow fuses. They are easy to replace with the TV unplugged. If the fuse blows again imediately after powering it on then you have something shorted out mostly like in the power supply section. You will have to send it into a repair shop to get it fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.