AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
I have been using a borrowed CS5 for the last couple of weeks. After reading the forums for over 2 years and getting real close to purchasing my own, this was my 1st in home experience. The CS5 is the VGA version of the XGA CX5. I believe all of the other specs are the same.

I have it projecting onto a sheet with a "too long 75' " S-video cable. I think it looks fine and has me bumping up my timetable on my own purchase (HS10). After reading all of the tweak this and that threads for years, I found myself looking for the problems. I do see some of them, but once the movie starts, I am into it. At night sometimes the blacks look black and sometimes they look a little lighter. A slight defocus and I see no screen door on a 68" wide image from sitting 9' away.

Definitely bright enough to watch TV during the day in a non-light controlled room. That is in wide mode/low mode with a sheet.

The fan is a little loud. I do hear it. The projector is also sitting on the back of my couch next to my head, so that doesn't help.

If watching this under all of the worst conditions--sheet/no masking/light walls/white ceiling/s-video cable/no progressive old cheapy DVD player/Bad cable signal through a TiVO/no tweaks or calibration/VGA projector/ is what I can expect, then I am ready to buy.

I have seen many projector demos in stores across the country. The CS5 looks better than most of the RPTV I have seen set up in stores.

· Registered
19 Posts
One thing to keep in mind about the CX5 is that it's geared up for mobile presentation use -- no dedicated component inputs, 4:3 format, no way for easy ceiling mounting, etc. Between the CX5 and the HS-10, I'd get the latter simply because it's more ht "friendly" (plus it's a native widescreen format).

That being said, we have a CX5 at work, and it puts out a truly lovely picture (using a laptop DVD drive, the 15pin RGB input, and a crappy 5'x5' (?) portable screen). Also, it's small, lightweight, and very easy to set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.