AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which scalers do you recommend with this PJ. I know everybody says that Faroudja DVP-5000 but I think its too expensive. What other scalers should I consider.

Thanks,

Miikka

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I second a SDI'ed player! The RP82 SDI'ed or Denon 1600 SDI'ed is an impressive performer.

I also suggest a barebones htpc with MP-1 modded Radeon 9500 or better and an Immersive Holo3Dgraph card (with Faroudja FLI2200 de-interlacing) or the newer H3D II (FLI2300). I'd even go as far as sourcing the parts used and use a 1 Ghz Celeron pc.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
how about a old but still a great faroudja 400

XANATOS

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Or a Lumagen pro with SDI- tasty!

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I am going to post a PM I received from a fellow AVSer about SDI. He really nailed the qualities of SDI. He was leaning towards a Sony 9000ES he had borrowed from a friend. I suggested a SDI modded player...

"I got my XP50 yesterday and watched some Superbit Fifth Element.

My hand was constantly on the pause & rewind button.

I was not prepared for how great the improvement was -> incredible !!!

Greatly increased contrast, depth, punch, tremendous detail, shadow details, etc.

This is my xxxx's best friend ... I cannot rave enough.

People who don't have this stuff just don't know what they're missing."

If that doesn't wet one's appetite for SDI...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just got an HD Leeza for my G90. DVD via SDI looks great. It also properly deinterlaces 1080i. The Holo3D II does not properly deinterlace 1080i. 1080p on the G90 looks great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
howdydoody,

What do mean "the Holo3D II does not properly deinterlace 1080i"? Would you please be a little more specific. I am using it with the ATI 9800 in 1080i for Sat HD and DVD, it looks fine to me. I want to know your experience and I can compare to my setup.

·
Registered
764 Posts
He means that the H3DII does only bob & weave for 1080I->1080p and not a 3:2 pulldown telecine. In fast motion scenes there will be jaggies on the H3DII. HD Leeza, Faroudja 5000 and MacLaren are the only choices today for proper 1080i->1080p that I know of.

Pablo

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
McLaren does not do proper 1080i either. It uses a sil504 for de-interlacing and just scales 1080i source.

I would suggest for SD material an SDI VisionPro would be a fantastic affordable option. There is at least one guy in the UK with a Barco Cine9 who has this combo and seems to love it.

Gordon

Lumagen distribution UK

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also it is impossible to do a decent HD color calibration with the HoloII. Somethings is really wrong there.

Apart from that we came to a conclusion that when using the HoloII to deinterlace 1080i, a lot of detail is lost (resulting is less depth in the picture) and several artifacts are introduced (!) to the picture.

Tested on a calibrated Cine9 with JVC D-VHS showing a Discovery HD broadcast.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The Holod 3D2/HDaux takes each field to 540p then scales to 1080p from a 1080i source. The MIT MVS-500 is also an option. The specs state that it does 3:2 inverse telecine and 3D motion adaptive compensation on 1080i sources. I have one on order to try.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I use an HTPC and MP-1 modded card and have never looked back. I'd also love a good 1080p solution, but I'm not aware of one. Leeza still seems lacking, plus I seem to recall that it downconverts before upconverting to 1080p, thereby losing some information in the process.

If that's incorrect, please someone jump in and correct me. While we're at it, what device de-interlaces directly from 1080i to 1080p without downconverting?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Ted,

I understand that the HD Leeza does not downconvert. The MIT device is reported to do no downconversion either. I understand SD scaling on the Leeza has some problems but the 1080i to 1080p is reported to look great. I also understand that the MIT unit uses the same chip as the HD Leeza and also does proper 1080i deinterlacing. I'm keeping my MP-1 Radeon and HTPC for DVD playback and plan to try the MIT unit with only 1080i, using component outs to the MP-5 transcoder.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
John,

Thanks for that info! What's the street price on the Mits relative to the Leeza?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Art,

I figured I'll show up when you're serving food! ;)

If I wasn't out of town I'd have been there.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Ted,

I believe the MSRP is $1950 for the MIT. Because the price is so low, I thought I would at least try it out.

My good friend and ace calibrator Terry F tried to tempt me with a G90 the other day and although not succesful he, and now Art-Damn you, planted a very large seed. Or should I say stacked seed?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Fraser
McLaren does not do proper 1080i either. It uses a sil504 for de-interlacing and just scales 1080i source.

I would suggest for SD material an SDI VisionPro would be a fantastic affordable option. There is at least one guy in the UK with a Barco Cine9 who has this combo and seems to love it.

Gordon

Lumagen distribution UK
TMA does line doubling first (no motion adoptive de-interlacing however), and then scale it to any resolution up to 2048 lines (which is total overkill IMHO , just because their old CEO has Cine9).

Gordon, this with Cine 9 looks like (another) huge overkill to me. Who's the one if no secret? Like you'd put Fiat engine into Ferrari (and please do not tell me it is Fiat anyway)

Pedro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.