AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just replaced my PS3 with the Sony UHP-H1. Overall quality seems fine, but I have an issue with 5.1 audio from Netflix.
My UHP-H1 is connected to a Rotel RSP-1069 pre amp, which is HDMI 1.1 (so it does not decode Master Audio and True HD) and to a Sony VPL-HW40ES projector. Since I want the Blu-Ray player to decode lossless multichannel audio and send them to the preamp, I set the Digital Audio Output to "PCM", because, if I set it to "Auto", the player sends the lossy versions of Dolby Digital and DTS to the preamp.
I have set [BD Audio MIX Setting] to "Off" because on the manual it says "Select this to output HD audio signals to
an AV amplifier (receiver)".
The problem is that when the Digital Audio Output is set to "PCM", Netflix only shows the 2.0 versions of the audio track. If I set Digital Audio Output to "Auto" instead, Netflix shows the 5.1 versions of the audio track also.
The solution I have adopted is to set "Auto" when I watch Netflix and "PCM" when I watch Blu-Ray discs, but as you can understand, it is quite annoying.

Anyone can help ?

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I just replaced my PS3 with the Sony UHP-H1. Overall quality seems fine, but I have an issue with 5.1 audio from Netflix.
My UHP-H1 is connected to a Rotel RSP-1069 pre amp, which is HDMI 1.1 (so it does not decode Master Audio and True HD) and to a Sony VPL-HW40ES projector. Since I want the Blu-Ray player to decode lossless multichannel audio and send them to the preamp, I set the Digital Audio Output to "PCM", because, if I set it to "Auto", the player sends the lossy versions of Dolby Digital and DTS to the preamp.
I have set [BD Audio MIX Setting] to "Off" because on the manual it says "Select this to output HD audio signals to
an AV amplifier (receiver)".
The problem is that when the Digital Audio Output is set to "PCM", Netflix only shows the 2.0 versions of the audio track. If I set Digital Audio Output to "Auto" instead, Netflix shows the 5.1 versions of the audio track also.
The solution I have adopted is to set "Auto" when I watch Netflix and "PCM" when I watch Blu-Ray discs, but as you can understand, it is quite annoying.

Anyone can help ?
The manual is poorly written. Set Audio Mix to On.

Setting Audio Mix to Off is one of the prerequisites for bitstreaming. Since your pre/pro can't handle the Dolby and DTS HD audio formats, it's incompatible with bitstreaming, so having Audio Mix On can't hurt. With it on, the player decodes the on-disc audio into PCM so it can mix in menu sounds and secondary audio streams (which most BDs don't have). As a result, with BD Mix On, the player should generate multichannel PCM. That might (or might not) do the right thing for Netflix, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you, I set [BD Audio MIX Setting] to "On" and [Digital Audio Output] to "Auto" and it seems to work fine: I get 5.1 audio on Netflix and PCM to my preamp.
Since the instruction manual is poorly written, wouldn't it be great to go through the settings on this thread ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, I start with the Screen Settings (I will skip the obvious ones):
[3D Output Setting]:set to [Auto] if you want to see 3D or to [Off] if you want 4k with 3D
[Screen Format]: I set it to [Full] but I didn't understand what happens with [Normal]
[Cinema Conversion Mode]: I set it to [Auto] but I didn't get this too
[Output Video Resolution]: I believe this should always be set to [Auto]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked up a UHP-H1 to replace my Pioneer BDP-85FD when it began having playback problems recently. The Pioneer was able to send DSD over HDMi to my Pioneer SC-89 when playing SACDs. The Sony is only seems to be able to send PCM over HDMI.

I've tried settings mentioned earlier, like turning BD Audio Mix Off and setting DSD Output Mode to Auto. Is there anything else I can try, or is possibly a compatibility issue between the Sony player and Pioneer receiver?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some progress... going into System Settings, and changing AV Separation Output Mode to ON, has changed "PCM" to "DSD PCM" on the SC-89. No pure DSD connection yet, but continuing to work on it.

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
Gapless Playback of Flac files

Has anyone actually tested whether this player can do gapless playback of hi res files via USB? I have asked Sony and Crutchfield and no one has an answer. Anyone try this?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Has anyone done any serious listening and evaluation of the 2 channel analog outs on this player? I'm interesting in buying this player primarily for its 2 channel CD/SACD playback via the analog outs.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sony UHPH1

Just come across this discussion. This Sony UHPH 1 is just what i am looking for! I sold my Oppo BD-103 a few years ago and have been using my Pioneer BDP-80Fd Blu-Ray player ever since. I connect using HDMI so the Oppo was over kill and the Pioneer is good but supposedly doesn't play DVD-A ( But does play my Pink Floyd Immers set DVD-A? ) Not sure how. Not jumping to 4K TV's anytime soon so this little players looks to be perfect for best 1080P playback plus will play my SACD's and DVD-A disc. Also has the Amazon app which i need to!

Question i have is via HDMI i want to use the Sony processing for upscale picture. What setting should i use on the player to make sure the Sony is producing the picture not my Marantz SR 5008? I run all my componets thru the Marantz SR5008 then run 1 HDMI cable up to my Samsung Plazma.

thanks

·
Registered
30,562 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

I did read your comments before. It would be replacing (for music playback only) my Oppo BDP-103, which while sounds very good is not quite satisfying to me. I don't know, the tone quality is like too bland or clinical or something...I can't quite put my finger on it. I only know I just haven't been fully satisfied with it for some reason, though on my other main system I have a Marantz SA8003, which is really good and I've found very satisfying.

It's for a small system I have in a condo of mine. Speakers are Music Hall's Marimbas, amp is a Sony STR-DG1200 (same guts and amp as the DA3400ES from that year). I send everything 'analog direct' with no signal processing or EQ directly through the receiver's amp. I listen to mostly classical and jazz. I also have limited cabinet space and could just barely fit the BDP-103 in there, which is another reason I'm considering the Sony.

I've always seemed to like the sound of Sony's players, as I've had several of their SACD players over the years, including the XA5400ES. They tend to be a little bright on the high end, yes, but the Marimbas are a little recessed on the high end so it may be a good match. I'm thinking at least.

·
Registered
30,562 Posts
I did read your comments before. It would be replacing (for music playback only) my Oppo BDP-103, which while sounds very good is not quite satisfying to me. I don't know, the tone quality is like too bland or clinical or something...I can't quite put my finger on it.
Then, I guess, you know how I feel about the two.

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
I ordered one today from Amazon to see if it will do what I want: play hi res files via USB with no gaps. I asked whether it could do this here, at Amazon and Crutchfield and apparently no one else is interested in or has tested this capability.

I will report my findings once I receive it. Although since no one seems to care about this capability, maybe I won't.

301 - 320 of 467 Posts