AVS Forum banner

Did you have QC problems with your Sony and did you return it?

• Everything is perfect. I checked.

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I have minor issue(s). I decided to keep mine as the issue didn't bother me enough.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I returned mine for ONE replacement which was perfect.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I returned mine MORE THAN ONE time until I got one that was perfect.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I returned mine and got something else OR/returned too many times and gave up

Votes: 1 9.1%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a separate thread because if I post it in an existing thread the question will sink and I can't do a poll there either.

I got two units (the second one is about to be sent back).

1st one: uneven focus (can't see defined pixels in about 1/3 screen in various areas throughout the screen) and poor convergence on one side.
2nd one: can't be focused, focus wheel doesn't have enough travel to sharpen image, very notchy lens shift wheel impossible to make smooth adjustments, rather do it in "steps", smidge on the screen, intermittens loud high-pitched/whiny fan noise.

From what I'm reading in Sony threads A LOT of people having issues with their PJ, which I find completely inexcusable for a $2500 pj. Please reply to the poll and tell us if you have ANY problems with yours... you might have some minor ones but decided to keep it anyway. Tell us your story with your projector

·
Registered
880 Posts
Mine is overall solid, but the focus will gradually drift out a bit and need some adjustment. Although it doesn't sit on the most stable of setups and tend to think that some of the vibration from small nudges on the wall or simple the fan running could be the cause. Can't really change the setup too much with the space I have, and so i am happy

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I chose 'perfect,' but as an engineering student, my thought process is nothing is perfect, but it's well within manufacture tolerances. You should understand that designing such a thing is a game of compromises, you're always trying to reduce BOM (bill of materials) while fitting other features in, and in some cases there are give and takes between one design choice and another that have nothing to do with price. Uneven focus is a compromise between the cost of the lens and what is 'good enough,' if you want a projector with a higher quality lens, you'll have to pay more for it. The company basically looks at a market, targets a specific segment and then designs around that segment. A lot of people seem to be complaining about chromatic aberrations around the fringes of the lens, which will certainly show more the more lens shift you use. Others don't seem to understand what some of the settings are doing, and even others just don't have an understanding of the shortcomings of projectors in general (ex. black levels).
With all of that said, the high pitched fan noise would be out of tolerance, and should be fixed, probably bad bearings, which will only get worse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts