AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Really had a horrid experience with the X900F as I found it much worse than the Vizio P 2018 in terms of blooming and gaming picture quality. The Vizio was so much more colorful with PC and console gaming even with all processing turned off I couldn't believe it. Probably got a broken X900F for that.
Sony had a couple sets some years ago utilizing quantum dots, and the color system was incredible. It seems they either stopped using qd or have limited its range in some way, perhaps for the sake of 'realism' and 'director's intent.' But extended color range and saturation really enhances some content, especially anime and games. Compared to a set with qd technology, such as the 900A from 2013, the recent offerings look washed out to my eyes.
Pretty sure Sony still uses Quantum Dots, they call it "Triluminous Display". The X950G has it.
Sorry to say that Sony is infact using phosphor coating insertad of QD, only the 2013 KDL 900A used QD, which I owned and looked miraculous good. I don't know the detailas why Sony abandoned QD, it could have been that they considered the phosphor good enough for the cost and or the fact that Samsung is a major investor in the company that makes the QD.
Coming from my old Sony and two QD Samsungs to my recent ZF9 I can tell it's a wee bit less saturated when displaying things like red lasers / stop lights. There's also the problem of red fringes/ghosting when running games with black frame insertion at 120hz as the red phosphor attenuates slower than the other two.

I'd love for Sony to start using QD again but we are likely nearing the end for high end LCD TVs as micro LEDs will be the next thing in the coming few years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
sony used quantum dots only on a couple on 1080p lcd's in 2013 under that moniker, they should have changed the moniker by now. None of their 4k lcd's use quantum dots.[/url]

I have always found that sony 4k lcd's have a little washed out look with colors (less saturated look) especially in bright scenes (compared to qled and also sony's OLED's). I have seen the z9d, z9f, xe93/xe94 and x950g (have previously owned a sony 4k lcd too), how come sony 4k lcd owners never find that a problem, or do they not care about great color performance? I now own the 2019 sony master series oled, it is definitely better with color saturation than any sony 4k lcd i have seen.
It is not true that Sony never offered a 4k with quantum dots. The X900A from 2013 was Sony's first big 4k consumer offering, and it utilized qd. It's color system still looks *far superior* to any Sony since, including the Z9D.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was X900E/X900F owner. Color reproduction was great and very acurate from the box. Didn't see any problems
Yes, they are accurate. But accurate often looks somewhat bland. Some of us would like to be able to adjust color more to our liking according to preference and content. The X900A with quantum dots is insanely capable of wide and intense color without ruining skin tones. It's difficult to describe but it can really appear dreamy and someone said it can almost appears like a 'moving painting'. Very nice with anime and gaming, and certain movie genres.

·
Registered
992 Posts
It is not true that Sony never offered a 4k with quantum dots. The X900A from 2013 was Sony's first big 4k consumer offering, and it utilized qd. It's color system still looks *far superior* to any Sony since, including the Z9D.
The X900A was native 2K, not 4K. The W900A was 1080p and both were the first and only consumer TV's released in 2013 with QD. FYI, Sony used quantum dot tech from IQcolor back then, where as today Nanosys is the primary quantum dot provider in most TVs.

Reactions: JoelArt

·
Registered
31 Posts
The X900A was native 2K, not 4K. The W900A was 1080p and both were the first and only consumer TV's released in 2013 with QD. FYI, Sony used quantum dot tech from IQcolor back then, where as today Nanosys is the primary quantum dot provider in most TVs.
The X900A was 3840 x 2160, and initially it didn't have an HDMI port capable of receiving a 4k signal, but Sony retrofitted HDMI port 4 for many customers later. And it did have quantum dot technology as well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
2020 Sony TV expected launch dates

2020 Sony TV expected USA launch dates at V E

49X950H MSRP $1,099 Estimated launch 2/14/20
55X950H MSRP $1,299 Estimated launch early April
65X950H MSRP $1,699 Estimated launch early April
75X950H MSRP $2,699 Estimated launch early April
85X950H MSRP $4,999 Estimated launch 2/21/20

65A8H OLED TV MSRP $2,799. Estimated launch end of April
55A8H OLED TV MSRP $1,899. Estimated launch end of April

85X900H: MSRP $3,499.99 All sizes early May launch
75X900H: MSRP $2,199.99
65X900H: MSRP $1,399.99
55X900H: MSRP $999.99

75Z8H: MSRP $6,999 Estimated launch May 2020
85Z8H: MSRP $9,999 Estimated launch July 2020

A9H: 48", 55", 65" and 77" estimated USA launch is September 2020
2019 A9G vs. the 2020 A9H:
- Sony's A9H Master Series OLED TV will have HDMI 2.1
- Advanced algorithms and more powerful new processor
- New 2 way pedestal stand
- New Slim wall-mount compatible
- Acoustic Auto Calibration w/room correction
- New backlit premium remote, silver finish

·
Registered
330 Posts
2020 Sony TV expected USA launch dates at V E

49X950H MSRP $1,099 Estimated launch 2/10/20
55X950H MSRP $1,299 Estimated launch early April
65X950H MSRP $1,699 Estimated launch early April
75X950H MSRP $2,699 Estimated launch early April
85X950H MSRP $4,999 Estimated launch 2/17/20

65A8H OLED TV MSRP $2,799. Estimated launch end of April
55A8H OLED TV MSRP $1,899. Estimated launch end of April

85X900H: MSRP $3,499.99 All sizes early May launch
75X900H: MSRP $2,199.99
65X900H: MSRP $1,399.99
55X900H: MSRP $999.99

A9H: 48", 55", 65" and 77" estimated USA launch is September 2020
2019 A9G vs. the 2020 A9H:
- Sony's A9H Master Series OLED TV will have HDMI 2.1
- Advanced algorithms and more powerful new processor
- New 2 way pedestal stand
- New Slim wall-mount compatible
- Acoustic Auto Calibration w/room correction
- New backlit premium remote, silver finish

Was leaning towards finally pulling the trigger on the 65a9g, but really do like the backlit remote and a new processor......

