AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to create a movie using sony vegas platinum 9.0b and my sony hd handcam (HDR-SR12). however, every time i try and render the movie to avchd 1080p movie, the program crashes at around 8% progress. however, when i try to render to every other format (.wmv,.mpg,.avi,etc), it works perfectly fine, its just the avchd (.m2ts) that im having problems with. anyone else experiencing this problem?

·
Registered
658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylin59 /forum/post/15410977

im trying to create a movie using sony vegas platinum 9.0b and my sony hd handcam (HDR-SR12). however, every time i try and render the movie to avchd 1080p movie, the program crashes at around 8% progress. however, when i try to render to every other format (.wmv,.mpg,.avi,etc), it works perfectly fine, its just the avchd (.m2ts) that im having problems with. anyone else experiencing this problem?

Same here... saw some other posts elsewhere claiming the same thing. I have the trial version.... Good thing I didn't pay for it.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
This is something I've been trying to get an answer to for a while now. See this post at the end of a thread on AVCHD editing:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15406763

I have the SR11, experience the same problem, and according to posts at Sony's support forums, it is commonly reported. The only thing I can't determine is if this is a universal problem, or if it just occurs on some systems. Mine is Vista 64-bit, and theoretically at least, this might be the source of my problems.

I have grown to really like SVMS9 otherwise, and have learned enough to create some decent looking regular DVD's, YouTube videos, etc. I don't currently have a BluRay burner, or a BluRay player, so I can wait a while for them to fix the glitch that apparently prevents AVCHD rendering, but not forever.

I can also render to every other format, including HDV m2t files, at full resolution; it's just so ironic that SVMS9 chokes on the very format that Sony is using on its cameras!

I was about to start a thread on this particular topic as well, to get a definitive answer, so I'll ask it here again:
  • Is anybody successfully using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 with their original AVCHD files to render 1920x1080-60i Dolby 5.1 AVCHD files (mt2s or mp4) which could then be burnt to plain DVD and played back on PS3 or appropriate BluRay player?
  • And as another follow-up: can anybody with Vegas Pro 8.x render full 1920x1080-6-I Dolby 5.1 AVCHD files frp, SR11/SR12, etc.?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto /forum/post/15411916
  • Is anybody successfully using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 with their original AVCHD files to render 1920x1080-60i Dolby 5.1 AVCHD files (mt2s or mp4) which could then be burnt to plain DVD and played back on PS3 or appropriate BluRay player?
  • And as another follow-up: can anybody with Vegas Pro 8.x render full 1920x1080-6-I Dolby 5.1 AVCHD files frp, SR11/SR12, etc.?

I've successfully used Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9.0b (Platinum) with AVCHD files to render 1920x1080-50i Dolby 5.1 AVCHD files (mt2s) for PS3 playback.

Video length was a little over 5 minutes and contained 18 events with transitions and titling.

Rendering would crash consistently until I disabled all but one core. I'm using Vista Business (32-bit), so I used the following command (+ reboot) to disable three cores:

bcdedit /set onecpu on

There is an equivalent setting for Windows XP (boot.ini).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bod

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbod /forum/post/15774940

I've successfully used Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9.0b (Platinum) with AVCHD files to render 1920x1080-50i Dolby 5.1 AVCHD files (mt2s) for PS3 playback.

Video length was a little over 5 minutes and contained 18 events with transitions and titling.

Rendering would crash consistently until I disabled all but one core. I'm using Vista Business (32-bit), so I used the following command (+ reboot) to disable three cores:

bcdedit /set onecpu on

There is an equivalent setting for Windows XP (boot.ini).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bod

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Bod.

I'm glad this is working for you, although I must say we shouldn't have to go through that kind of nonsense (which I imagine would adversely effect performance of your computer overall, since it's not taking advantage of its hardware's capability).

This problem is well documented on Sony's forums, and is known by them. We're all just waiting for a fix so that Movie Studio will actually do what it is supposed to do!

I also have confirmed reports from 1 or 2 others that Vegas Pro handles this without problem, so it seems to just be Movie Studio with this bug.

Thanks again for posting.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto /forum/post/15775198

I'm glad this is working for you, although I must say we shouldn't have to go through that kind of nonsense (which I imagine would adversely effect performance of your computer overall, since it's not taking advantage of its hardware's capability).

This problem is well documented on Sony's forums, and is known by them. We're all just waiting for a fix so that Movie Studio will actually do what it is supposed to do!

Hi Don,

I agree completely. I'm still running on the trial version, and whilst I'm generally very happy with Vegas Studio I'm very surprised that Sony have taken so long to (not yet) fix what seems to be a significant issue with the product.

Sadly, the competition doesn't seem to be doing much better. I've tried Premiere Elements, other PC and Mac products, and all appear to have their failings when it comes to AVCHD support.

For me, Vegas Studio does represent value for money, but I'll be holding off on my purchase until this issue is resolved.

