AVS Forum banner

9981 - 10000 of 14448 Posts

·
Banned
2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday2  /t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/9960#post_24817446

I don`t know about the UK, but in Germany it is about 3000€, which must not be the last price.

I found out when I connected my VW1000 with the Sony AX-100 Camcorder to display 4K-material,  that the motion enhancer is not working. Is is still the same after the upgrade?

It is the same as in Norway then, motionenhancer will not work with 4K material even after the upgrade.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The upgrade is for connectivity and really nothing else except for some changes to the RC enabling it to be much more accurately set. It allows 4K 60 in and provides the ability to play HDCP 2.2 protected material. There are a few minor changes to the software but the processing power has not be upped and the upping would have to be rather massive to provide for interpolative motion enhancement. I shudder at what would be needed for adaptive 4 vector frame creation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
But how is it possible that most of the 4k-TVs (including Sony) have a motionflow, which is also working, when 4K-material is displayed?

I cannot imagine that a 4000€ TV has more processing power than a 20000€ PJ.

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
I'm completely guessing the 1000 is the oldest of all the Sony 4k models, given its gestation in development, and perhaps that some of the tech was purloined from slightly older Professional 4k predecessors - in toto, the chips used at the time simply weren't spec'ed for it.

Why not change with the 1100? As Mark said, the 1100 was largely to get the minimal 4k compliance offered, and not intended to be a more substantial re-engineer.

Does the 600 offer motionflow on 4k input?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
But how is it possible that most of the 4k-TVs (including Sony) have a motionflow, which is also working, when 4K-material is displayed?

I cannot imagine that a 4000€ TV has more processing power than a 20000€ PJ.

My guess is the TV downscales the material to 1080p, does the motionflow and then upscaled back to 4K. Not even the most powerful consumer GPUs out there currently can apply motion interpolation in real time to 4K content.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
My guess is the TV downscales the material to 1080p, does the motionflow and then upscaled back to 4K. Not even the most powerful consumer GPUs out there currently can apply motion interpolation in real time to 4K content.
Or applies motion flow to a non 4K input signal input before it upscales it to UHD.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts

Good write up Zombie. I see you mention as I kind of suspected, that the RF connection shuts off the IR. I just hooked up my adapter the other day after getting it hardwired with the RJ-45 cable. I haven't even tried it yet. That IR shut off is going to make this 2 month project of mine to get the Sony RF system working quite possibly a massive white elephant annoyingly. I still have to be able to drive the Optoma RF's(like 6 pairs vs 4 pairs Sony brand new from my TV) which I was recently told by a 3D supplier who sells on Ebay, don't use the same RF freq as the Sony/Xpand system. Any chance you've confirmed this, I don't see any Optoma glasses in your write up though? I will most like be confirming it myself in any even when I get 5 mins today.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I need expert advice:
I am planning to install my new Sony VPL-VW1100ES projector. Ceiling Mount.
The screen is EluneVision 4K 240, 150" 16:9, gain 2.40
In Sony manual stated the location of Sony projector (lens) to screen distance is
Minimum 4.47 meter to maximum 9.73 meter.

My HT room can put the projector between 4.47 meter to 7.0 meter from screen surface.

Question:
What is the best/optimal distance to place the projector, to get the best picture quality in term of first Brightness and second other parameters such as picture quality, sharpness, finesse, color etc.

Thanks.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
The more zoom used the more brightness you're going to get. Place it as close as possible if you want max brightness. This will give you the least potential for contrast though. Typically speaking max zoom=max brightness and tele-photo end of the lens=max contrast performance. The lens quality on this projector is basically unrivaled in the consumer marketplace for projectors. You shouldn't visibly notice a difference in sharpness when using max zoom versus other zoom settings. Color should remain the same and overall finesse should look indistinguishable.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I need expert advice:
I am planning to install my new Sony VPL-VW1100ES projector. Ceiling Mount.
The screen is EluneVision 4K 240, 150" 16:9, gain 2.40
In Sony manual stated the location of Sony projector (lens) to screen distance is
Minimum 4.47 meter to maximum 9.73 meter.

My HT room can put the projector between 4.47 meter to 7.0 meter from screen surface.

Question:
What is the best/optimal distance to place the projector, to get the best picture quality in term of first Brightness and second other parameters such as picture quality, sharpness, finesse, color etc.

