AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sony SU-34HS1 Stand for the KV-34HS510.... pictured here: http://www.onecall.com/PID_20087.htm .... has an adjustable shelf that is certainly big enough for a center channel speaker.... but the question is: is it quiet enough? Does anybody place a center channel speaker on this shelf? Does it rattle at all?

TIA,

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, if anybody has recommendations for another stand that fits my purposes better than the Sony purpose-built model, I'm all ears to say the least.

My priorities:
  • space and sturdiness for a *centered and unobstructed* center channel speaker under the TV, preferably directly under the top shelf where the TV rests. I'm probably going to purchase an NHT SuperCenter which is said to be 5.5" tall... give it at least 6.5" and I'm happy.
  • relatively low to the ground. I'd like the stand to be no more than 22" high because there is a beautiful picture window view of a bridge and trees that will be behind it. The bottom of the window is 30" off the floor. By my calculations a 22" stand would put the top of the TV case at 46.5". That's about as high as I'm willing to go.
  • space for the rest of my AV components: HTPC, 2 amps, cable box, possibly an FM tuner)
  • price: I'd rather spend under $300 but the right stand could convince me to go higher, especially if there's room for the rest of my AV gear.
  • color: since my AV components are black and the TV is likely to be silver, and since we have a lot of relatively reddish wood furniture, a cherry or black finish would suit me
  • wheels: I'd really like to have them in order to be able to move the thing without calling in the heavy artillery

Any recommendations? Of course my initial question still "stands" as well, if anybody has experience with these stands and a center channel speaker.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a nice suggestion, iSSues, thanks! The price is more like what I would hope to pay.

I guess you haven't put a speaker on that glass, though. My main worries about the Sony stand, aside from the lack of wheels (which I've just added to my wishlist above):

1) it doesn't seem like a great idea to put a speaker on a glass shelf (vibration?)

2) the Sony stand suspends the glass with some sort of adjustable arms, which may not respond well to the vibration of the speaker.

Again, thanks for your suggestion. It's now on my list. I would hope that CC would be able to put a speaker on that one and demonstrate the stand's ability to handle speaker vibration, so I may enlist them to do so.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that note, but no room up there for me, given my window situation. Also, I don't think the top of the HS510's is flat enough to hold a speaker?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.