AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Usually SONY does not service products bought outside heir list of authorized sellers. So yes SONY will not be servicing it in 99% of cases. Thing is that if you wanna take risk it is all up to you. Then even if something fails which possibility may be low but if it happens you will have to get it serviced from general electronic repair stores and pay for it. There will be no manufacturer warranty to start with. There can be warranty provided by store you are purchasing from but to claim that you will have to contact the store and not SONY. No one on this forum or any other forum will say doing that is fine. But the decision is yours and you have to take responsibility for what happens later and is on no one else.
Thanks, as I had an to use tech support for my 930E when the Oreo update broke my ARC to only give me only 2.0 sound i am not willing to buy from non authorized dealers.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
950H will have X1 Ultimate where the 900H has the older X1. From what i gather the 900H will not be anywhere near as bright as the 900F as the 900H is essentially a replacement for the 850G. Guessing less zones of local dimming as well. 950H will be about identical to the 950G. Not a great year for their TV's from an upgrade perspective. Haven't seen the Z8H in person yet, was supposed to this week but...you know. Have some virtual trainings coming up.
We're still waiting for your evidence.

Maybe wait like the rest of us for reviews and tests?

Cheers. Stay safe.

Reactions: tidwelr1

·
Registered
131 Posts
Honestly, I plan to buy both next gen console and don't want to comprise with the lack of functionality. Especially if it's going to cost the user almost 7k. Is Earc only going to be on HDMI 4 as well? I want to take full advantage of the consoles/TV/Sound system.
eARC is where you connect your TV to a receiver or sound bar, what ever is connected on the other HDMI inputs the audio is passed through it. You only use one. HDMI 4 is a input not the eARC connection. As far as having 2 game consoles just get a remote controled HDMI switch to connect to HDMI 4.... whatever console you are using just hit the switch passing that signal to HDMI 4....

JD

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks, as I had an to use tech support for my 930E when the Oreo update broke my ARC to only give me only 2.0 sound i am not willing to buy from non authorized dealers.
Yeah it is better to get from Authorized seller. When it is about updates I only update the OS in year of launch after that I never update. Because the initial updates the OS gets bug fixes which were causing trouble directly out of box. But after the next gen models gets announced the updates that come after that are 95% times more troublesome and lower the performance too in worst cases. That is common with all the brands not limited to SONY. I recommend not updating OS after first 6months.

·
Registered
383 Posts
We're still waiting for your evidence.

Maybe wait like the rest of us for reviews and tests?

Cheers. Stay safe.
I’ve been installing and selling Sony TV’s since the analog days. I don’t wait for reviews/tests to see if a TV is any good, can do that on my own. The talk I had with Sony post CES and documents I have show me what they’re doing. On the 28th we have virtual trainings since so many of the lines have been delayed. Going to be a big gap in 75” TV availability year over year. There is no way the 900H is going to be anywhere near the 900F, fact. The 950H is that set this year as the 950G was essentially a refreshed 900F. 1000 nit set is the 950H but I’m betting 900H is a good bit less bright with less zones.

Reactions: CygnusX2112

·
Registered
329 Posts
Z8H HDMI 2.1 features

So I'm seeing for the Z8h series that HDMI 4 is the only port that supports 4k120/8k60. Is that correct? None of the other ports will have or support hdmi 2.1.
Honestly, I plan to buy both next gen console and don't want to comprise with the lack of functionality. Especially if it's going to cost the user almost 7k. Is Earc only going to be on HDMI 4 as well? I want to take full advantage of the consoles/TV/Sound system.

