AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Chris Dallas, I headed over to Brack electronincs to get a look at the sony 11HT, which I had yet to have the opportunity to see.

I saw it on what must've been 7-8ft wide 16x9 screen, matte white. The movie playing was Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, on a progressive scan DVD player, which I believe was a denon, but have forgotten at the moment. My friend and I were on a couch about 10ft or more back. The room was moderatly dark, with only a small amount of ambient light.

It is bright! Even with the lights fully on, most of the scenes in the movie were well lit and easily visible. It is also very sharp running in its full panel mode, as that is the only way I saw it. The colour was fantastic, as per most LCD projectors. All the colours were rich, vibrant and saturated. I liked how this unit produced red, line on Darth Mauls face. I have heard that this is a problem for some DLPs (but thisis not a comparison, so I will stop there).

From my distance, the screen door was neglible, exept on large patches of the same colour..but even then, it wasn't so bad. However, this may be because of my background with VGA projectors.

The only thing that I found was a problem, and the reason why I will not by this projector, is the contrast and the black level.

In bright to not so bright scenes, this projector is amazing. However, once the lights start to dim, the image doesn't. It remains a greyish tinge that I am so familiar with my VGA Sharp XV-s55u. In fact, I came home to watch the same movie on mine, and the contrast appeared to be nearly the same.

For instance, on Darth Maul, it was difficult to differentiate the layers of his cloak, which could be easily scene on the rear projection CRT they had in the next room.

The movie was 2.35, and so there were very small bars on the top an bottom. Those bars were grey, and easily distinguished from the rest of the screen. I turned the brightness and contrast down to 0 for both, and yet the grey illumination remained.

I cannot imagine what the 10HT must be like.

It also had 1 dead pixel, on the lower right of the screen. It was blue. In most scenes, not a problem. On any bright scenes, it would make me wonder why I put 11K dollars into it. Lucky for me, my VGA has such little pixels that none have blown yet.

If you don't own a projector, this could be a great starting unit. But if you are "black a holic", wanting contrast and low absolute black level, this isn't the place to spend your $11,000 CDN. The resolution and colours are inticing, but for me, not worth the upgrade.

Even though I am extremely sensitive to the rainbow effect, I would love to see the new sharp unit, the Z9000, as a comparsion.

Well, any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
The only thing that I found was a problem, and the reason why I will not by this projector, is the contrast and the black level.
You should see a 10HT or 11HT on a Grayhawk screen before you say that so strongly. I have a 10HT that I run on a Stewart Grayhawk and the contrast and black level is fantastic. Very dark scenes look dark. The Grayhawk totally eliminates the washed out look you are describing. Bright scenes also look as they should. I believe Don Stewart used the 10HT when he designed the Grayhawk hence it is a perfect fit.

Bob

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are probably correct about the screen. However, I report only based on the set-up that I saw.

I didn't mean to imply that this is how it will be in all environments.

How much did you pay for that screen of yours?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hi David,

I'm glad you had the opportunity to check out the 11Ht...

I have to agree with you that the blacks are lacking & it is a big problem at least for me. And if that ain't a bugger I have yet another problem and that is the screen door and the 11HT makes it very clear at least in my eyes & that is annoying...more so than any rainbow that I've ever seen which is yet another problem! :)

I guess I will have to wait & see this new LCOS by Hitachi & I am still trying to locate the new Sharp 9000 because the Sharp that I had seen I got confirmation that it wasn't the 9000...argh!!

Still lurking with lot's of patience.

Chris

P.S. If you locate the Sharp in Toronto or nearby please let me know...I'd love to take a look.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris,

Did you see it at "Big Screen", the Sharp, that is?

Unfortunately, I don't think the LCOS will be able to top out the newer DLP's that are coming out, in terms of contrast/black level ALONE. In all other respects, it already does beat it out.

The new sharp sounds VERY promising, but at 14,000 dollars canadian, it is just too steep.

And, the potential of rainbow really worries me...

I think everyone should try watching black and white movies to really have the chance to see the rainbow effect. I know that that is almost hunting for it, but it is better to find and acknolwedge something, than to try and avoid it.

I would say, in the end, though, that I think all impressions given by those who have heard first from others, are biased. We go looking for problems at the get go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was the 11ht calibrated by ISF? I own the 11ht with a da-lite Matte 45x80 screen. I also noticed this gray haze in low light conditions before properly calibrated. The shawdow detail was much improved but black level below 20 IRE could not be helped. Would the grayhawk improve this?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Mendicino
I would say, in the end, though, that I think all impressions given by those who have heard first from others, are biased. We go looking for problems at the get go.
It's the better way. Better than finding the problems after the money was paid!

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The projector was most likely not calibrated at all other than simple menu adjustments. However, to test of rblack level, I turned the brightness and contrast all the way down, each one alone and each up on their own. In the end...with brightness all the way down, as you said, nothing could be done about the minimum black level.

Li On,

You are absolutely correct. However, it makes me feel, now that in the end, I can never be TRULY content with a purchase ever again. There will always be something not quite right.

Audio, for me is different. So long as I don't hear a hiss when the volume is up loud, and I have enough bass to bother the neighbours, I couldn't care about anything else. However, with the projectors, these are flaws that will be constantly present.

However, despite my fear of reminint rainbows on the Sharp z9000, I look forward to seeing it in action. However, its rather steep cost here in Canada will put ot a halt any plan of purchasing that I had.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Mendicino
Audio, for me is different. So long as I don't hear a hiss when the volume is up loud, and I have enough bass to bother the neighbours, I couldn't care about anything else. However, with the projectors, these are flaws that will be constantly present.

However, despite my fear of reminint rainbows on the Sharp z9000, I look forward to seeing it in action. However, its rather steep cost here in Canada will put ot a halt any plan of purchasing that I had.
You scare me! That's not funny anymore...

I don't care about sound system (though I use tube power-amp for front channels and a Sony E9000ES/N9000ES combo with the 5-channels power-amp driving only the surround!).

I have to be super picky with the image on the screen because I sit only 6.5' from a 5.5' wide screen!

I HATE all 1-chips DLP projectors (including the NEC LT-150 and the Sharp 9000) I saw and I don't even see rainbow!

Check the motion artifacts which are dithering and crosshatching I keep talking about on every DLP in my posts here in the past few months.

If you're really like me, stay away from ANY current or COMING DLP projectors. Look somewhere else.

regards,

Li On

PS: A forum number visited me last weekend with his LT-150. After I show off my CRT projector picture, we switched to the LT-150. We both laught with the UGLY motion artifacts (dithering and crosshatching). And it was NOT funny! :(

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know..despite my continual desire for a digital display..I slowly find myself looking at CRT....strange..but true..I guess I will ahve to wait till I am out of school, in my profession, and have my own house before I can convince my father to put one of those beasts on the ceiling...

Dila???hmmm...

Scary? Don't know about that...many of use are content with what we have. I am running a VGA, 600 lumen sharp...for me, I haven't found anything yet to really warrent another 8-10K.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
What about the JVC DLA-G15U D-ILA ?

I have read several reviews, and at around 9000$ I guess it can compete on price with CRTs...

- no screendoor

- no rainbow

- bright enough to avoid the need of total darknees

- high contrast

wouldn't that be good enough to compete with a CRT?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sure would be, but I believe your pricing is WAY off. I had read that this thing was going to be closer to 20K US then 10...

I am also aware that this is simply just a G15 that has been calibrated and modified...something that can be done for much less than the premium they are charging.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.