AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all a great thanks to this forum for allowing me to use this PJ at all. I got it for free when I left my job managing a student pub, and have been happy with it even with a few flaws. But since my budget don't allow the purchase of a new(er) PJ I will have to live with a bit of Red Haze and continous convergence. (Why oh why did the perfect image bug bite me...)

I have no idea how old this thing is, I started playing around inside it even before I knew a thing about it and have probably messed up a lot of things, but it's still working so I'm happy..

Running a Pioneew DV515 multi region DVD trough S-Video on it

My questions are as follows to anyone who knows a little about the PJ

Can I get new(er) CRTs for it ? Will any Sony 5.5" do? Does anyone Have a price estimate? ebay? Can I change one CRT and not all of them?

If anyone have any laying about I need the Red and possibly the blue CRT :)

My convergence is messing up everytime I shut the PJ off. The red will drift sideways so that it is visible beside the blue and green that stays in place. Any ideas or is this something I'll have to live with? Analogue PJ...

I was happy enough to find the manual for the PJ (or in fact the manual for VPH 1041Q) in a post here and that helped me a lot.

Will an ISF tech laugh at me for having a PJ with burn in and other problems and wanting to have it calibrated or will he be happy to take my money? I found a website called http://www.convergent-av.co.uk where a guy called Gordon advertises his services in the Glasgow area, anyone have any experience with him?

Also a few of the small yellow heads for adjusting convergence has fallen off so i'll never get it 100%. Can that be replaced?

Any other tips you might have would also be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to CRT and learning as I go along.. but I can never go back to a TV or a cheap LCD PJ again so I'm dreaming of a digitally based one when the money is in the bank.

Again thanks a lot for this great forum

Kenneth

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Kenneth

I had the exact same PJ. I too found that the convergence drifted, this is part of having a analog PJ. Run the PJ for at least 45 minutes before converging it. The next time you fire it up the convergence will be off, but if you wait about 45 minutes it will be reasonable. You have to run the PJ at the same temp as when you converged it to have a (relatively) stable convergence.

I believe the 1000Q has a higher output (than other 10xx) of 600 lumens, so I'm not sure if the CRT's are the same as the other 10xx. CuRT Palme will likely have parts but he'll also likely tell you not to spend much money on it. You can upgrade to a similair PJ (Sony 1031q) that will accept line doubling. I believe they go for around $400-700.

I'd buy a new PJ before I'd ISF it...

My 2 cents....hope I helped a bit

Wes

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
WOW,

Well not ot be to crule :) but iof you broke off some of the yellow pots its problably not worth doing too much with this unit.

If you need new CRT's you may need to use those trimmer pots to calibrate them. In fact, On my 1031Q the little yello pots are really not to be touched for converging. There is a control area surrounded by clear plastic that shows what each control is for and these are blue.

You can change the CRT's one by one but they must be the same number. For example in the 1031Q the CRTs art Sd-187 tubes. If you have the same number tubes, which I dont think you do you could use them. What you going to pay for even slightly burnt CRT's is problably going to be more then it would be worth putting into that unit.

If the unit works, maby you couldl unload it on E BAY for parts only and get enough money to get a 1031Q. Then getting it ISFed will be worth while because the 1031Q can at least do line doubling.

Its really not worth paying a calibrator or even thinking of calibrating a unit that old and that unstable and one that has broken pots.

HOWEVER, I do have some new input boards for a SONY 104X. I have the main input board and others. I dont know if these are compatible but if you tell me what board the broken pots are on I can see if I have those boards or boards with parts you could use.

Maby we can make a deal or somthing. E mail me directly and well talk
[email protected]

·
Registered
496 Posts
Kenneth-

Its old. :)

In order to do a decent calibration the tech is going to need the PJ to be in near perfect working order.

Convergence shifting could be the result of bad capacitors or a heat related failure. May or may not be tied in with the broken controls. (The PJ should warm up for at least 1/2 hour, if not more, before you do any type of convergence. During the warm up time convergence can shift slightly.)

Ive seen CRTs go from $20 and up on ebay, sometimes a lot more (500+). It really depends on the condition they are in. They can be very time consuming to replace and set up properly. Replacing them, if you are not aware, also requires full calibration and registration be performed.

If you have a tech do the work, he is going to need to be at the PJ. With all the work to do, it sounds like he will be spending a long while working on the unit. You will probably have to pay for travel time as well. You would likely have more money in the tech than the working PJ is worth, and that's before you even consider the "real" calibration. :eek:

Unless you can do the repair work yourself I would suggest you save your money to buy a better PJ. Perhaps you could part this unit out or sell as-is to get yourself another unit?

Good Luck!

--Kieth

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I will probably go for a newer PJ. The trusty old 1000QM will have to do for a while, but if i can get a used one for between 500-1000$ then I'll be OK. I actually took the lenses out and cleanded them on the weekend and after working for a while on convergence it actually looks quite good. The blue is slightly off in one corner but it's not visible on widescreen material anyway so..

There is no way I can go back to a TV now after a couple of years with this thing :D

I noticed thet Gordon also sold used PJs and will give him a little word when the cash flow allows me to. And try to unload the old 1000QM on eBay or mount it in my bedroom :)

What is the best material for warm up of the PJ? Can i just leave it without a picture or should I run a documetary or TV programming on it?

Cheers guys.

I'll be around

Kenneth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.