AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get the focus on the lenses; however, on all of the R, G, & B's, I could not get this H pattern as described in the manual. I did not see the H as separate tiny boxes but only as a slightly blurred line or lines forming the H. The PJ was about 9-10 feet from the screen. Is that a major concern or problem? Video images from my DVD seem fine though.

Also, I want to check the CRT's for burns. How?

·
Registered
22 Posts
A distance of 9-10 feet from the screen shouldn't be a problem. Mine is 128".

I'm not sure about the manual that you have but my manual shows a different H pattern than what is truly projected. I had to go through the test patterns a few times to make sure that I had the H pattern it showed. When focusing are you adjusting the center focus then the corner focus and then back to the center focus again?

The best way to check for burn is to remove the lens and look directly at the crt face. However, if you don't want to do that then find a completely white scene and see if there are any color differences.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, what type of an H pattern were you getting? When taking off the lenses, is it just a matter of removing screws?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The manual showed the H's with a separation between them. In the actual pattern they are right beside each other. Now that I think about it I suppose if the pattern were out of focus it would look like indistinct lines.

The problem with removing the lenses is the PA board that is below (or above) them. If you do remove the lenses make sure you unplug, then hold down the off button for about 5 seconds. This dissipates the charge. Then to make absolutely sure, leave the pj sitting unplugged overnight.

However, I'm not sure I would do that just to check for burn. I recently did it but mostly to clean the lens. Projecting a pure white image is the best way and also you could just shine a flashlight through the lens to check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I have my projector shooting the test H pattern, there is just a little space between the H's. My projector has only 1100 hours on it projected on a 106" screen. Clear and very readable H's, but very close to each other.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The appearance of the H is very dependent on 2 things:

*The value you set for your H and V SIZE while in the TEST mode (not to be confused with the RGB SIZE). If you select the GREEN gun when adjusting, it will expand all 3 colors together (white). The greater you make the H value, the easier it is to see gaps up & down, higher V value will increase the space between each H.

*The scan rate. If you have an input active when going into TEST mode, the test patterns will match the scan rate of the input. An S-video or composite input will result in a low scan rate (15khz) which results in larger gaps between scan lines. This make the H look like the dot pattern in the manual. With no active input the pj will default to a line-doubled scan rate and the gaps will get smaller.

Hope this helps on the H issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.