AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's funny, I guess people that like one thing apparently like certain other things. I was a die hard Sony ES receiver fanboy since I was a kid. Recently went to Onkyo and I love them. I have an RZ740 and RZ630

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dolby Vision in John Wick 3 & The Matrix

Just upgraded to 4K OLED TV and got me a couple DV movies: John Wick 3 & The Matrix.
My 4K player (Sony 1100ES) has the ability to turn DV on and off.

Can someone who has either of these flics point me to a scene, or scenes, that really show off the Dolby Vision effect? Want to view scene(s) without DV and then with.

Thx,
J

·
Registered
791 Posts
IS there a list anywhere of what file types it will play over the network?
Wasnt it in the user manual?
A lot depends also on your DLNA server. Plex for example can transcode/remux on the fly.
Hence list of compatible input formats depends on server.
Oh, you can also pull DLNA profile list from the device or look it up on network.
You will get something like the attached file.
Incidentally, it has 0 differences to UBP-X800's supported formats.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had mine about a week now. I don't know if things were covered in an update, but I get H
HDR10 and I can leave Dolby Vision on and it switches itself. The only problem I've come up with it when DV is selected, each time you move in any direction on Netflix, the screen goes black for a few seconds which is pretty annoying. Another issue is I wanted to use both HDMI ports to separate the video and audio, but I run into a whole bunch of switching issues with ARC. MY Sony 950g TV is sending a signal back to my Onkyo RZ740 and making it switch to TV instead of remaining on the Bluray input. Also, when going from disc to say over the air broadcast, I have to turn everything on and off to get sound again. I'm pretty frustrated. I've tried every setting and there's no real way to use the separate audio and video configuration. Sucks.
I have the ES 1000 on hdmi 2, roku on hdmi 1 and my Denon is on a non arc hdmi and I have no issues (Netflix on roku - no internal apps used. The 950G powers up on roku & ES 1000 only consistently. Maybe not helpful but all is well here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greets peoples.
I just installed the X1100ES, and the first thing I did was find the firmware update, it was pretty recent 2-21-2020 IIRC.
I have no idea if the new firmware fixes this DV switching issue you guys talk about, I don't even know how to test that function. I am not a video guy, I'm an audio guy.

I also have a 999ES, which is working fine.
This Sony unit will replace an Oppo 203, which isn't working properly.

I bought this unit mostly for an easy, in-cabinet audio streaming solution, from media server to vintage stereo. And specifically, I wanted to be able to display audio track info on a TV. I have a Marantz UD5005 that does this, and so I wanted the same in another unit with newer GUI for the media - the Marantz is older and stopped getting updates years ago and is very clunky and crashy - I think it has faulty DLNA implementation.

At any rate, I don't care at all about the video performance (although I will occasionally play Bluray movies, but again, this is a 2 channel only system). Oh, and I have some concert video DVD's that I'll play on this.
So ya, this unit has pretty good audio specs, a (so far) decent GUI for media streaming and for me, I needed the 2 channel ANALOG outputs. And so far, I have been able to get a DSD analog signal from the unit - ya!

OH, my unit failed on the first attempt on the firmware install - second try it went in fine - about a 5 minute process from wired LAN.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm, Can't seem to get the unit to display Album Art... It is seeing the tag info. Other than that, it's working great. PQ and SQ are good enough to seem great to me. For $350, not bad.

Anyone have an idea on this?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hmmm, Can't seem to get the unit to display Album Art... It is seeing the tag info. Other than that, it's working great. PQ and SQ are good enough to seem great to me. For $350, not bad.

Anyone have an idea on this?
There is no album art display on this device.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Greets peoples.
I just installed the X1100ES, and the first thing I did was find the firmware update, it was pretty recent 2-21-2020 IIRC.
I have no idea if the new firmware fixes this DV switching issue you guys talk about, I don't even know how to test that function. I am not a video guy, I'm an audio guy.

I also have a 999ES, which is working fine.
This Sony unit will replace an Oppo 203, which isn't working properly.

I bought this unit mostly for an easy, in-cabinet audio streaming solution, from media server to vintage stereo. And specifically, I wanted to be able to display audio track info on a TV. I have a Marantz UD5005 that does this, and so I wanted the same in another unit with newer GUI for the media - the Marantz is older and stopped getting updates years ago and is very clunky and crashy - I think it has faulty DLNA implementation.

At any rate, I don't care at all about the video performance (although I will occasionally play Bluray movies, but again, this is a 2 channel only system). Oh, and I have some concert video DVD's that I'll play on this.
So ya, this unit has pretty good audio specs, a (so far) decent GUI for media streaming and for me, I needed the 2 channel ANALOG outputs. And so far, I have been able to get a DSD analog signal from the unit - ya!

