AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did see online comparison of X950H and X900E. Even then X900E had more natural and accurate colors and lot better back-light control. X950H was brighter and more vibrant in comparison which was not bad. The comparison was not perfect as they were not compared in cinema settings but in normal and vivid mode.

I am not looking at Quantum TV

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
New models are now on BB website

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I did see online comparison of X950H and X900E. Even then X900E had more natural and accurate colors and lot better back-light control. X950H was brighter and more vibrant in comparison which was not bad. The comparison was not perfect as they were not compared in cinema settings but in normal and vivid mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_SmUpkD7E&t=1481s

I am not looking at Quantum TV
I was going to say that nothing of value can be gleaned from these sort of "reviews," until I read that they were compared in normal and vivid modes. smh Nothing can really be learned from this video.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
950H will have X1 Ultimate where the 900H has the older X1. From what i gather the 900H will not be anywhere near as bright as the 900F as the 900H is essentially a replacement for the 850G. Guessing less zones of local dimming as well. 950H will be about identical to the 950G. Not a great year for their TV's from an upgrade perspective. Haven't seen the Z8H in person yet, was supposed to this week but...you know. Have some virtual trainings coming up.
We're still waiting for your evidence.

Maybe wait like the rest of us for reviews and tests?

Cheers. Stay safe.
Vincent Teoh explained how x-wide angle works and the impact last year in one of his reviews.

·
Registered
236 Posts
In Canada they are also. But the X950H though is $600 more than an X950G....is there $600 worth of new tech in the X950H....
Vincent Teoh of HDTVTEST review on Sony XH95 (X950H) 55 inches can now be viewed on his youtube channel..

I am in the same situation and I don’t know if X-Wide Angle, Acoustic Multi Audio (both on 55” or larger) are worth the price difference...I don’t game, just daily tv broadcast and weekend movies so I am ok with 950G or H. Maybe I will wait for some price drop usually Nov before I upgrade to a 4K and just get the H for the added features. Planning to stay with 65” that I currently have.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Vincent Teoh explained how x-wide angle works and the impact last year in one of his reviews.
X900H does not have X-Wide Angle, nor does it have Edge-lit. IOW it has nothing to do with last year's X850G. Who knows, you may be thinking of X800H. No further reply necessary. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
X900H does not have X-Wide Angle, nor does it have Edge-lit. IOW it has nothing to do with last year's X850G. Who knows, you may be thinking of X800H. No further reply necessary. Stay safe.
You're right. I missed something, or inserted something when I first read those statements.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was told the Sony 75 Z8H is delayed anyone else hear this?

JD
Haven’t heard this yet, i know it was a late release to begin with though. Mexico plant closure is causing quite a bottleneck.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Seems that the only way we'll ever know which sets live up to the claims is with actual testing and review using source material that utilizes the 2.1 features. Can't go by what the makers say any longer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Vincent Teoh of HDTVTEST review on Sony XH95 (X950H) 55 inches can now be viewed on his youtube channel..

I am in the same situation and I don’t know if X-Wide Angle, Acoustic Multi Audio (both on 55” or larger) are worth the price difference...I don’t game, just daily tv broadcast and weekend movies so I am ok with 950G or H. Maybe I will wait for some price drop usually Nov before I upgrade to a 4K and just get the H for the added features. Planning to stay with 65” that I currently have.
I am def leaning against to the X950G at this point, seems like a really good TV, but i am worried about Stutter, as Rtings noted that is does not handle stutter as good as some other TV and Stutter and Judder are one things that i do not like :(

[EDIT] This review he notes the 24p is processed very well with no stutter...
at about 12mins

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
In Canada they are also. But the X950H though is $600 more than an X950G....is there $600 worth of new tech in the X950H....
I don't think so myself but this is standard because the X950G price would have dropped while the X950H is has "new model price premium" attached to it. Eventually the X950H will drop in price. Also if you don't want the X-wide angle nonsense and are buying a 55 or 65, stick with the X950G. If it's 75"+ you're screwed either way as they both have it in those sizes.

