AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Seen the Z8H ?

Haven't seen the Z8H in person yet, was supposed to this week but...you know. Have some virtual trainings coming up.
Did you happen to see a Z8H since your April 22nd post? I'm trying to decide on a 85" Z9G or wait for the Z8H. Of course, I prefer the Z9G for multiple reasons (BMD, more zones, less/no tone mapping, etc.) but the wife doesn't want installers in the house yet because of the Virus.

If you did get to see a Z8H, any thoughts to share?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Did you happen to see a Z8H since your April 22nd post? I'm trying to decide on a 85" Z9G or wait for the Z8H. Of course, I prefer the Z9G for multiple reasons (BMD, more zones, less/no tone mapping, etc.) but the wife doesn't want installers in the house yet because of the Virus.

If you did get to see a Z8H, any thoughts to share?
Sorry, we are just now this week going back to work. I do know the Z8H is on the “do not order if you want it to come in” list and orders coming in won’t fill current back orders. I know the 85Z8H is just now available for preorder thru Sony but no work on 75. Could be awhile. I’d get an 85Z9G in a heartbeat over the Z8H and that’s what Sony told me too.

·
Banned
308 Posts
In Canada they are also. But the X950H though is $600 more than an X950G....is there $600 worth of new tech in the X950H....

Take a look in the X950G thread if you want to learn more about the X950H. They are the same TV with identical internal hardware. The only difference is the new speakers in the X950H, as well as the x-wide angle filter being added to all sizes. The X950H firmware can also be installed on the X950G. They are the same TV.

·
Registered
79 Posts
China review 75Z8H zone count (16x20) 320. 85Z9G used 2xled driver board 360 controllers.
Once again confirmed that X1 is a separate PQ so-processor, + ONT board 8K chip. Z9G have two chipes.
https://post.smzdm.com/p/alpwln7g/

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
China review 75Z8H zone count (16x20) 320. 85Z9G used 2xled driver board 360 controllers.
Once again confirmed that X1 is a separate PQ so-processor, + ONT board 8K chip. Z9G have two chipes.
https://post.smzdm.com/p/alpwln7g/
Still disappointed that the Z8h only has one Hdmi 2.1 port. I hope they give it the x900h treatment with an VRR/ALLM update sometime in the future.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Looks like the Canadian price is $7,999. for the XBR75Z8H

Late June delivery..

JD
Kinda expensive, do they think 8K warrant such a high price. My 75Z9F was only 60K EUR on launch and quickly dropped to around 45 EUR. I wonder if the image quality will not be comparable as well. It supposedly has a bit higher peak nit but how many dimming zones does it have. At least it can do [email protected] SDR which I'd love to have but can it do that in HDR with full chroma 444, if so then it might be warranted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kinda expensive, do they think 8K warrant such a high price. My 75Z9F was only 60K EUR on launch and quickly dropped to around 45 EUR. I wonder if the image quality will not be comparable as well. It supposedly has a bit higher peak nit but how many dimming zones does it have. At least it can do [email protected] SDR which I'd love to have but can it do that in HDR with full chroma 444, if so then it might be warranted.
I am needing a new TV the Z9G 85 is too big for my space, Oled still burn in issues. I believe this 75Z8H would be a step up from my Samsung 4K 65 JS9500.

JD

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm probably wrong on this, but I do believe that the real thing with these 8k TVs are a way of upscaling the 4k material to match the reference monitors they were mastered on.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It supposedly has a bit higher peak nit but how many dimming zones does it have.
75Z8H = 320 dimming zones (source: published review in China)
75Z9F = 288 dimming zones

HDR/Dolby Vision movie titles control maximum peak luminance, with most mastered to output a maximum of 1,000 nits or less. Most LCD sets can’t reach that peak luminance level, and OLEDs range from about 550 - 700 nits max.

