AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Odd. I'd have expected it to be the other way around, since having the legs further apart means you'd be able to fit a wider soundbar between them.
Either way it is pointless if the TV doesn't sit high enough to avoid being blocked by the soundbar.
The left-over Z9f is still the only premium surround soundbar system in the lineup, but its separately sold dedicated rear speakers become bricks by themselves. The previous model HT-NT5 at least had the ZR5 speakers which could be repurposed as bluetooth stereo speakers, plugged directly into the ARC port of the TV, or even connected to other devices. Yet another step back for Sony.

·
Registered
310 Posts
·         X-Motion Clarity for OLED: This revolutionary technology from Sony will now be available for OLED, refining action on the screen in real time with an incredible refresh rate that is brighter and clearer than ever before.
I'm a little surprised there's been no discussion on this point (maybe I was searching wrong in the thread). It very much looks like a rolling "backlight" effect according to the marketing materials. Maybe it was added in an earlier model and I've just not been paying any attention?

This is honestly the thing I've been waiting for since the A1E, and hope it holds up to the marketing spew. I'm getting tired of the interpolation artifacts to get motion that is close to what I was able to get on the old HX929.

(I just noticed that this was the LCD sub-forum, that probably explains the lack of discussion of the OLED changes)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi All, I see some discussion about Mini/Micro LED Display Technology. Is there any difference between Mini/Micro LEDs or are they the same thing and just referred by different terminology ? TIA ! :)

:rolleyes: Instead of being lazy I did a little research and came across this article which answers my question :
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/microled-vs-mini-led/

·
Registered
71 Posts
What genius thought it was a good idea to make the legs on the X950H wider than the screen? This was going to be my next TV, but not anymore. My TV table was plenty big for any 55in on the market before this thing showed up.
The legs can move in and closer to the center I thought.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know how this isn't the common thought though? I could see if they hadn't done mid year release before but they have, they have the PS5 coming and at the moment nothing that will run it. Do you really think they are going to not have something to offer? I mean with the PS3 they made it a full media player and pretty much the best blu ray player to make sure it was a major player. You think that now they are just going to release the game player but not something to view it on when thats the bread and butter for decades?
X900H with hdmi 2.1 will run it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does the 900H actually even have HDMI 2.1 tho? I'm only seeing 4K 120Hz listed there, which technically could be done without 2.1. Does the TV actually have the full suite of features, like VRR, etc.?
I was told by the sales guy at CES it does and Stop the FOMO and HDTV Test on YouTube also confirmed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Next GPUs should have HDMI 2.1, so they support VRR by default or do you think it should be first enabled by developers in games?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah, definitely, Plasma is just so consistent and uniform. I do have a few reservations towards OLED however (mainly over lifespan compared to Plasma), which has led to me looking at Sony's 2020 TV's as an alternative option. From my research, it seems that Sony LCD's offer the best overall picture quality and uniformity of modern LCD's (Samsung is close, better even in some ways, but no Dolby Vision turns me off to them). Really frustrated with Sony's current line-up tho. I would want the 950H too, but seemingly only the 900H has the HDMI 2.1 features I want, but it's a step down in other respects, specifically the processor. 😞
Wait. What? Isn't the 950H higher? What's going on?

I can't find the post but there was one guy here mentioning that Sony has the best motion or motion handling and least weird artifacts or something along those lines. It was only within the past 60 days. No popular reviewers covers this he says. Something about how every other tv company including TCL and LG has weird dithering problems but not Sony, specially with motion.

Really had a horrid experience with the X900F as I found it much worse than the Vizio P 2018 in terms of blooming and gaming picture quality. The Vizio was so much more colorful with PC and console gaming even with all processing turned off I couldn't believe it. Probably got a broken X900F for that.

DV on the Sony was also really, really bad with even more blooming and really, really crushed darks plus the UI would slow to a crawl in DV.

1080p Upscaling is super amazing and so was the soap opera effect but the gaming picture and blooming plus bad panel uniformity was enough for a frustrating return. The other side of the panel was also noticeably brighter and apparently this is a thing with panels as per notebookcheck's laptop display reviews.

I think I really got unlucky with that X900F experience though. Probably a broken set.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, definitely, Plasma is just so consistent and uniform. I do have a few reservations towards OLED however (mainly over lifespan compared to Plasma), which has led to me looking at Sony's 2020 TV's as an alternative option. From my research, it seems that Sony LCD's offer the best overall picture quality and uniformity of modern LCD's (Samsung is close, better even in some ways, but no Dolby Vision turns me off to them). Really frustrated with Sony's current line-up tho. I would want the 950H too, but seemingly only the 900H has the HDMI 2.1 features I want, but it's a step down in other respects, specifically the processor. 😞
Wait. What? Isn't the 950H higher? What's going on?