As a general rule, you will almost always be able to get last year's model (or the year before in the case of say X900F) for cheaper than the newer models even if the newer model is a "downgrade" in some ways which I'm not saying is the case here but sometimes it is. If you're looking for a good deal then you want to buy models that are being cleared out because you will save several hundred in a lot of cases. If you're looking to just have that "2020 model" then be ready to pay top dollar until BF hits.

TBH the best Sony deals are probably on the X900F

If you’re right, my “crystal ball” tells me you’re not likely going to be selling as many Sony sets in the near future. Guess we’ll all see what ratings.com comes up with when they do their review. Not sure what the thought process for Sony is with what the competition is providing. The comp is offering more for less money and Sony is going the other direction ...
Why because of overrated "HDMI 2.1" and gamer features (that don't even need HDMI 2.1)? Or something else?

If you mean the former, Sony has never had the gamer features (yes I know it seems odd given Playstation but this is typical Sony); I imagine they will add VRR, HFR, for 2021 but one thing you might be missing is this is partially Google/Android's fault. Roku has the same predicament. Hisense recently let it be known that the reason their higher end sets are not "HDMI 2.1" is due to delays with both Android and Roku. The funny thing is their in-house/proprietary VIDAA OS sets will be 2.1. However whether those sets will have any of the "gamer features" is questionable since they are low-end sets--"HDMI 2.1" doesn't guarantee those things anyway as they are optional features.

The alleged "2.1 update" on the X900H may not mean much other than eARC for that TV as I doubt any fw update would give the capability of VRR, etc. as those things require hardware, which unless they already built into the sets aren't going to magically come about. Edit: Actually X900H has eARC already w/o 2.1 I think...

It's not like Sony having premium pricing in general is something new either. None of their TVs are bargain options exactly and the cheaper ones they do have : cough : IPS : cough : aren't even worth buying which goes for LG and Samsung as well to some degree (at least Samsung had gamer features on RU8000 and NU8000 but the rest of their low-end crap is, well, overpriced crap). Also remember Sony still follows the old Japanese mentality of "slow and steady wins the race" in a lot of cases, which means 2021 is very likely the earliest we'll see those gamer features. Heck with all the covid craziness now, and various models delayed and possibly not even hitting the market until later in the year, most people will probably be focused on 2021 models instead for things including electronics, cars, etc. If you need those things now and even two years ago, Samsung is a better bet 'cause they've had them for a while but no DV of course. Otherwise Vizio, but just cross your fingers it doesn't break 14 months lol--def. buy that extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I don't think so myself but this is standard because the X950G price would have dropped while the X950H is has "new model price premium" attached to it. Eventually the X950H will drop in price. Also if you don't want the X-wide angle nonsense and are buying a 55 or 65, stick with the X950G. If it's 75"+ you're screwed either way as they both have it in those sizes.

As a general rule, you will almost always be able to get last year's model (or the year before in the case of say X900F) for cheaper than the newer models even if the newer model is a "downgrade" in some ways which I'm not saying is the case here but sometimes it is. If you're looking for a good deal then you want to buy models that are being cleared out because you will save several hundred in a lot of cases. If you're looking to just have that "2020 model" then be ready to pay top dollar until BF hits.

TBH the best Sony deals are probably on the X900F

Why because of overrated "HDMI 2.1" and gamer features (that don't even need HDMI 2.1)? Or something else?

If you mean the former, Sony has never had the gamer features (yes I know it seems odd given Playstation but this is typical Sony); I imagine they will add VRR, HFR, for 2021 but one thing you might be missing is this is partially Google/Android's fault. Roku has the same predicament. Hisense recently let it be known that the reason their higher end sets are not "HDMI 2.1" is due to delays with both Android and Roku. The funny thing is their in-house/proprietary VIDAA OS sets will be 2.1. However whether those sets will have any of the "gamer features" is questionable since they are low-end sets--"HDMI 2.1" doesn't guarantee those things anyway as they are optional features.