Thanks.
The shorter the throw, the brighter the picture. The longer the throw, the lesser the hotspotting.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks Seegs, Alex,
I remember my science lesson in the school, the longer the distance, the more light will lost its energy.
I hope I know what I will do, for sure.

Do you think with EluneVision screen of 2.40 gain (glass beaded) is too bright in my bat-cave HT room ?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The only consideration for placement here, disregard all advice regarding placement to obtain brightness v contrast,l which otherwise would be a consideration, is avoiding terrible hot spotting. A good rule of thumb and one that should never be violated is to mount with a throw ratio. screen width/throw distance (of course not mixing inches on top with throw in meters. Your screen is 131 inches wide, giving you a minimum throw (to avoid hot spotting) of 2.4 x 131 inches of about 315 inches. Converting inches to meters, that means slightly over 8 meters and you only have 7. TILT This is a no go. Go to a lesser gain screen or decrease the screen size. Gain is no free lunch and any angular reflective screen with a gain say higher than 1.3 will never let you forget that you are watching off of a reflective surface. There are lots of screen material choices out there with gains that will work quite nicely with you chosen screen size and placement throw options. Your projector has considerable lumens out power. To avoid hot spotting with a 150 inch D 1.78 1.3 gain, you need a little over 4 1/3 meters. Using that as a minimum, I would use a little over the Sony stated minimum of 4.47 meters (I would use minimum of 4.55 meters to be safe).

The Sony has a minimum throw ratio of 1.25. Go slightly longer and mount no closer than 1.3 times 131 if you end up with a 1.3 gain. Just remember to avoid hot spotting use a minimum of the gain factor times the screen width. This is for a white screen. If you end up with a gray with gain, you will need to go further away. The gain will be a number less than 1 for the gray substrate and a sorayed on coating to give you the positive. Thus the sprayed on coating will probably be around 1.6 ending up with an overall gain of say 1.25. Your minimum then would be the sprayed on coating value, usually around 1.6.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Thanks Seegs, Alex,
I remember my science lesson in the school, the longer the distance, the more light will lost its energy.

Do you think with EluneVision screen of 2.40 gain (glass beaded) is too bright in my bat-cave HT room ?

By EluneVision's own description of this screen it is not intended for use an bat cave. Rather it is specifically intended for use in situations where you need to overcome a lot of ambient light. Screens such as this one typically offer rather poor performance for a home theater application. Rather you should be looking for a screen material that offers a very smooth matte white surface with a gain near 1.0 (1.3 max.). Such a surface is especially important with 4K projection where you do not want to be able to see any screen texture, coarseness, or sparklies introduced in the projected image. Look at something like a Stewart screen with their StudioTek 100 or SnoMatte 100 fabric (both gain= 1.0).

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Thanks Seegs, Alex,

The greater throw distance is not the reason for less light on the screen The loss for the extra distance is insignificant. the loss arises because you are using a zoom lens to shrink the mage size down to the screen size. R of the throw distance, provided you stay with the throw range of the lens, you will be lighting up the same screen area. What is happening is the light image exiting the lens at the greater throw is smaller than the exit image at close throw. This means the light pipe or the lens is operating at a smaller pipe if you will and you re restricting how much light the lens can transmit. The effective F stop of the lens is larger the longer he throw nd larger F stop means in essence a smaller diameter of effective lens.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
By EluneVision's own description of this screen it is not intended for use an bat cave. Rather it is specifically intended for use in situations where you need to overcome a lot of ambient light. Screens such as this one typically offer rather poor performance for a home theater application. Rather you should be looking for a screen material that offers a very smooth matte white surface with a gain near 1.0 (1.3 max.). Such a surface is especially important with 4K projection where you do not want to be able to see any screen texture, coarseness, or sparklies introduced in the projected image. Look at something like a Stewart screen with their StudioTek 100 or SnoMatte 100 fabric (both gain= 1.0).

Different Stewart names for the same exact fabric. One name used by the Pro division and the other used by the Consumer division. With a screen ize of 131 inches wide, with the 1000ES etc, ther will not be enough light to adequately light up a 1.0 gain screen. I would go to a 1.3 gain such as the Studeotec 130. ultramatt 150 (1.5) gain would be another good option I have a 54 x 96 Snomat 100 screen from Stewart. I would not want to go wider than that with my Sony. 3D is pretty dim at that size.

9981 - 10000 of 14448 Posts