AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone from Ebay has offered to sell me a brand new 12HT for $2000.oo.

Is this a scam ?

How is this PJ as compared to others in the price range.

Thanks

RFK

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I would never buy a projector on Ebay unless I could physically go to the sellers house and see the projector work! Then pay him the cash and pick it up (assuming you don't get mugged then and lose both the projector and the cash!)

There are so many scams on EBAY regarding projectors that there are very few actual sellers out there. They are high quick buck items and no-one will help you when you get screwed. Dollar value way too high...

Good Luck! Remember there is no free lunch!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased my first projector.. an Infocus LP530 off of ebay and had no problems. I payed using a credit card through paypal and bought from a seller who had good feedback and the price was fair. You have to watch out for people who only accept check/moneyorder and who have no or negative feedback. And if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is.. I'm not real sure what a used Vpl -12ht goes for... but $2000.00 does sound a little to good to be true. Bottom line, good deals can be found on Ebay but you have to be cautious.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Stick with a seller who has positive feedback, and pay only with a credit card (not through PayPal). You'll have recourse through your credit card company should anything go awry. I too have had positive experience with high ticket items (no projectors, though) on eBay. If you pay with a credit card through PayPal, you are adding an unnecessary (and unhelpful) layer of bureaucracy between you and your only option for recourse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the replies .

Actually this person has zero feedback. Than the next day his auction was pulled off ebay. When I queried about that. He replied that he had pulled the auction off so he could save the money that he would have to pay E bay.

I would think that it would be worth paying e bay just to get some positive feedback under his belt , which would help him down the road. So all this just made me very cuurious and , I for sure would not buy anything from him.

Thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
Clearly, his reason sounds like BS, and so it was probably a BS sale. 2.5% to eBay is not exactly a fortune. The 0 feedback is the red flag.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I guarantee you that was a scam. You don't just pull you auction to "save money", WTF? It was obviously pulled because ebay found out he was a scammer. I've read about plently of scams in the +5K forum; this is a textbook case. If it's on ebay and it's cheaper than you can find it elsewhere and it's a popular, well known and distributed item like the 12Ht, it's almost 100% likely to be a scam.

Mike U.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.