Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the good things being said about the HS10, do you owners have

an issue with the noise level of the fan? Just wanted to know if any of you

find the fan loud or disruptive to your enjoyment of the movie.

I'm leaning toward the HS10 but I've got to know if the fan will be quiet enough. I've ran across some LCD/DLP pjs' that have noisy fans.

Your thoughts...thanks

jazzy

·
Registered
761 Posts
I sit almost directly below my HS10,... never heard it. I do hear it hum a bit when I turn everything off to go upstairs and to bed,... but that is a good thing:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
It´s not whisper quite, a litle bit noise, but still ok.

But my brother thought it was better then what i thought.

Had hoppe it was whisper quite, thats probably the reason I thought it was a litle bit noise.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
They originally claimed 30 db noise, but eventually admitted it was closer to 33db. I've heard a few other pj fans rated at 30db and the HS10 seemed noticeable louder (ie I think 33dc is more accurate.)

That said, it is still pretty quiet but I was a little disappointed myself, expected wisper like patric.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What if I took out the fans and replaced them with same-size higher-quality very quiet type fans (as seen at slientpc type places).

Could I use the machine without Cinema Black and be able to hear the leaves rustle (in movies with trees in) or would it simply overheat and die.

Anyone done this - on any machine, not just HS10.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Given the warning about operating above 5000 feet, I'm probably going to add a quiet external fan and perhaps ducting so that I can run it in low-power mode without overheating. External stuff wont void the warranty, and the ducting may quiet it a bit and eliminate the heat-induced shimmering... fortunately i dont care much about looks (especially with the lights off).

Quote:
Originally posted by Secant
Might work but you would be kissing your warranty goodbye with the "mod"...so it is risky in more than one way.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yesterday I built a cabinet to house my new HS10 (ceiling mount difficult as the room is on the bottom floor of a 2 story house, no cables run.)

Its basically a box with an open front, with a shelf inside to sit the pj on. I cut a large hole in the shelf to let the unit take in air from the bottom, there is no obstruction underneath at all.

There is about 50 mm (2 inches) clearance at the sides and top, and 500 mm behind.

After running for a few hours, the corner where the fan is became quite hot to touch, on the top and side of the body. Not hot enough to burn but really quite warm.

I was wondering if other HS10 owners had noticed this heat buildup too, or if my cabinet is not letting enough air flow around the body. Any takers?

On a side note, it seems that a fair amount of the HS10 fan noise actually comes from the body itself, not just from the front of the unit (ie noise of the fan penetrates the body and radiates all around rather than just at the front.) As my cabinet is 15mm MDF and sealed on all sides except the front, and as I sit next to it, when the lid is closed it is substantially quiter than it was with it in open. If the cooling is OK then its a good option for cutting down noise; build a box to enclose it on all sides except the front.

·
Registered
777 Posts
When people here are complaining about noise from the HS10, what are they comparing it to? I have had a 400Q and a VPL-VW10HT and this new HS10 is quieter! I am a little confused to why people think this is a problem. Are you guys going from CRT or RPTV. I want others to know that compared to my past experience to a Sony 400Q this thing is whisper quiet! In cinema black mode sitting directly under the projector I can forget that it is even there!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I agree, it's not bothersome to me either. It's noticeable especially in high lamp mode, but I'm sitting a few feet from it and my audio system DOES have a volume knob.

Chuck, I'd be interested in hearing how you think the Hs10 compares with the 400Q and 10HT.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
We had four different threads going on the same subject--the perceived fan noise of the Sony VPL-HS10. Since this is the hot projector at the moment, I've consolidated the four threads here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by builty
Its basically a box with an open front, with a shelf inside to sit the pj on. I cut a large hole in the shelf to let the unit take in air from the bottom, there is no obstruction underneath at all.
Builty, I just received my HS10...haven't even had a chance to power it up yet :( , but I did flip through the manual. It specifically mentions not crowding the sides and top of the projector (assuming a table top setup). Along with front venting, it must also rely on shedding heat through radiation on all sides. You might want to rethink your box.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The Widescreen reviewer said at a distance of 12" he measured >50dB! None of my PC fans are that loud. I don't know where Sony came up with their numbers but that will be a noticeable sound. As well, I watch many movies that don't always have music/explosions/etc going on all the time. Many of the most intense movie sequences have little or no sound - this is where the noise from this fan may intrude. If it's bad enough we'll have to see about upgrading it to a nice silent Panaflow or Enermax. Does anybody know if it is a standard 80mm size?

Mine's not here (I'm still trying to find a reputable US dealer to order one from?) and thus I cannot pass final judgement on how intrusive the sound will be (I just hope the reviewer's pre production unit was not the shipping fan!).

Cheers,

dagger

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've switched to the HS10 from an RPTV with no fan, so the noise is definitely noticable to me. It seems louder or at least as loud as my computer's fan. Maybe I'll get used to it?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm switching from a conventional CRT TV, so I'm used to silence. It isn't that bad but it would be nice to improve it. Any takers on the heat issue? Is it normal for the fron corner to heat up?

Tyrayb, I did spot that part of the manual too but I was thinking more in terms of not blocking the vents; could be that it does need more open air to cool the body.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes David, but for any measurement there has to be specified testing criteria/standards so that there is a reference in order to make other tests/comparisons of any value. I don't know what the standard is for loudness measurements, but if the reviewer is consistent at using 12" (that seems a good distance to me based on my PC building experiences) then we will have good data to draw comparisons from. If Sony uses 6 feet, then it will be useless if no other manufacturer uses the same standard. Based on the initial comments of HS10 owners (wish I was one) it seems that Sony is not providing a valid number for their fan rating.

Anybody yet pop the front grill off to see what size fan it is?????

dagger

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by daggerNC
Anybody yet pop the front grill off to see what size fan it is?????
It's a 92mm fan. Haven't had a peep inside yet, but this probably isn't the only fan fitted looking at the airflow from the unit & noise levels.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ive got the HS10 running side by side with a 1251 7 inch crt projector, I would say the hs10 is quieter in cinema mode but LOUDER in normal mode....thats saying something...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Enermax, Vantec and Antec make some very quiet 92mm fans. Since the fan noise is immediate when switching between Cinema and Standard mode, it sounds like the speed control is voltage based versus sensor based. Someone said that there are 2 fans? both the same size? I wonder if the exhaust fan on front is the one generating the most audible noise. With the front grill removed can the fan be accessed there or do you have to open the unit up? If its front accessible then we might be able to mod without affecting warrantee.

dagger

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.