AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a projector for quite a while now. Six month ago I almost went for the Sony's 10HT, but now start to consider the Sanyo PLV-60 after all good comments on this forum. While hunting for it here in Hong Kong without success, I noticed thought that the price for the 10HT has dropped dramatically the last months. It sells for HKD 28000 (U$ 3600)! This price drop is that due to the fact that the 10HT is starting to be obsolete? The estimated price for the coming 11HT was HKD 47000 (U$ 6000). Anyone that have had the opportunity to audit the 11HT? Is it that much better then the 10HT that it's worth the extra money? Anyone that knows were I can find a PLV-60 here in Hong Kong and what they cost?

------------------

BR /// Rob

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
$3600? Wow.

The price on this projector continues to drop like a rock off a cliff. If it goes much lower, I'm going to get one myself and set up a second projector in the bedroom http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif . (The D-ILA stays in the theater).

Rob, the PLV-60 did produce a nicer picture than the 10HT at the recent Infocomm exhibits, but I really can't say that it's a better value, considering the price that you quoted on the 10HT. That sounds like a deal.

Of course, the prices only continue to go down from here, so if you stall for a while longer, it might be worth it. Once the 11HT begins distribution, the 10HT price should go to its low point.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Well, JVC in France has been selling the last G20s at $7800, while the initial price here was $21000. This always happens when this kind of product is replaced by a new model. If you accept to be a generation late, you spend 3 times less.

That was even worse for the previous ILA projectors: when the D-ILA started to sell, you could buy an ILA projector for $3000 instead of $100000.

------------------

Robert

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bmwrob:
Anyone that knows were I can find a PLV-60 here in Hong Kong and what they cost?
PLV-60 has arrived Hong Kong. You can contact Mr. Edmond Tam at 2591-6808 to have a demo at Sanyo's showroom in Wanchai. I don't know the exact price. It should be over HK$40000.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
prof_oklitus, the price I mention is for the gray import Japanese version. This means they are not covered by any international warranty. You do get a 1 year warranty from the shop it self though. One of the shops that occasionally ships HW outside HK, is Chinese Club ( http://www.chineseclubnet.com/ ), they are well known in this forum.

CKL, thanks for the information I will give the Sanyo an audit.

------------------

BR /// Rob

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The 10HT has been discontinued by Sony accounting for the dramatic price drops. At those prices, I would be hard pressed to call it obselete. It's still a good unit, though better ones are out there for more money.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Are there better ones out there for $3600?

Dang I wish I could have gotten a G20 for sub $8000. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone that knows if it's possible to later on modify the 10HT with the panel from the 11HT?

------------------

BR /// Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
What is the cheapest price on the 10HT in the US now? The MSRP on sony's website now shows it at $5,999 and yet they are selling it for $7,400 or so on sony's own website, still.

The conventional wisdom of getting it from the $4,499.95 - $300 Mail In Rebate now looks to be gone as they are sold out and the mail in rebate ends on 6/30/01. Any leads on other cheap sources would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Customers in the US seem to getting much higher quotes than the Europeans if a G20 is going for less than $8000.

Why is this?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.