Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

Bit sick and tired of second-hand projectors, so I am looking at the new Sony VPL-CS4 - 800X600.

Any comments on this unit people? Would really like to know if it is any use for home theatre...

Tweakability?

Thanks

Heath Young

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would think twice about it. My main reason for saying this is contrast ratio.

Sony does not publish contrast ratios for these units, but I have found reviews that list it at 66:1 to 130:1, out of the box. The CS4 may be better, I couldn't find anything that listed it specifically. Since it uses the same 0.7" LCD panels, I suspect it is similar. The UHP lamp that these units use is skewed towards blue and on the "high" color setting has a color temperature as high as 11000K! Some of these shortcomings may be "tweaked" for improvement, for example, I use a red color correcting filter on my projector and a grey screen. The red filter blocks the excessive blue light component and the grey screen absorbs some of the light to give a better apparent contrast ratio. With these tweaks I would estimate that the contrast ratio can be improved to the 200:1 range.

Don't be intimidated by all this techno-babble, there are some very positve features; good vivid colors (especially when corrected and calibrated), low noise, good lamp life, low initial cost, good three year warranty.

I have used a similar VPL-CS1 for nearly two years and have been happy watching and tweaking it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Heath,

Stay away from the VPL-CS4 for home theater.... It is a great little unit if you are moving up from overheads to powerpoints. But for home theater there are better around the same price range.

Just a note on the warranty.... Sony use to have a 3 year warranty, after the first of the year they dropped to 2 years on new purchases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought the cs4, (pre ae-100 craze) and perhaps ignorance is bliss - but I am quite happy with it. Colors are bright and sharp, it's small and quiet. In Canada, the warranty is 3 years, and even the bulb has a pro-rated warranty, which is the only manufacturer I know that does this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah - OK... Doesn't sound all that crash hot for HT then...

Thanks guys... I will keep on looking...

Cheers

Heath Young

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.