I have the following equipment:

Sony TV HX853,

BluRay NF720,

PC and a

Mac air

iPhone

What is the best and cost effective way to do the following:

Stream music, videos & photos

Store music, video and photos centrally so can easily be accessed via tv, mac and iPhone

Storage accessible by mac and pc

Easy to use/ install software

Decent speeds accessing data

Connect via USB3.0 so super quick

I can probably hard wire most items if required (not mac/iPhone though)

Any help would be great!

I was looking at the seagate goflex home NAS but reviews saw user interface is very poor

Not sure whats the best way of doing this?

Any other ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I would suggest Synology NAS, and Apple TV since you are already using apple products. I am not sure what type of videos you want to stream SD or HD? Homemade videos? You will have to rip these to a format that is supported by your devices. If you use apple you will use M4V / MP4, and there are several software you can use for this such as Handbrake (free) or DVDFab (pay for licensing to use fully).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What model of synology do you recommend?

I was planning on being able to stream all, hd, home made, sd, mkv files

Given the bluray/tv can read these files do I need apple tv?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijx99  /t/1422064/sony-tv-hx853-bluray-nf720-pc-and-a-mac-air-how-to-stream-nas#post_22255031

What model of synology do you recommend?

I was planning on being able to stream all, hd, home made, sd, mkv files

Given the bluray/tv can read these files do I need apple tv?

Thanks

Smart TVs and Blu-Ray players have limited codec support. So, you might have to test them out first, and see if they support whatever format you end up using. As far as what Synology model, that will depend on how much storage space you need. An 8 bay Synology NAS model DS1812+ is $999.99. That's without the hard drives. It supports upto 4TB hard drive. So 8 x 4tb = 32TB of space.

I wanted to buy Synology for my set up due to their excellent support and applications, but it was just too expensive. I ended up building my own unRaid server instead, but if you've got the $$$ I definitely recommend Synology or QNap as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts