AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to most reviews the Epson TW100H seems to have better video quality than the HS10 despite the spec numbers.

Is it correct that the Yamaha LPX-500 is essentially a Epson TW100H?

I'm very concerned with ambient light. Is the TW100H (LPX-500) really brighter than the HS10 (untweaked)?

Any opinion for this comparison is welcome.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In france TW100h/LPX500 are 80% more expensive than the HS10.

They dont really play in the same league.

But with similar prizes? Hummm I dont't know.... The TW100H has a better contrast but a lower resolution. Tough call....

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pedro.fr
In france TW100h/LPX500 are 80% more expensive than the HS10.

They dont really play in the same league.

But with similar prizes? Hummm I dont't know.... The TW100H has a better contrast but a lower resolution. Tough call....
Best to demo all 4 of them and see which gives the best value for money. Here the HS10 goes for £1999, Yamaha £3700, Epson TW100 £3500 and the Sony VW 12 for £3000. If the Epson gives a much better picture than the HS10 then its well worth paying the extra £1500, although you have to add on the costs of a screen and if you got the HS10 you could get a greyhawk/firehawk for the same price as the Epson/Yamaha, whichever screen is the best technology for LCD it would most likely make a big difference, and its something you can use in future projector upgrades. VW12 is still a good projector but the fact it doesnt have DVI or HDCP would be a good reason not to buy the VW12. I think thats the main reason why its come down in price, best projector but no DVI/HDCP with forthcoming HDTV even in europe would be a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have just got the yamaha to replace a faulty hs10 , and there are 2 big pluses re the yamaha that i have found with the limited time i have had to play with it (due to me having to recable and get another bracket sorted out)

1] reduced noise

2] RGB connectivity for set top boxes in the UK and europe.

i dont know what your location is but if you are in europe and wanted to drive your pj with the best picture from a stb then you would need to spend extra with the hs10 to convert RGB to component video.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
But do not forget, the LPX500/TW100 does not have HDCP capable DVI, which absolutely stinks because I thought for sure that was the PJ was going to go with. I guess the plus side is I found this out before I bought, so now I am back into the HS10 realm, which still isn't quite as nice as I wanted - granted, I haven't seen one so I am going strictly on the reviews here.

Sigh, if only I could win the lottery.

·
Registered
653 Posts
webloader - after you get some more viewing time with your new Yamaha, let us know about any differences with FPN or screen door. I went to a dealer who had the LPX-500 and agree with it's quieter than the Sony, but the picture had a more "coarser" look to it. It seemed to show what I believe to be FPN especially on certain scenes like panning shots of big white clouds, etc, and there is little to none with my HS10 (note that I had no control over the dealers system, etc, so the usual caveats).

thanx,

dagger

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
the lpx500 is on demo at the tweeter that's located at lake cook and waukegan around the deerfield area.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Yamaha LPX-500 is also on display at the Tweeter store on Randall Road in Geneva, IL. They were asking the full list price of $5500.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all.

I saw it today in a Tweeter.

Looked good, nothing to complain.

I wish I could compare the HS10 and the Yamaha side by side.

My biggest question is still which model is potentially brighter?

The other drawback is that I would have to order the Yamaha from Japan. Is this process reliable?

·
Registered
254 Posts
What would you have to do to order one from Japan? Interested also.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
According to published third-party measurements as well as my own impressions from a side-by-side comparison in Tokyo, the Epson/Yamaha is a bit brighter than the HS10 even without the magenta filter. With the filter, the difference in brightness is quite definitive. According to published reviews, the Epson/Yamaha does not need a CC filter to attain dead accurate colors after calibrations. And all the calibrations can be done in the user mode menus.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some more questions:

Why would I care if my projector supports HDCP?

Will I really need it in the future?

One nice feature the HS10 has is the sideshot. Does the Yamaha/Epson have it?

How much will a replacement lamp be for the Yamaha (who many hours will I get out of it)?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You may need HDCP in the future. It is still not official yet and there are other CP schemes under discussion. Currently, HDCP seems to be the contender, but I have yet to see any source material that utilizes it - anyone know of any?

I think the real question becomes, and one that I am struggling with as well, is how long do you want to keep your PJ before upgrading? If the answer is a couple of years, then you can probably get by without HDCP, but if it is three to four years, then it might be something to consider. Also, if you are looking at upgrading in the shorter horizon, how much do you want to spend on a PJ now?

This is NOT easy! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
metropole,

I couldn't receive your message, but thanks. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
As for as HDCP is concerned:

1. At some future time when HDCP is active and I had a digital source like a satalite receiver attached to a non-HDCP projector, the image would be downgraded to a non-HD picture.

2. If I used a HTPC attached to the non-HDCP projector through the DVI, could I use the HTPC to do the decoding for HDCP for the digital source?

That way in "1" above, the HTPC would act as the HDCP decoder and allow the projector to display the HD picture.

Am I all wet?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
About HDCP: theres a new breed of upscaling DVD player emerging recently with DVI fitted (like the Bravo D1 and soon new Samsung.) The Bravo appears to have some firmware issues that bypass this but basically these players are reported to be HDCP only.

Check the reports in the >5k and DVD hardware forums; these players could seriously threaten the HTPC's and for heaps cheaper (like US$250), so HDCP may be coming sooner than expected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.