AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have enjoyed following this forum but am posting for the first time. I am installing a home theater in my attic and have decided on the Sony VPL-VW600es as my projector with a 2.35:1 ratio screen. I had initially planned on using an anamorphic lens (probably Panamorph UH 480), but the I read where Sony lens memory feature suggests that I will not need the lens.

Question 1: How good is the lens memory feature? I will use the projector mostly in 16:9 for regular tv and sports, but also really enjoy the big screen for movies so I will set it up for a 2.35 screen. Would I be better served by using the lens or is the Sony lens memory adequate?

Question 2: I had originally contemplated using a curved screen (Stewart Cine-W 130" or 138" diagonal in 2.35, Studio Tek 130) as I understood that it would help with pin cushion distortion. But is a curved screen necessary (or even desirable) if I am using the lens memory feature for 2.35 rather than an actual anamorphic lens?

Question 3: While the room is decent sized (approximately 19'x19"), I have a rather low ceiling (87"). That is just the way it is and I cannot change that. Consequently, I had also been considering a Screen Innovations Zero Edge (Pure White 1.3 since I will be able to control light extremely well). I am considering Zero Edge as a way to conserve vertical space. How good is that screen or should I also consider the Stewart Sabre as opposed to another Stewart? Does anyone have experience with the Sabre, especially in compared to the SI? I am aware that the Cine-W also has a velux band that adds to the height and width.

Question 4: Does anyone know if the Sony FMP-X1 will work as a streaming device with anything other than Sony's streaming service? In particular, can it access Netflix 4K streaming service? (Sony being Sony, I suspect the answer is no, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

Any advice would be much appreciated. I want to get this right I also already have a high-end audio system along with it (Classe SSP-800, Pass Labs XA100.5 amps and Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 8 speakers with Wilson Audio Watch 2 center channel along with other comparable components).

Thanks in advance for your advice and expertise.

jay

·
Registered
21,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay d  /t/1512435/sony-vpl-600es-anamorphic-lens-and-ideal-screen#post_24224591

Hi. I have enjoyed following this forum but am posting for the first time. I am installing a home theater in my attic and have decided on the Sony VPL-VW600es as my projector with a 2.35:1 ratio screen. I had initially planned on using an anamorphic lens (probably Panamorph UH 480), but the I read where Sony lens memory feature suggests that I will not need the lens.

Question 1: How good is the lens memory feature? I will use the projector mostly in 16:9 for regular tv and sports, but also really enjoy the big screen for movies so I will set it up for a 2.35 screen. Would I be better served by using the lens or is the Sony lens memory adequate?

Question 2: I had originally contemplated using a curved screen (Stewart Cine-W 130" or 138" diagonal in 2.35, Studio Tek 130) as I understood that it would help with pin cushion distortion. But is a curved screen necessary (or even desirable) if I am using the lens memory feature for 2.35 rather than an actual anamorphic lens?

Question 3: While the room is decent sized (approximately 19'x19"), I have a rather low ceiling (87"). That is just the way it is and I cannot change that. Consequently, I had also been considering a Screen Innovations Zero Edge (Pure White 1.3 since I will be able to control light extremely well). I am considering Zero Edge as a way to conserve vertical space. How good is that screen or should I also consider the Stewart Sabre as opposed to another Stewart? Does anyone have experience with the Sabre, especially in compared to the SI? I am aware that the Cine-W also has a velux band that adds to the height and width.

Question 4: Does anyone know if the Sony FMP-X1 will work as a streaming device with anything other than Sony's streaming service? In particular, can it access Netflix 4K streaming service? (Sony being Sony, I suspect the answer is no, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

Any advice would be much appreciated. I want to get this right I also already have a high-end audio system along with it (Classe SSP-800, Pass Labs XA100.5 amps and Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 8 speakers with Wilson Audio Watch 2 center channel along with other comparable components).

Thanks in advance for your advice and expertise.

jay

Question 1. You are contemplating using the zoom method for filling your screen rather than using an a vertical electronic stretch and an optical horizontal stretch. The sony lens memory is just away of automating that process. that process can be done manually with the remote control, zooming the picture and using lens shift. .Choosing between the two, most here would use the zoom method over using that panamorph but not all. The Sony automation feature, having a zoom and shift memory works fairly well but occasionally you might have to use the remote to dial in a position. There tend to be a small amount of imprecision that goes on due to the mechanics of the lens. Its no big deal though and considering your infrequent use of the wide screen it should not be a very big deal. Also wide screen movies tend to vary between 2.35 and 2.40 and anything in between, so that might mean a touch up using the remote anyway. My advice. Forget the anamorphic.

Question 2. No anamorphic, you don't need a curved screen.

Question 3. I'll pass on that and let others jump in.

Question 4. The answer is NO. It works just with the Sony download service which is not streaming.

·
Registered
19,826 Posts

Quote:

You might ask for some screen samples. The Sabre could be an option. So would the Da Lite UTB frame with the HD Pro. material. If you are squeezing the last inch out of the screen size, I hope you are covering the ceiling at the screen with something black and non reflective. Otherwise, the regular fixed frames are only 3 1/2 " wide ( or so ) anyway ).

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
If using an A-lens, I would use a screen with a velvet covered border. If using a Zero Edge type screen, then you need to be careful with throw distance. You want a long throw to minimize the pincushion. With a Zero Edge type of screen this becomes even more of a factor.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
That is the right stuff. People babble about what they use, Black velvet from some shop but if you can afford it, and it really is not expensive for a 2 x 2 ft sheet and a roll of tape for the grid, it is the best way to go for light absorption.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not my intention to hijack the thread, but I am thinking of getting this projector and have determined the max screen size I can do is a 16:9 110". I have a totally light controlled room which will be painted a dark color. So far I have been looking at the Stewart Cima Neve, any reason to not get this screen / projector combo? Open to suggestions and budget is not a real issue.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Stewart does not state a minimum throw ratio for that fabric. Since the gain is so low, the closest throw on the Sony which is something like 1.37 times the screen width should not present any hotspotting issues. Going linger would increase the contrast but somewhat decrease the brightness. If 3D is something you will do some of, the closest throw option, say picking 1.4 for safety) would give you the brightest picture for 3D. Any throw should be fine for 2 D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is too early to tell whether the Netflix 4k app will be added to the Sony 4k media streamer. The motorized lens memory works fantastic

·
Registered
31,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal4050  /t/1512435/sony-vpl-600es-anamorphic-lens-and-ideal-screen#post_24248984

It is too early to tell whether the Netflix 4k app will be added to the Sony 4k media streamer. The motorized lens memory works fantastic

Not too early. From what I have been told, it will not be added, but Sony will be bringing out devices that will allow the Sony 4K projectors to get the Netflix 4K content.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts