AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1329 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

So; since I have one heading our direction soon I was thinking that an owners thread was in place!

The VPL-GTZ380 is Sony´s new prosumer 10k lumen laser projector. Featuring red and blue native lasers plus green through phosphor, this machine enables full light output @ DCI P3, meaning all the available light output can be put to use for P3 colours. Although one might have wished for full RGB lasers, this is certainly quite a step up from its predecessor, VPL-VW5000ES, both in terms of overall light output and the fact that it can maintain P3 without the use of a filter that reduces light output significantly.

I have seen the VPL-GTZ380 on two occasions, but not yet the actual production unit, so can´t wait to see this baby up and runnin´! :) We will be installing it in our soon-to-be-built new reference room on a 3,5m wide acoustical transparent screen (UltraWeave v7), hoping for some >400 nits on that particular 0.93 gain screen.

Contrast measurements - TBA - (some state about 17.000:1), we will measure ours to verify.

Will add more info on this first post as more measurements and impressions from owners becomes available.

Sonys official product page: VPL-GTZ380 4K SXRD Laser Projector - Sony Pro

MSRP: 80.000 USD / euros + 8000 USD / euros for the standard lens.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
I must have totally overlooked seeing the Retail-Pricing on it ???
Since we can post Retail-Cost what is that ???

Terry

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Terry
$88,000 in the USA with the Standard Lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts

Terry

Thank-You .............
I was just wondering and now thanks to you I know that what I have was Beyond-any-Doubt a Super-Duper-Bargain.

Terry

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

In Europe, the MSRP is 80.000 euros for the projector, plus 8000 for the standard lens.

Reactions: tigerhonaker

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi everyone!

Recieved my GTZ380 last week and my short-throw lens on tuesday.

I just can say: this projector is massive! :oops:

View attachment 3090229 View attachment 3090230 View attachment 3090231

I did some measurements in comparison to my previous VW5000 and my old VW1100 (in German language 😅):
View attachment 3090232

The picture quality is breathtaking! :love:

I posted some more details and photos at the german "Heimkinoverein-Forum".
Congratulations!

Accoustic noise is rated at 33 dB ~ 39 dB for the 380 vs 30dB ~ 35dB for the 5000es. Is the increase in noise noticeable in real life use (i.e. noticeably louder)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congratulations!
Thanks. 🙂

Accoustic noise is rated at 33 dB ~ 39 dB for the 380 vs 30dB ~ 35dB for the 5000es. Is the increase in noise noticeable in real life use (i.e. noticeably louder)?
I'm using an active ventilated hushbox for my GTZ (and for my VW5000 in the past).
So for me the noise-level is quite the same.
The only thing I hear are the fans from the box. 😅
But that noise is relatively quiet.

At the moment I'm searching for the best laser-setting for the SDR and HDR in combination with the madVR ENVY.
Yesterday I saw HDR-Content with 80% and a SDR-Content with 35% which worked very, very well. 😃

Beside the brightness, I must say that especially the color-performance is impressive.

·
Registered
469 Posts
@buzzart how would describe the color performance vs the 5000 when using the full DCI-P3 filter? How is the contrast with all of this extra brightness?

My unit is being shipped out soon from the mid-point (Vienna) so I hope that it won't be much longer before it's here :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The color performance is way better in my opinion. I think, that‘s because of the brightness power from the GTZ.

In addition to that the contrast is significantly better.
Overall the image looks like a huge monitor. It‘s sharp, crisp and very impressive. 😃

The only which is not that good is motionflow.
I don‘t know, but the VW5000 did a better job when setting it to „smooth low“.
If you switch the GTZ to „smooth high“ there is not much difference.
In both settings the content looks more like a soap opera. 😬
Maybe that‘s a firmware bug?! 🤔

@ViciousDelicious
I‘m looking forward to your review. 😊

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm sorry, but I can't do any contrast measurement because I don't have the necessary devices to do it. 😬
Hmm, you have a light meter? Isn't that the proper device to measure it :) (--> You measure a full white screen and a full black screen, then just give us those numbers)

·
Premium Member
7,542 Posts
Hi everyone!

It is 1cm wider and 1cm longer.

No, my screen is AT as well. 😉
Are the mounting points the same as the 5000? Hoping the existing Chief mount for the 5000 works without issue on the 380 if I ever do it... I think there was a schematic that showed those attach points were identical on both, but can't seem to find it at the moment...

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Dang, so close! The Definitive Audio in Seattle reached out to me to do the calibration on their in house unit this weekend because I guess their in house calibrator was sick. This would have given me the opportunity to check it out and provide LOTS of measurements for everyone interested. But, their in house guy is feeling better and is going to do the calibration. Oh well. I will go see it in store next week sometime, but won't be able to do any measurements.

·
Premium Member
7,542 Posts
Dang, so close! The Definitive Audio in Seattle reached out to me to do the calibration on their in house unit this weekend because I guess their in house calibrator was sick. This would have given me the opportunity to check it out and provide LOTS of measurements for everyone interested. But, their in house guy is feeling better and is going to do the calibration. Oh well. I will go see it in store next week sometime, but won't be able to do any measurements.
Gee, why wouldn't they let you do some measurements? It's not like this is a high showroom-traffic time!...

1 - 20 of 1329 Posts