AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first projector (thanks Donnie) and I have a long list of questions. They may seem kind of dumb but I will ask anyway. Thanks.

-Does anyone have a manual on this one?

-I did a basic setup and the screen size is around 68 inches. Is there any way to make the picture larger (100"ish)? Would it need more that a 13 foot throw distance?

-There is a weird rainbow that is cast right under the picture that seems to be reflecting off of some sort of internal fluid (coolant?). The rainbow even ripples whenever I bump the projector. What could this be and is it bad?

-I don't hear any fans, but it did not get hot after an hour of running. Does this sound good.

-Can I harm the crts if I crank up the picture brightness, and watch widescreen movies?

-Could I connect a DVD with a component output (3 cables) into a RGB input (5 cables)?

I think that these are the main questions for now. Obviously I am a greenhorn to this. Thanks again

Dcmicrobe

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
dcmicrobe ,

I thought you got a Sony 103X series PJ from Donnie ?

You certainly can have a larger image than 68 inches diagonal . Most of these smaller Sony units are designed for a 60x80 4:3 image [ 100 inch diagonal ] - If it is a VPH-722Q then it may be set for a 72 inch diagonal image from the factory . By having the projector [ front of center lens ] about 120 inches away from the screen/wall you should obtain the best focus and brightness balance .

Do not push the brightness to the maximum as it will certainly decrease the tube [crt] life .

The rainbow that you are seeing is from the liquid inside - you have air pockets in the liquid which usually happens when the projector is moved around too much [ like from shipping ]. You can adjust away from this by shifting the convergence/image grid higher or lower depending upon if the projector is inverted or not .

You can watch 16:9 Anamorphic DVDs with no problems , you can actually converge your image to a 16:9 aspect ratio if you wish . For this small unit a 45x80 16:9 Aspect Ratio should work well .

Try www.projectorspecs.com for a downloadable manual or just some pointers on how to set up your projector [ some good hints can be found there ] . There is nothing there on the VPH-722Q , sorry :( .

You can use the RGB input on the projector but it may take a special cable , just passing the component outputs directly to the RGB input will not work as I think this projector should need a composite sync to obtain a stable image via the RGB input .

Hope this helps some , there are others here that know more [ Curt Palme , Chuck , Tim , Mark Torre , etc ... ] .

There are many of us on this forum that have very similar projectors so we should be able to help you through this ;) .

Best of Luck ,

Jason Berg

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Apparently the 103x was not in the correct box. The original packaging had it labled as a 103x series. I did pull the projector out to check the physical condition, but didn't check model # on the back. That would be my fault for assuming work placed the correct projector in its correct box.

dcmicrobe,

If its not working out I'd be willing to split the $40 I charged you to ship it. Let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What actually happened was there was a 722q in a 1031 box. It was pretty funny because I printed out the manual and just sat there hopelessly looking for certain knobs and buttons that just weren't there. It seems like the major difference is that the 722 will not accept a line doubled image (one less peace of equipment that I would have learn how to use right now).

To set up the projector for a 100" picture, will it be the same procedure as adjusting the spacers for a 1030q?

Is there any practical way to utilize the RGB input on this projector (all I want to do is use a VCR and a DVD player)?

Thanks again Donnie for everything. This is a really cool projector.

:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 722 is a great projector for the money. I just sold mine along with the vpr 722 switcher, long ass cable, and a stack of factory manuals.

If you still need manuals I ask $10 to copy and ship them out.

Mine was setup to use a 68 inch screen and worked great. Focusing can take time and mine took nearly 2 hours and alot of tweaking to get it right. One tip, use a plastic screwdriver! The magnetic field from metal ones had a few adjustments walk on me when I took the tool out. It took some time to realize that until I watched the test pattern as I started to approach the adjustment pots with the tool and BINGO! they would move before I even turned them.

My screen was a 4x8 sheet of white, reflective material from home depot. I then shined the projector on the material and figured out the best size image...a four foot high screen works out to approx. 68 inches diagonal. The screen was then cut to fit the image. I then used a very light gray, high gloss rustoleum paint. I mounted this on a frame after glueing the material to a 3/8 sheet of flakeboard. The light gray gives me a bit more contrast. The screen was then hung on the wall like a picture frame.

My new projector is a Sony 1251 with 2900 hours on it, bought on Ebay for $500. I drove for an hour to pick it up to save the $200 shipping fee. The former owner didnt have a clue about it, he just bought it at an auction. I intend to buy a 120 incher, 16x9.

nuff rambling!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.