AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace an old NEC projector in my secondary home theater (have a Sony G70 in the media room) with something along the lines of a good used Sony 1271 or 1272. Can anyone in the forum with extensive experiencing in setting up both models tell me if there is really any significant difference in the projected image quality between the 1271 and the 1272. It is my understanding the 1272 is a little more flexible with the point convergence adjustment (something like 30 points vs. only 9 on the 1271) and the 1272 is rated at slightly higher light output. The higher supported scanning rates for the 1272 will make no difference for display 1080i HDTV and the 7" CRTs and optics actual resolution limit for either projector models fall short of the number of lines the electronics in either model can support.

One final question, I have found an online site where I can download a copy of the 1272 service manual (for $10). Do anyone know if the 1271 is close enough the circuit details for this manual to also be applicable to the 1271? I have already downloaded free copies of the setup and owners manuals.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I don't know about the specific differences, but I do know that both manuals are available for free download at crtcinema.com and other various places. Save ya some $$$.

Cheers

Andrew B.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This has come up before

check this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=195501

1271 is quieter due to it's speed controlled fans and larger intake vents in front of power supply. 1272 (and 1252) have newer/superior HD8 lenses & new technology tubes. Image quality is very similiar though and varies more with tube wear than differences between models compliments of

COBRA

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CTRCinema only has the installation and operators manuals for download, not the service manuals. Also their web page showing the projectors spec. lists the 1271 as having 9 point convergence while the 1272 is listed as having 21 point convergence. However, in checking installation manual for the 1271 (that also covers the 1251) I found that the 1271 does in fact have 21 point convergence like the 1272 (the 1251 has only 9 points).

So the bottom line from the comments posted so far is the 1272 uses a little better CRTs and Lens than the 1271 but the difference the actual projected image quality is marginal.

Any more opinions?

Ron Jones

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Jones
However, in checking installation manual for the 1271 (that also covers the 1251) I found that the 1271 does in fact have 21 point convergence like the 1272 (the 1251 has only 9 points).

So the bottom line from the comments posted so far is the 1272 uses a little better CRTs and Lens than the 1271 but the difference the actual projected image quality is marginal.

Any more opinions?

Ron Jones
thats right the 1251 has 9points

1271/1272 have 21points other than what has already been stated all produce similar images

service manual for 1272

is here
http://beamer.xs4all.nl/Documents.htm

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ron, having owned both at the same time, i can seriously say that the image difference is marginal.

The 1271 is much quieter, which may be a factor for you, but the 1272 I had was noticably brighter than the 1271, although this was most probably due to the fact that the 1271 had moderate wear as opposed to the 1272 which was virginal.

Go for the unit with the least wear, or choose based on the quietness issue, if that will affect your viewing.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gatherer

The link you provided for the 1272 service manual is not working. I have decided to go with a 1271 (fround one locally for sale with 2100 hours of use for $750 and no burn-in on the CRTs). Does anyone know if the service manual for the 1272 is useable with the 1271 (ie., should be OK if the only differences are the specific CRT part numbers and different lens as long as the actual electronics are the same) or would the service manual for a 1251 be closer to the 1271 (haven't been able to locate a 1271 service manual). I have downloaded the setup manual that covers both the 1251 and 1271 as well as the 1271 operators manual.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I would like to see this service manual you speak of- I am only aware of the Installation manual and the Operator manual.

Cheers

Andrew B.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Ron

Are you sure you want a lesser PJ then the G70 in the other room? If you are not going to watch it that would probably be OK, but if you do watch the picture will not be as sharp, and you may find yourself unhappy with it.

Deron

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Deron -

I solved the problem of living with a 1271 while also having a G70 in the house by applying a large sticker to the rear of the 1271 that say "my other projector is a G70".

I do use the G70 for watching movies or other serious viewing. The 1271 will be replacing a 15 year old NEC data grade projector and will be used in my family room in conjunction with a 78 inch high gain screen. The 1271 is more than adequate for casual view of line doubled Directv standard definition programs and the run of mill OTA network sitcoms. I'll continue to use the G70 in my dedicated home theater room for viewing HDTV movies and such.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
1 awesome projector, and 1 elite projector....man you are my new hero.

brickie

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
As far as the Service manuals go, you are much better off getting the 1271 Manual. The 1272 manual is just an addendum to the 1271 manual and is mainly updated circuit diagrams with very little (if any) adjustment information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.