OH, my unit failed on the first attempt on the firmware install - second try it went in fine - about a 5 minute process from wired LAN.
Oppo still does service. They will fix your 203 for a flat rate fee, and turn it around pretty quick, although I believe right now they have suspended service due to the coronavirus. Why not send them an email, tell them the player's symptoms, and eventually get it fixed.

The X1100es is a nice player and if my Oppo dies and can't be fixed, that's probably the player I'd pick up as the Pioneer is not available, but if my Oppo 203 can be repaired, I'd go that route first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no album art display on this device.
Dang, figures. Seems like I always assume something is there, and of course I'm wrong.
Ya, my other players of this "sort", like the Marantz UD5005 - it's about 10 years old, but it does show album art, which I like.

I did play a Blu-ray Jethro Tull concert yesterday, and the X1100ES does seem like it's got better PQ than my old Marantz or Oppo. I'd guess that SQ is about the same (but ya, all units using 2ch analog out to same audio system, so not surprising).
I'll do some more comparisons, but this unit might get sent back and I'll just stick with the older units.

Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Based on a request from neighboring X800M2 thread, I did a new summary of all possible artefacts the Dolby Vision setting ON can and will produce.
Did not test every possible framerate, as I could only use what I have.
Playing Dolby Vision from the file (marked with an asterisk) requires a single-stream Profile 5 DV stream. The 2-stream Profile 7 is only recognised on optical disk, not in a file.
IN and OUT columns represent signal info from the HUD as shown on the second screenshot. For DV output format, also signal properties from HDFury Vertex had to be added.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wow...I'm Not seeing much love for the X1100ES in these pages. How do folks with this player feel about using it for audio?

I already have a modest DV Capable BD player so the BD features aren't particularly compelling for me. What I'm looking for is something to replace a dead CD player and was looking for some feedback from folks using it for audio playback. This player hits the top end of my budget and I figured I can justify the extra $$ for this as a universal player assuming I can control it by remote (or player buttons) only without use of the TV and if it supports gapless playback on CDs?

Thoughts and impressions?
What do you like or dislike about it (ignoring the lack of auto-switch for Dolby Vision)?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Wow...I'm Not seeing much love for the X1100ES in these pages. How do folks with this player feel about using it for audio?

I already have a modest DV Capable BD player so the BD features aren't particularly compelling for me. What I'm looking for is something to replace a dead CD player and was looking for some feedback from folks using it for audio playback. This player hits the top end of my budget and I figured I can justify the extra $$ for this as a universal player assuming I can control it by remote (or player buttons) only without use of the TV and if it supports gapless playback on CDs?

What do you like or dislike about it (ignoring the lack of auto-switch for Dolby Vision)?
Are you talking about the audio using the analog outs on the back of the player? If so, I think it's been reported to be fairly good, but not as good as Oppo and other dedicated audio players.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Are you talking about the audio using the analog outs on the back of the player? If so, I think it's been reported to be fairly good, but not as good as Oppo and other dedicated audio players.
That is an interesting topic. Do you have any references to measurements or other fact-based comparisons?
Would love to see the differences.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

I'd expect analog audio performance to be pretty good and about equal to the Oppo 203. The 203 uses an AKM 4458vn DAC. The Sony uses the 4452vn which is the two channel cousins to the 4458 8 channel dac used in the Oppo. Spec wise the two dacs are the same for 2 channels.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I'd expect analog audio performance to be pretty good and about equal to the Oppo 203. The 203 uses an AKM 4458vn DAC. The Sony uses the 4452vn which is the two channel cousins to the 4458 8 channel dac used in the Oppo. Spec wise the two dacs are the same for 2 channels.
Hi
Can I ask where did you get this info on the DAC?

I've just joined the club, are there really so few buyers or perhaps, everyone has been happy and there's nothing to post?
Anyone using the Bravia mode?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Hi
Can I ask where did you get this info on the DAC?

I've just joined the club, are there really so few buyers or perhaps, everyone has been happy and there's nothing to post?
Anyone using the Bravia mode?

Cheers :)
I can't find it now. I found it using google a while back. The only thing I can find now is reference to the older Sony UHP-H1 blu ray player which uses that chip. Some guys on DYI audio forum had taken one apart and found it. It preceded the 1000es player. It only makes sense that they'd continue using that chip. For a large buy (500) they are about a buck 60 each. (digikey price). It's a decent sounding dac in my 203 (the 8 channel cousin).

41 - 60 of 67 Posts