The alleged "2.1 update" on the X900H may not mean much other than eARC for that TV as I doubt any fw update would give the capability of VRR, etc. as those things require hardware, which unless they already built into the sets aren't going to magically come about. Edit: Actually X900H has eARC already w/o 2.1 I think...

It's not like Sony having premium pricing in general is something new either. None of their TVs are bargain options exactly and the cheaper ones they do have : cough : IPS : cough : aren't even worth buying which goes for LG and Samsung as well to some degree (at least Samsung had gamer features on RU8000 and NU8000 but the rest of their low-end crap is, well, overpriced crap). Also remember Sony still follows the old Japanese mentality of "slow and steady wins the race" in a lot of cases, which means 2021 is very likely the earliest we'll see those gamer features. Heck with all the covid craziness now, and various models delayed and possibly not even hitting the market until later in the year, most people will probably be focused on 2021 models instead for things including electronics, cars, etc. If you need those things now and even two years ago, Samsung is a better bet 'cause they've had them for a while but no DV of course. Otherwise Vizio, but just cross your fingers it doesn't break 14 months lol--def. buy that extended warranty.

We will be using our new media room tv for movies and gaming so many of the 2.1 features are important for our situation. E-arc is important to me as well as I prefer uncompressed audio. I think the streaming services will provide it down the road. I can definitely tell a difference bw Netflix and a blueray with my system. If you’re using a soundbar, it doesn’t matter. It’s going to sound like crap regardless. E-arc is supposedly much better with handshake issues and no lip sink issues as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
We will be using our new media room tv for movies and gaming so many of the 2.1 features are important for our situation. E-arc is important to me as well as I prefer uncompressed audio. I think the streaming services will provide it down the road. I can definitely tell a difference bw Netflix and a blueray with my system. If you’re using a soundbar, it doesn’t matter. It’s going to sound like crap regardless. E-arc is supposedly much better with handshake issues and no lip sink issues as well.
Well I was quite mistaken, it looks like. X900H will offer HFR, VRR, ALLM, and eARC, all after fw update, so the hardware is in the TV/TV is capable and I'd imagine it's just google/Android they still have to work with to get the features working. I hadn't noticed this was actually stated by Sony, I thought the "2.1 update" was just speculation but it looks like it's definite.

So while the X950G will only have eARC (and it has it out of the box) at least Sony does have one model that will have the complement of 2.1 features (the ones ppl are looking for).

That's not bad at all if you consider the TV is available for purchase now, even if the features aren't enabled yet.

As for audio sync, not sure what eARC is going to do for that, HDMI Auto Lip Sync was incorporated since 1.3 and I don't see any information that eARC (or 2.1 otherwise) enhances or changes this feature. How well it works is hit and miss though typically adjusting on the receiver side solves it even when it's still out of sync.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Well I was quite mistaken, it looks like. X900H will offer HFR, VRR, ALLM, and eARC, all after fw update, so the hardware is in the TV/TV is capable and I'd imagine it's just google/Android they still have to work with to get the features working. I hadn't noticed this was actually stated by Sony, I thought the "2.1 update" was just speculation but it looks like it's definite.

So while the X950G will only have eARC (and it has it out of the box) at least Sony does have one model that will have the complement of 2.1 features (the ones ppl are looking for).

That's not bad at all if you consider the TV is available for purchase now, even if the features aren't enabled yet.

As for audio sync, not sure what eARC is going to do for that, HDMI Auto Lip Sync was incorporated since 1.3 and I don't see any information that eARC (or 2.1 otherwise) enhances or changes this feature. How well it works is hit and miss though typically adjusting on the receiver side solves it even when it's still out of sync.

It may not be the e-arc feature that makes 2.1 more stable in terms of handshake issues. But 2.1 is supposed to be better for handshake and lip sync. I’ve read it somewhere and I believe the digital trends guy has a you tube video that discusses 2.1 features in detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

541 - 560 of 607 Posts