I can't find the post but there was one guy here mentioning that Sony has the best motion or motion handling and least weird artifacts or something along those lines. It was only within the past 60 days. No popular reviewers covers this he says. Something about how every other tv company including TCL and LG has weird dithering problems but not Sony, specially with motion.

Really had a horrid experience with the X900F as I found it much worse than the Vizio P 2018 in terms of blooming and gaming picture quality. The Vizio was so much more colorful with PC and console gaming even with all processing turned off I couldn't believe it. Probably got a broken X900F for that.

DV on the Sony was also really, really bad with even more blooming and really, really crushed darks plus the UI would slow to a crawl in DV.

1080p Upscaling is super amazing and so was the soap opera effect but the gaming picture and blooming plus bad panel uniformity was enough for a frustrating return. The other side of the panel was also noticeably brighter and apparently this is a thing with panels as per notebookcheck's laptop display reviews.

I think I really got unlucky with that X900F experience though. Probably a broken set.
Well, bad uniformity can be a defect, yeah. I believe I have heard that DV performance on the 900F was poor. As for blooming, the Sony TV's are just known for it unfortunately, they don't have enough zones to hide the effect. As for the color, that's actually probably intentional. Just as Sony TV's are known for having the best upscaling and motion handling as you pointed out, they are also known for having the most color accurate (realistic, more or less) picture out of the box, the closest you can get to a set with calibrated picture quality without needing calibration. I would not consider that a bad thing myself, but to each their own.

On the Sony line-up for this year, supposedly the lower end 900H will feature the full suite of HDMI 2.1 features, while the higher end 950H will not. Very bizarre decision if true.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Noticed the other day that abt.com is now listing some 2020 Sony sets -

43", 49", 55" and 65" X800H and the 49X950H.

Those sets are on the website with pricing and annotated - "Coming Soon."

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sony had a couple sets some years ago utilizing quantum dots, and the color system was incredible. It seems they either stopped using qd or have limited its range in some way, perhaps for the sake of 'realism' and 'director's intent.' But extended color range and saturation really enhances some content, especially anime and games. Compared to a set with qd technology, such as the 900A from 2013, the recent offerings look washed out to my eyes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sony had a couple sets some years ago utilizing quantum dots, and the color system was incredible. It seems they either stopped using qd or have limited its range in some way, perhaps for the sake of 'realism' and 'director's intent.' But extended color range and saturation really enhances some content, especially anime and games. Compared to a set with qd technology, such as the 900A from 2013, the recent offerings look washed out to my eyes.
Pretty sure Sony still uses Quantum Dots, they call it "Triluminous Display". The X950G has it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Pretty sure Sony still uses Quantum Dots, they call it "Triluminous Display". The X950G has it.
The only Sony's to ever have used Quantum Dots were those couple of A models (and made use of Cadmium, in a perfectly legitimate manner at the time. Iirc the regulations in the US changed so it couldn't be used anymore?)

Triluminos Display only stands for a widened color gamut, these days by way of phosphor instead of Quantum Dots.

·
Registered
992 Posts
This misconception needs to die down , triluminos is not quantum dots, sony used quantum dots only on a couple on 1080p lcd's in 2013 under that moniker, they should have changed the moniker by now. None of their 4k lcd's use quantum dots. Quantum dot technology is produced by nanosys and currently only used by samsung and vizio on their lcd's. Quantum dots helps to boost the color gamut and volume coverage, samsung high end QLED's like Q90R using quantum dots beat sony 4k lcd's , including their top end Z9D, in color gamut and volume coverage.
See the gamut and volume figures here
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q90-q90r-qled

I have always found that sony 4k lcd's have a little washed out look with colors (less saturated look) especially in bright scenes (compared to qled and also sony's OLED's). I have seen the z9d, z9f, xe93/xe94 and x950g (have previously owned a sony 4k lcd too), how come sony 4k lcd owners never find that a problem, or do they not care about great color performance? I now own the 2019 sony master series oled, it is definitely better with color saturation than any sony 4k lcd i have seen.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have always found that sony 4k lcd's have a little washed out look with colors (less saturated look) especially in bright scenes (compared to qled and also sony's OLED's). I have seen the z9d, z9f, xe93/xe94 and x950g (have previously owned a sony 4k lcd too), how come sony 4k lcd owners never find that a problem, or do they not care about great color performance?
I was X900E/X900F owner. Color reproduction was great and very acurate from the box. Didn't see any problems

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Vizio, since 2018.
We don't get Vizio TVs here in Austarila, but after doing some research it looks like Hisense are offering FALD Quantum Dot displays with Dolby Vision.

Sounds like the Hisense Series Q8 ULED might be worth buying over the Sony XH950 from this year.

281 - 300 of 607 Posts