According to this flatpanelsHD article, the Z8H will have two of the HDMI 2.1 features - eARC and 4k120/8k60. Sony USA’s Z8H product specification page lists HDMI 4 as the single port supporting both of these.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1581346800

IMO, the Z8H does not appear to be designed for optimum use with next-gen gaming consoles as it will not include either the VRR or the ALLM HDMI 2.1 features.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah it is better to get from Authorized seller. When it is about updates I only update the OS in year of launch after that I never update. Because the initial updates the OS gets bug fixes which were causing trouble directly out of box. But after the next gen models gets announced the updates that come after that are 95% times more troublesome and lower the performance too in worst cases. That is common with all the brands not limited to SONY. I recommend not updating OS after first 6months.
Sony did add Oreo to the 930e which made the previous sluggish android OS much more responsive! that was outside the first year and well worth it.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I’ve been installing and selling Sony TV’s since the analog days. I don’t wait for reviews/tests to see if a TV is any good, can do that on my own. The talk I had with Sony post CES and documents I have show me what they’re doing. On the 28th we have virtual trainings since so many of the lines have been delayed. Going to be a big gap in 75” TV availability year over year. There is no way the 900H is going to be anywhere near the 900F, fact. The 950H is that set this year as the 950G was essentially a refreshed 900F. 1000 nit set is the 950H but I’m betting 900H is a good bit less bright with less zones.
Thank you for your response.

It's obvious what Samsung's done with their 2020s. Less so for Sony. What we do know is that 'cept for 49" the X950H line is X-Wide Angle, which doesn't ensure optimal contrast and blacks.

Re 2018 X900F, there's room for improvement. Motion and Dolby Vision, two for instances. Also, I'll be interested to see how the X900H X1 Processor performs. I'll be surprised if this is a step backward with no more Extreme Processor for Sony. Wouldn't make much sense with HDMI 2.1 coming on board.

I'll wait for reviews, tests, and surely more discussion of nits and zones. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

If you’re right, my “crystal ball” tells me you’re not likely going to be selling as many Sony sets in the near future. Guess we’ll all see what ratings.com comes up with when they do their review. Not sure what the thought process for Sony is with what the competition is providing. The comp is offering more for less money and Sony is going the other direction if you’re right. Solely focused on higher margin OLED sets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sony xbr-85x800h news/reviews

Hi guys

I m looking for a Sony xbr-85x800h (user) review. Rtings reviewed the x800h but not the 85 inch which has VA panel and not IPS so this review is “useless”.

I would like to know the native contrast. Also I have seen that it does not support [email protected] This seems strange to me because the (older) xbr-85x850g does support this

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys

I m looking for a Sony xbr-85x800h (user) review. Rtings reviewed the x800h but not the 85 inch which has VA panel and not IPS so this review is “useless”.

I would like to know the native contrast. Also I have seen that it does not support [email protected] This seems strange to me because the (older) xbr-85x850g does support this
x800f and x800g both have native 60hz panels, so there is no reason for them to support [email protected]

x850g was native 120hz and the successor to it if you look at the sony given flowchart is the x900h.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Ok that makes it more clear to me.
So what are the differences between the 2019 x800g and 2020 x800h besides Dolby Vision support on the new H-serie?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I've read that Sony will be releasing a "second round" of newer OLED TVs in the later half of 2020. Is this true? If it is, will Sony be doing the same with their LCD TVs?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I've read that Sony will be releasing a "second round" of newer OLED TVs in the later half of 2020. Is this true? If it is, will Sony be doing the same with their LCD TVs?
Re US Sony LED & OLED launches and shipping, see Value Electronics/NY website.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Info on specifics are still lacking on the new models. I’m trying to find out about the Z8H adjustable stand on the 75inch? How far apart they are when put inward? My table is about 60 inches wide. Of course I wanna see a detailed review before make any decisions on buying down the road.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Info on specifics are still lacking on the new models. I’m trying to find out about the Z8H adjustable stand on the 75inch? How far apart they are when put inward? My table is about 60 inches wide. Of course I wanna see a detailed review before make any decisions on buying down the road.
Looks like your table is about 2 inches short...

here is a link

JD

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
The A9H has been cancelled for this year so no but i did hear at CES about a potential LCD at CEDIA but I’m sure that’s all up in the air now. Even those within Sony feel the Z8H is not the flagship LCD they should have made. Did confirm the Z8H will be north of 2k nits though so that’s good at least. They knew it was less than Z9G but expected near 3k nits output. I’m sure the Z8H will be a good set but without the BMD it’s hard to say how far ahead they’ll stay in the LCD flagship race.

521 - 540 of 607 Posts