Cheers

Bod

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbod /forum/post/15774940

Rendering would crash consistently until I disabled all but one core.

I'm surprised. I do as you (extra tracks, over 20 edits) and I have not had this problem. I use a typical (dual core) laptop for editing/rendering with Sony Platinum Vegas. I don't shut down one core. (Rendering takes time... )

Sony Platinum deals with these various complex edits, video and sound tracks well to produce BR files burned to a DVD-R disc.

OTOH, I have tried other software (eg. ulead, CyberProducer) and these crashed.

Maybe it is a question of test versions. I bought Sony Platinum but I tested the trial uLead, CyberLink software.

·
Registered
747 Posts
For those of you having problems rendering 1920x1080 AVCHd 5.1 files, what camcorders are you using, same for those that have had some success.

I have been reading many forums as I too have this problem and read that Panasonic recordings have an issue with vegas when rendering 1920 (was thinking of getting a Canon). I have the Pansonic HDC-SD9 and can render AVCHD 51. sound only in 1440x1080 (it only worked when I transferred the video to my Pc using HD Writer as it changed the MTS file to M2TS, when I just copied / dragged the MTS files over Vegas crashed during the rendering process, I also had to set the Dynamuc Ram Previwe to 0).

I am using Vegas Studio Platinum 9.0b (also tried the trial version of vegas Pro 8.0c with the same results) on a quad core with 4gb ram. I have also used Pinnacle 12 and Ultead Video Studio 11.5, found Vegas the most stable as it works for 1440x1080 with out any sync problems or crashes so far - only started using it).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

I have been having the same problem. Rendering errors out and shut the program a bit into the render.

I have a brand new computer, (one I bought for editing videos). Running Vista 64. I have a Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder, that I am loading in AVCHD files into Vegas MSP 9.

BUT, I have noticed that a couple people mentioned that it could be caused by Vista 64 bit. Can anyone confirm this? Has Sony come out and confirmed this?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntmx /forum/post/17048090

Hello All,

I have been having the same problem. Rendering errors out and shut the program a bit into the render.

I have a brand new computer, (one I bought for editing videos). Running Vista 64. I have a Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder, that I am loading in AVCHD files into Vegas MSP 9.

BUT, I have noticed that a couple people mentioned that it could be caused by Vista 64 bit. Can anyone confirm this? Has Sony come out and confirmed this?

Sony VMS9.0b is not "officially" supported in Vista 64-bit, but many of us are running it successfully.

The rendering problem was a tougher nut to crack, and as far as I know, Sony has not yet fixed this bug. However, you can carefully and precisely follow the steps in the following thread - it fixed it for me, and I can now render to AVCHD without problem:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=650217

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same crashing problem as well. it gets worse the larger your project becomes. After reading another post I converted all of the video files (AVI, MPG, M4V, MOV, Divx, etc.....) to all MPEG-2 DVD format, and tried to render it, and it failed as well. I then converted all of the files to AVI using WinFF (I'm guessing Xvid codec). It hasn't crashed since. Even at 25MBps 1080i. There must be some problem reading and interpreting MPEG-2 files when trying to output to MPEG-2 DVD format. FYI: 9.0b on quad core Vista-32 with lots of codecs installed

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Well, just ran into the same problem many others have have had with studio platinum pro. Crashing...

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=702526

The last few days I made several renders where I just used a single shot with some FX, text and had no problems. Today I put a few clips into a project with some dissolves, (overlapping the shots) Total clip time was 8 minutes. Played fine in preview window. Went to render it to 1920x1080 mp4 and as soon as it got to the first dissolve, crash.

Tried numerous times. This is really annoying and the software is useless to me if it can't properly render a project using avchd footage to be full hd at the final stage. anybody experience this?

edit:

Well, several more crashes later and i'm done. I even took out all the transitions, just had 5 clips in a project, no titles, no overlays. Total time was 8 minutes and it just kept crashing, sometimes giving error messages, sometimes not. They advertise that it is AVCHD compatible. Sure, for editing, not for rendering so what's the use.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/18539654

Well, several more crashes later and i'm done. I even took out all the transitions, just had 5 clips in a project, no titles, no overlays. Total time was 8 minutes and it just kept crashing, sometimes giving error messages, sometimes not. They advertise that it is AVCHD compatible. Sure, for editing, not for rendering so what's the use.

Try this little hack....

Originally designed for Vegas Pro 8 but works for Vegas Platinum as well.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=648031

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Thanks, bigbarney. I think I will have to as just checked the return policy on software from TigerDirect and all they will do is exchange, not refund. Does the PRO 9.0 (which I've considered maybe upgrading to down the road have the same issue?

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Just did it. PITA as it wouldn't let me save the tweaked files so I finally figured to adjust the security on each one to allow full control as a user. Then I could save the file with the 2gb limitation removed, (what a dumbass move whoever programmed that in by default)

Did it. Am currently flying through the render with dissolves, FX that crashed after 2% yesterday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.