AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Sony VPL-CX1 and got it for $1850 from www.electrified.com plus $30 shipping for 3 business day delivery (ground). It's very similar to the VPL-CS3 except that mine is XGA and dimmer, and the CS3 is SVGA and brighter. I like the $300 2000 hr UHP bulb (cooler, less noise than the metal halide and keep its brightness throughout its life). I have the CX1 projected from 14 ft. from a wall shelf 53" off the floor and I sit right below it. There is 36 db of fan noise which is noticeable before movie start but not distracting afterwards. The colors are very beautiful. Black is more dark gray due to the only 200:1 contrast ratio. I have to dim my lights due to only 550 lumens on mine. CS3 has 700 lumens. I chose the XGA version to lessen the screen door effect as I sit about 12 feet from my screen. There is no screen door effect until I get within 6 ft. from screen. I'm projecting from a Toshiba interlaced DVD via 50 ft. Belkin Silver Series S-video cable ($27 shipped from www.CDW.com) which may degrade the image somewhat due to length. I had to use this length due to my stereo and RPTV are up in front of the room so I had to run the wire all the way around and to the back of the room for the projector. My screen covers my stereo and DVD equipment but the remote can go through my homemade screen. I feel this is a great starter projector. You can find the CS3 for about the same price since it's a brighter projector. My screen is homemade 9ftX5ft matte white duck cloth from Walmart for $14 stretched on 4 10' wooden rods (2 o top and 2 on bottom sandwhiching the cloth using staples onto one rod and then nailing the 2 together. I also bought and kept a Bretford 70X70 matte white 1.1 gain manual pull down screen ($97 shipped from www.officeworld.com) and the colors are good but not as bright or as big as my homemade one :) I personally think the CX1 is a better buy between the 2 as you can always dim the light (unless there are a lot of windows) but you can't increase the resolution easily which may mean more screen door effect at 12 feet sitting distance. You can always reduce the image size with the zoom feature to lessen the screen door effect. Both projector will accept Svideo, composite, VGA, and component (need $70 VGA to component cable). HTPC will look much better than interlaced DVD player due to the progressive image, but I didn't want to deal with the hassles (boot up, crashes, lack of remote, etc.) Both Sony's will do 16:9 (4:3 native panel so you'll still get letterboxing but not noticeable in a darken room especially if there is black masking around the screen), but the image is much better for DVDs. You can buy the Infocus 425z for about $1500 but it's DLP (instead of LCD like the Sony), 900 lumens, 400:1 contrast, similar inputs and image quality, 1000 hr. metal halide ($400 each which may dim with time--lumens decrease to half at 500 hours), and only 2 year warranty (compared to Sony's 3). There are other great deals with the NEC LT150 (DLP, XGA, 800 lumens, no zoom (so placement and screen size are more critical), 800:1 contrast (better blacks and shadows), fav. reviews from this forum members) for $2700 (DELL reported had a misprint at $1800 which some were able to confirm orders on) from www.avscience.com. DLP in general has a spinning color wheel and single chip TI chip for imagery with better contrast, less saturated colors, hotter whites, less screen-door, and shorter-life bulb compared to LCD equivalent . There were professional reviews on the CS1 (older, 600 lumens, SVGA), CX1, and CS3 around if you look hard enough (most of the reviews are from Europe). All reviews were favorable due to their lower prices and good imaging. They are better suited for HT due to not so bright lumens. Other favorable reviews were the Canon LV5100 (SVGA, LCD, 700 lumens, component built-in (no adapter needed), and zoom), Epson Powerlite 50c (SVGA, LCD, 1000 lumens, zoom), and Mitsubishi SA51 (SVGA, LCD, 1000 lumens, zoom) in the $2000 class of projectors. Others will point out weaknesses in each of the forementioned projectors, but they probably spent more on their choice of projectors. You get what you pay for. For $1850 I like mine a lot :) Check www.projectorcentral.com for alot of specs of alot of projectors including user and pro reviews. Use www.streetprices.com, www.pricegrabber.com, www.cnet.com, www.pricewatch.com for a few price comparison sites. Good luck with your choice and thanks for reading my post.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone tried this projector??

I have collected a great deal of info on this

Sony-projector, but I have never seen a review.

- JWP

Texts>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.