The Z9F’s peak HDR luminance capability is about 1,650 nits. Unconfirmed reports are that at least one of the Z8H screen sizes appear to be capable of around 2,000 nits in HDR. Neither set will display more than a HDR/DV title generates, though.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm probably wrong on this, but I do believe that the real thing with these 8k TVs are a way of upscaling the 4k material to match the reference monitors they were mastered on.
Um to my understanding, they don't master on 8K monitors, at best 4K but in reality, most movies, especially the VFX is produced at 2K sadly. Most 4K releases are just pre-upscaled 2K and it does look a bit better that a 2K releas, in part due to 4K disk/streams using more bitrate. True 4K is nice in gaming though. The sad reality is that unless you buy an UDH disk most internet streams compression destroys the finer details in the image and many only actually stream 2K. So we are a long way from truly having use for 8K material. And it's almost point less even when gaming. A game with good antialias will look darn good at 4K. You need at least a 75" and sit really close to it with imagery containing very fine details with very good source material for it to make a difference. Only from 85" or future VR headsets will the resolution truly make a difference.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Um to my understanding, they don't master on 8K monitors, at best 4K but in reality, most movies, especially the VFX is produced at 2K sadly. Most 4K releases are just pre-upscaled 2K and it does look a bit better that a 2K releas, in part due to 4K disk/streams using more bitrate. True 4K is nice in gaming though. The sad reality is that unless you buy an UDH disk most internet streams compression destroys the finer details in the image and many only actually stream 2K. So we are a long way from truly having use for 8K material. And it's almost point less even when gaming. A game with good antialias will look darn good at 4K. You need at least a 75" and sit really close to it with imagery containing very fine details with very good source material for it to make a difference. Only from 85" or future VR headsets will the resolution truly make a difference.
I don't mean that it is doing 8k. What I do mean is that the 8k TVs could possibly be showing the 4k material more true to what is being mastered in the studios. I mean this as far as contrast, those details, brighter peaks and so on. Closer to what the mastering displays show.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't mean that it is doing 8k. What I do mean is that the 8k TVs could possibly be showing the 4k material more true to what is being mastered in the studios. I mean this as far as contrast, those details, brighter peaks and so on. Closer to what the mastering displays show.
But all those things you mentioned like contrast and peak nits don't have anything with resolution to do. 8K is currently not something anyone will benefit from. A 4K TV will do the original master as much justice. Scaling up a 4K to 8K will not be revealing more aspects of the original master. There is however Reality Creation (Sony) and AI Upscaler (Samsung) that will try and add extra details in an image by inference/assumption but that will only give the appearance of higher resolutions but it's not true details.

Reactions: gardennj

·
Registered
608 Posts
But all those things you mentioned like contrast and peak nits don't have anything with resolution to do. 8K is currently not something anyone will benefit from. A 4K TV will do the original master as much justice. Scaling up a 4K to 8K will not be revealing more aspects of the original master. There is however Reality Creation (Sony) and AI Upscaler (Samsung) that will try and add extra details in an image by inference/assumption but that will only give the appearance of higher resolutions but it's not true details.
The case for 8K is really only that makers have given them full HDMI 2.1 ports or that they have better upscaling of non-4k material because they've made the upscalers a bit better. From true 4K source material to 8K isn't as clear. In addition, there's simply no 8K material to even know. I'm wondering how these 8K sets would actually hold up against 8K source material if it was available since most of the makers are sketchy about HDMI 2.1 functionality anyway.

I don't think 8K is going to matter until TVs are 100+" in the future. Well into the future. Like 5 or more years from now. Also about when we might see 8K source material.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Anyone seen a Sony Z8H yet?
On Friday, I went to a Brandsmart at Sawgrass Mills Mall (in South FL and one of the biggest in the country) and they've had the 75" on display for about a week. It was showing in the TORCH mode and looked awful. They wouldn't let me screw around with the remote. This store is so large, there is actually a Sony representative that works out of the store. They're having the Z adjusted this week. They are offering it at $6999, two thousand dollars less than when they had the Z9D.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On Friday, I went to a Brandsmart at Sawgrass Mills Mall (in South FL and one of the biggest in the country) and they've had the 75" on display for about a week. It was showing in the TORCH mode and looked awful. They wouldn't let me screw around with the remote. This store is so large, there is actually a Sony representative that works out of the store. They're having the Z adjusted this week. They are offering it at $6999, two thousand dollars less than when they had the Z9D.

Nothing here yet in Canada

561 - 580 of 607 Posts