AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Donnie,

For what they are these are great little projectors ...especially if you are getting it very cheaply or free.

Their 'problem' is mainly that they are analog projectors and you have to adjust a lot of little pots to do the convergence. That means that you cannot easily change aspect ratios from 4:3 to 16:9

On the positive side, they are good performers because they use good tubes and lenses and they are reasonably bright if you don't push the picture size up too much. They can also accept a line doubled image from something like a pc or an iScan which helps the picture quality.

A search on the crt forum and archives will give you a bit more detail.

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are great projectors - especially if you can get one for free. I have a 1030Q1 which is a little older and doesn't refresh as high. Adjustment instructions are available online. projectorspecs.com (I think) - I downloaded the manual for mine and went throught the adjustment procedure. Not that bad. My DVD player has a zoom feature that lets me easily change aspect ratios. Mine had a problem displaying Macrovision - had weird lines at the top etc.. Again the DVD player I have can switch off Macrovision - made a huge difference.

·
Registered
16,829 Posts
Donnie ,

Get it !!!

These are great units , easy to move around [ at about 65lbs. ] which is about 1/2 of most other front projectors . They can throw a great image if you keep it within the 60x80 range . I throw a 45x80 16:9 AR and the image is fantastic for such an inexpensive unit . I have yet to see a non-hdtv rptv over 60 inches that has as good of an image and most of those rptv's cost a couple thousand dollars . You will hardly ever hear any complaints about this unit , people seem to be very impressed by these little guys . I have been very happy with mine and when you get the adjustments [ convergence ] figured out it is really easy to tune when needed . If you use an HTPC with it you will be impressed with the line doubled image .

If you don't want it yourself then at least get it and give it to somebody here on the forum that wants a projector [ there are plenty ] .

Enjoy ,

Jason Berg

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by burns1968
. My DVD player has a zoom feature that lets me easily change aspect ratios. Mine had a problem displaying Macrovision - had weird lines at the top etc.. Again the DVD player I have can switch off Macrovision - made a huge difference.
There is a way to avoid Crapovision; perform a search and you'll fine it. It's all about a switch ( if i remember well it is the AGC).

What is your dvd player?

Does it have a RGB output, scaling features and a progressive scan output?

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I also have to chime in here and say the 1031Q is an excelente projector for firstt time FP Home Theater.

I have one with new CRT's and it simply just looks stunning.

I am running it with a DWIN line doubler and it makes a world of differance. I have seen other CRT units that are in the same NEW price range comapired to these sonys and I must say I think the SONY's are king. Problablaly because I one one :D

Inany cas eif you get a 1031Q, get a line doubler. With most CRT PJ's its a wise choice to get at least a doubler to smooth the scan lines and operate at full resolution.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This projector is up for grabs if anyone wants it. Just cover the cost of shipping which I just estimated at around $75 Fed-X 2nd to the east coast. I'll make no claims to the condition of the projector as I have not had an opportunity to test it. First come, first serve. Post response here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Eldridge
This projector is up for grabs if anyone wants it. Just cover the cost of shipping which I just estimated at around $75 Fed-X 2nd to the east coast. I'll make no claims to the condition of the projector as I have not had an opportunity to test it. First come, first serve. Post response here.
I would love to have it!

[email protected]

·
Registered
125 Posts
dcmicrobe -

I'll put my two cents in and tell you that if the unit is working great, if not, it is very easily servicible - I have not tech background and recently did an entire tube swap on mine while it was inverted and mounted on the ceiling. Get the sony service manuual - very useful and the folks here on the forum are a great help. Parts should also be readily available from Curte Palm or Eric at Projection Systems (projectorspecs.com).

I run all my sources thru a Crystal Image Video processor set to 540p on an 88" 16:9 screen and the image is stunning, and knowing how inexpensively I got their is gives the experience an even better feeling! I also run a Hughes HD sat/terrestrial tuner thru the vga pass thru on the CI and the 1080I is spectacular. (p.s. you must convert the component video from the sat tuner to rgb using a transcoder).

Anyway, congratulations and good luck with the unit!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimnahas
dcmicrobe -

I'll put my two cents in and tell you that if the unit is working great, if not, it is very easily servicible - I have not tech background and recently did an entire tube swap on mine while it was inverted and mounted on the ceiling. Get the sony service manuual - very useful and the folks here on the forum are a great help. Parts should also be readily available from Curte Palm or Eric at Projection Systems (projectorspecs.com).

I run all my sources thru a Crystal Image Video processor set to 540p on an 88" 16:9 screen and the image is stunning, and knowing how inexpensively I got their is gives the experience an even better feeling! I also run a Hughes HD sat/terrestrial tuner thru the vga pass thru on the CI and the 1080I is spectacular. (p.s. you must convert the component video from the sat tuner to rgb using a transcoder).

Anyway, congratulations and good luck with the unit!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.