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pretty sure Sony still uses Quantum Dots, they call it "Triluminous Display". The X950G has it.
This misconception needs to die down , triluminos is not quantum dots, sony used quantum dots only on a couple on 1080p lcd's in 2013 under that moniker, they should have changed the moniker by now. None of their 4k lcd's use quantum dots. Quantum dot technology is produced by nanosys and currently only used by samsung and vizio on their lcd's. Quantum dots helps to boost the color gamut and volume coverage, samsung high end QLED's like Q90R using quantum dots beat sony 4k lcd's , including their top end Z9D, in color gamut and volume coverage.
See the gamut and volume figures here
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q90-q90r-qled

I have always found that sony 4k lcd's have a little washed out look with colors (less saturated look) especially in bright scenes (compared to qled and also sony's OLED's). I have seen the z9d, z9f, xe93/xe94 and x950g (have previously owned a sony 4k lcd too), how come sony 4k lcd owners never find that a problem, or do they not care about great color performance? I now own the 2019 sony master series oled, it is definitely better with color saturation than any sony 4k lcd i have seen.
Really had a horrid experience with the X900F as I found it much worse than the Vizio P 2018 in terms of blooming and gaming picture quality. The Vizio was so much more colorful with PC and console gaming even with all processing turned off I couldn't believe it. Probably got a broken X900F for that.
Sony had a couple sets some years ago utilizing quantum dots, and the color system was incredible. It seems they either stopped using qd or have limited its range in some way, perhaps for the sake of 'realism' and 'director's intent.' But extended color range and saturation really enhances some content, especially anime and games. Compared to a set with qd technology, such as the 900A from 2013, the recent offerings look washed out to my eyes.
Sorry to say that Sony is infact using phosphor coating insertad of QD, only the 2013 KDL 900A used QD, which I owned and looked miraculous good. I don't know the detailas why Sony abandoned QD, it could have been that they considered the phosphor good enough for the cost and or the fact that Samsung is a major investor in the company that makes the QD.
Coming from my old Sony and two QD Samsungs to my recent ZF9 I can tell it's a wee bit less saturated when displaying things like red lasers / stop lights. There's also the problem of red fringes/ghosting when running games with black frame insertion at 120hz as the red phosphor attenuates slower than the other two.

I'd love for Sony to start using QD again but we are likely nearing the end for high end LCD TVs as micro LEDs will be the next thing in the coming few years.
Ah, I see. Well, it seems there truly isn't a single LCD that has it all. 😞

To Rysa_105, I was looking at Sony because they seemed to be the best for motion handling, upscaling, and screen uniformity among LCD's. I'm not even considering Samsung because of the lack of Dolby Vision, but also am wary of budget brands like Vizio and TCL and their "panel lotteries" because of my experience with the TCL 6 Series last year. So I arrived at either a Sony LCD or OLED ( but am kinda wary of burn-in). I guess the lack of Quantum Dots doesn't change my mind, but it is really disappointing to hear.

To JoelArt, isn't MicroLED still years away from being available at a consumer level, and especially in smaller sizes than like 77 inches?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I meant 4K 'HDR' tv's because that's what 4k tv's ship now with, the X900A wasn't HDR. And i said that the X900A of 2013 was a model that used QD under the triluminos moniker. Beyond 2013, sony ditched quantum dot but retained the triluminos moniker. This is the reason many people still have a misconception that sony tv's having triluminos have quantum dot technology, they dont. None of sony's 4k hdr tv's use QD. Nanosys is currently the only developer of quantum dot technology for lcd and that technology is used by samsung and vizio, but not sony.

Quantum dot helps to boost color volume and gamut. And now with HDR, color volume has become a relevant metric. Sony's 4k hdr tv's may be accurate, you can pretty much make any tv color accurate by calibrating it and bringing down color delta errors as much as possible to below the human perceptible threshold of

·
Registered
177 Posts
We bought the 82” Q90R to replace our Sony XBR-75X940C. After two weeks side by side over various viewing habits... we took the Samsung back. Even though we got a killer price On the Q90R, the picture looked better on the Sony in most cases. Will wait for the 2020’s to make the jump. Hopeful that the 950H will be a big jump over the X940C.

·
Registered
434 Posts
To JoelArt, isn't MicroLED still years away from being available at a consumer level, and especially in smaller sizes than like 77 inches?
Probably but things might move quicker than expected. 2-3 years isn't impossible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I meant 4K 'HDR' tv's because that's what 4k tv's ship now with, the X900A wasn't HDR. And i said that the X900A of 2013 was a model that used QD under the triluminos moniker. Beyond 2013, sony ditched quantum dot but retained the triluminos moniker. This is the reason many people still have a misconception that sony tv's having triluminos have quantum dot technology, they dont. None of sony's 4k hdr tv's use QD. Nanosys is currently the only developer of quantum dot technology for lcd and that technology is used by samsung and vizio, but not sony.

Quantum dot helps to boost color volume and gamut. And now with HDR, color volume has become a relevant metric. Sony's 4k hdr tv's may be accurate, you can pretty much make any tv color accurate by calibrating it and bringing down color delta errors as much as possible to below the human perceptible threshold of

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yes, that is usually how it works. Have to wait a while for any sales to kick in. That's how Sony does this anyway.
They are not delicious limited flapjacks. Patience pays.:cool:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
301 - 320 of 607 Posts