AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use this projector exclusively for HD material. I was expecting to get about 1000 hours on the lamp before replacing it. However starting at about 300 hours the picture became very dark. Watching movies looked very similar to a bad movie theater where they run the lamps until the last moment.

I had thought the lamp loses 50 Percent of brightness after 1000 hours (I am not using the cinema black because my screen is fairly large), however after only 400 hours I would estimate the light loss at 60%.

So at about 450 hours I just replaced the lamp and now the picture is back to bright and fantastic looking.

Has anyone else using this projector had to replace lamps this early, or should I assume that maybe the first lamp was defective and contact Sony about a replacement?

Berhard

[This message has been edited by bb1987 (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
It is my understanding that one of the characteristics of the bulb used in the VW10HT is that it stays at approximately the same brightness for its entire lifespan and then it suddenly stops working. (This is why you should have a spare on hand like I do.)

I have had my projector for well over a year and have about 700 hours on the bulb (I use the Cinema Black mode) and haven't noticed any appreciable lowering of brightness in the picture nor do I expect to based on the specs of UHP bulbs.

If your projector has lost the brightness you describe I would suspect another cause. Maybe others can chime in here with suggestions (cleaning, etc. ?)

Good luck.

------------------
RAF

D
emented Video Dude since 1997

Computer Maven since 1956
"PITA" since 1942

My HT (last updated 02-05-01)

[This message has been edited by Robert A. Fowkes (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I actually found some posts on another VW 10HT forum from users that had the same experience that I had, so I suspect that some of the lamps are defective in this way. In one case the user was in fact using the cinema black mode and his lamp still went dim after about 350 hours.

According to some of the users Sony actually did replace those lamps so I gave the old lamp to the dealer and am having him contact Sony about replacement.

Officially of course they don't have to since they only warranty the lamp for 90 days.

Bernhard

[This message has been edited by bb1987 (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
RAF,

Unfortunately, UHP expectations are not what theyre touted as being.

In my case my lamp did go dimmer as time went by. To a point where at first I didnt really notice it, but after about two weeks there was only about 10% emission after 400 hours.

I have a new lamp in there now and have measured it using a LDR and a MM as well as a PM 5639 on a white field getting something in the range of 91.8 Cd/m2. I will be rechecking the lamp every month or so for output.

Additionally, I noticed a white crust on the base glass bulb on the inside of the lamp that the new lamp did not have. It might be worthwhile seeing if others also suffer from the same effect.

Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.